Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to lose weight in less-than-ideal conditions page

campanella is offline Senior Member

How to lose weight in less-than-ideal conditions

Primal Fuel
    Hi,

I hoped to lose about 5 lbs this summer. However, I ended up going away to an academic program, which leaves me with not nearly enough sleep, weather conditions meaning I can't go outside to exercise - no indoor gym access and no time for calisthenics - and unhealthy food options which leave me eating huge amounts of nuts and yogurt and potatoes.

All in all, I've gained a lot of weight already. Is there any way you can see for me to lose weight while here, or at least stop gaining??
    Especially food wise, I have scrambled eggs, yogurt and nuts, and melon for breakfast, lunch is lettuce, cucumber, and nuts, and an apple. Dinner is usually chicken and about 1/4 cup of vegetables, and mashed potatoes. Not a lot of options.

tradawg is offline Senior Member
    Ditch the nuts...eat a bigger breakfast and dinner and maybe fast through lunch? You need to reduce calories if you're gaining, and nuts are too easy to overeat. Can you do bodyweight exercises inside? Squats, pull-ups, push-ups, lunges...
    $5 off iherb.com: QOC241

"Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good." - Voltaire

For nutrition/wellness tips:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/One...34671179916624

www.onelifeonebodynutritionaltherapy.com

tony991 is offline Junior Member
    Give those weight to me, Haha ,the easiest way!
    Fashion Allure Organization presents you reviews of fashion products.

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    Eat less, move more? I dunno. Your weight gain is mostly water bloat, probably.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    The difficult thing about giving weight loss advice is that everyone responds to food differently. For example, I keep reading people posting repeatedly about keeping carbs low to lose weight, but that doesn't work for me. In fact, eating low carb and higher fat has only ever resulted in my gaining fat. I can only lose fat when I'm eating high protein/low fat. But I know good quality saturated fat is really important to be healthy overall.

So what I'm doing now is to carb cycle - 2-3 days of higher carb (fruit, some potatoes/white rice) and high protein, then 1 day of low carb and higher fat (lamb, rabbit, eggs, etc...) From my understanding, your body can't burn both carbs and fat simultaneously, it's an either/or situation. So the real problem is when you're eating HIGH levels of BOTH fats and carbs, because the carbs will be used preferntially and the dietary fats stored.

There really isn't just one way to eat an lose weight; it ultimately comes down to calories and the art is in how to reduce calories in a way that doesn't seem like a punishment, and doesn't suppress your metabolism, because that really defeats the purpose. You've got to find the way that 1) you enjoy and can stick with, and 2) is possible for you to manage in your circumstances.

Maybe right you don't have as much control over what/when you're eating, so you'll have to improvise a little. What I'd probably do is some form of calorie cycling - a few days lower calorie, with a day of maintenance/slightly above maintenance calories to make sure your metabolism doesn't lower. Google 'calorie cycling' and you should find a lot of stuff on this. Two sources I'd recommend you reading for a more in depth understanding are Lyle McDonald's Body Recomposition website (he's got many excellent articles) and Martin Berkhan's Leangains site. Neither of them are primal/paleo, but you can apply their advice to this way of eating easily.

Articles | BodyRecomposition - The Home of Lyle McDonald

The Leangains Guide | Intermittent fasting diet for fat loss, muscle gain and health

MrsC is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by campanella View Post
    Hi,

I hoped to lose about 5 lbs this summer. However, I ended up going away to an academic program, which leaves me with not nearly enough sleep, weather conditions meaning I can't go outside to exercise - no indoor gym access and no time for calisthenics - and unhealthy food options which leave me eating huge amounts of nuts and yogurt and potatoes.

All in all, I've gained a lot of weight already. Is there any way you can see for me to lose weight while here, or at least stop gaining??
    Especially food wise, I have scrambled eggs, yogurt and nuts, and melon for breakfast, lunch is lettuce, cucumber, and nuts, and an apple. Dinner is usually chicken and about 1/4 cup of vegetables, and mashed potatoes. Not a lot of options.
    Stop eating huge amounts. I know it sounds simple, but overeating even good healthy food can cause weight gain.

Your diet doesn't sound too terrible. Try, for breakfast, either the eggs and melon, or yogurt and melon, maybe on alternate days. Ditch the nuts, unless you're adding them as a small garnish (maybe a tablespoon at most) to the yogurt.

Fruit and salad at lunchtime isn't that bad either, though some form of protein other than the nuts would be good. At dinnertime, increase the veggies and decrease the potatoes.

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    And you can get a workout in less than 10 minutes in your dorm room - just work on pushups and squats, for instance, the hardest variations you can stand, a couple of sets to failure.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

campanella is offline Senior Member
    Thanks all, a lot of useful suggestions. I definitely think I'm eating too much, however I'm not sure how I can cut down the food - I go into a long class after breakfast until lunchtime, and I've found if I have just eggs or the yogurt and not both, my stomach starts growling long before lunchtime.... At dinnertime, they give us a mountain of potatoes or rice and a tiny bit of vegetables, probably due to cost, and I only eat some of the potatoes/rice, but I do need to eat some because the little bit of vegetables they give us is just not enough.

CAlexRose is offline Junior Member
    In that case, it doesn't sound like you're eating enough. Do you have any other sources for food nearby? Is there a story near you?

MrsC is offline Member
    Hunger between meals is normal and natural. Drink a glass of water (or two) if that happens and then move on. I'm not sure when it became the norm to think that we should never be hungry; when I was a little girl (when no one ever snacked and I can't remember anyone being fat) being hungry between meals was thought of as a good thing. "You'll eat a good dinner, then!" lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast