Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Middle Age Spread? page

Razzquills Guest

Primal Fuel

Hi everyone!

I am new to the forum and to Primal Blueprint. I've been "primal" now since the end of February and still can't believe how relatively painless it is (I was a huge carb-o-holic - big Italian family with three main food groups: Pasta, bread, and pastry!)

In any event, I will surely be on the board more with questions/comments, but today I came across several news articles talking about women (particularly...ahem..."middle aged" women)...and exercise, and it was quite depressing. Here are some snippets from a few articles:

"Hoping to keep up that girlish figure into middle age and beyond? You're going to need a lot of exercise to do it." and "If you want to keep middle-aged spread at bay, you're going to have to work a lot harder. A study just published in JAMA looks at just how much exercise is required to prevent middle-age women from gaining weight. And it's a lot. Way more than most people can easily work into their busy lives."

I know Mark talks about avoiding "chronic cardio" and just wondering what experienced people here think of this recent health news and what your experience has been with losing weight "past a certain age".

kuno1chi is offline Senior Member

Razzquills,

Fear not. It really IS about 80% diet. Stick with PB eating, walk around as much as you can during the day, and you'll see your shape start to change for the better. Throw in a couple sessions of lifting heavy stuff, maybe some sprinting once a week...it's totally doable.

I'm 51.

Allbeef Patty is offline Senior Member

I think Kuno1chi handled this one about as well as it could be handled.

Articles like that are awful. My wife always thought I was crazy because I'd yell at the TV, or get all mad over an article that I read. Now she's going to a diet doctor (surprisingly close to Primal, but way too calorie restricted) who is telling her the same things that I've been yelling at newspapers, magazines and TV shows for years.

newbie Guest

Razzquill,

I just asked a similar question. As somebody in middle-age with some spread I get terribly confused. I also saw the exercise segment on the news.I am also very new to the whole concept and just starting on the diet and exercise. In fact I am not even done reading the book and have high hopes for that.

kuno1chi

Has this worked for you? I am 60 and have been adding a few pounds every year for 10 years or so. I just kept thinking that I am not doing enough and adding more. The idea that this CREATES stress and contributes to weight gain did not even occur to me.

Minxxa is offline Senior Member

Honestly my humble opinion is that we get that spread because we eat carby crap for years and our bodies get slowly thrown out of whack over a long period of time. When we've reached the point where our hormone levels are all messed up and we're insulin resistant, and facing other endocrine issues... we gain weight. And the typical "dieting" doesn't work, because our system's a mess.

And i agree with Kuno... it's 80% diet. Walking a lot, occasionally other functional strength stuff.

"Boy I got vision and the rest of the world is wearing bifocals" - Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

one_eye_mike Guest

No offense to the op, but I hate the term "middle age spread." Lets all be honest, it's called getting fat/obese. And frankly, it's a misnomer because the majority of all people of all ages are overweight.

Razzquills Guest

wow, you are all the best! I love this forum. Well, I know this way of eating is not 100% about weight loss (though, that is one of my goals). Primal is just healthier all around and Minxxa, I think your theory about years of eating carby crap sounds right on. As much as I looove pasta and bread (and sweets..oh my!), I just know how overall terrible they are to our systems. Not worth it.

PrimalWannabeGirl is offline Senior Member

Well, I am middle aged. (54)

I have been both extremely fit and lean, and obese. I am currently overweight and underfit, due to having been sidelined from any meaningful activity (and eating crap) for two solid years.

I think it takes a lot LESS work to stay lean in middle age if you were never obese.

If you are or were obese, I think it's a lot harder and DOES take an enormous amount of dedication to acheive.

I worked very, very hard to get down to 140 lbs. on a 5'6" frame at age 50. I ate about 1700 sort-of paleo calories/day but did Crossfit training 4x/week and also cycled about 100 miles/week in season. That's a lot of work. Especially if you consider that my lifetime adult typical weight was around 165---that 140 lbs. was underweight relative to my lifetime setpoint.

I think that some of our expectations of how our bodies should look is skewed by our culture, especially if you are a woman, but increasingly, amongst men.

One of the things I love best about PB is asking myself, "would this be important to Mr. and Mrs. Grok?" Because that focuses me on FUNCTION, FUNCTION, FUNCTION way more than appearance.

I keep my spirits up by focusing on function: how well do I feel? How strong am I getting? How much can I do? I know from experience that form follows function: the more I concentrate on what I can DO, the better I will look.

Sooze

tooround is offline Senior Member

I'm 49. This morning my waist was 27 1/2 inches. I'm not spreading.

I love to walk almost every day. I like my elliptical for sprints (20 minutes or so) and once in a blue moon (must work on this) I do 20 or 30 minutes of weight lifting. Shrug!

I don't really care to be normal or average.

tracy v. is offline Junior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

I am 55, and have been following the Primal eating plan for about a year now, with some lapses. I have found that losing weight is a effortless event, 'even at my age', as long as I avoid grains, minimize sweets, and most importantly for me it seems, hold a daily eating window of about 6-8 hours.

I've shed 20 pounds, down to 135 at 5'6", and still trending down more slowly. Happily, I'm regaining a sense of elasticity, and enlivening moving into my central body (core) that I've not felt in decades.

Daily life includes lots of slow and medium movement, as I live on a farm with animals, pastures and a garden to tend, and heavy lifting means hay bales, wheelbarrows of manure, and pitchforks of compost. I'm curious to add in some sprinting- and find hoof trimming to fall in that category at times!

good luck to you!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast