Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: PUFA so bad? page 4

jimhensen is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Artbuc View Post
    Seems like you are asking for a study that shows (proves?) that PUFA's oxidatively degrade and cause CHD/CVD. I don't think this study exists because I have been looking for it ever since I found this forum. Chris Masterjohn wrote an article that referenced a study which showed oxidized LDL was absorbed by macrophages which in turn formed foam cells whereas unoxidized LDL did not. This may be as close to what we are looking for as we are going to get.
    Maybe the study doesn't exist because pufas don't cause CHD.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jimhensen View Post
    Maybe the study doesn't exist because pufas don't cause CHD.
    Don't go overextending yourself there jim....PUFA does seem to be detrimental in excess. Particularly PUFA toxicity in diets with omega 6 at 10-15% of calories....but these are especially prone to cancer. Dunno about CHD, but death is death right?

Sorry, you did ask for studies....Now I'm not assuming any of these studies are on nuts. Any of you who regularly look at research realize that whole foods are rarely studied (except in epidemiological studies), so looking at the constituents of nuts (O6 being one) and seeing the data on upper limits for O6 before incurring negative health response....well make your own call.... but, there may be more to it.

I understand this is a reductionist pattern of science attempting to resolve a more holistic matter, but lets face it ...this is how science is done. If a nut is greater than the sum of its parts (which I think it is) then don't worry so much....For instance nuts tend to contain certain vitamins (like vitamin E) that in in other trials have been shown to eliminate at least one of the negative health aspects of higher O6/pufa diet. http://www.fasebj.org/content/13/15/2138.short

From what I see pufa can be bad....but particularly from nuts or in the accompaniment of good antioxidants?...not so certain.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 07-21-2012 at 06:19 PM.

peril is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dommers View Post
    That sounds sensible. If eat nuts I eat too many and become to rely on expecting / looking forward to the snack, so now I have cut out all snacks. I am happy to have them in the odd salad or dish, or one day I want to get around to trying a. primal satay sauce, but for now, I can go without.
    Look for Indonesian satay recipes - no nuts, just coconut milk. Usually have soya sauce though, but its not hard to find wheat free fermented soya sauce
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

katemary is offline Senior Member
    Dommers must be a spambot he copied my post. But I will take that advice Peril, thanks.

Is the wheat free fermented soy that tamari sauce?

Quote Originally Posted by Betorq View Post
    Gee thanks. In theory it's just another day, although...in fact, everyone has to do things my way & agree w/ me for the next 12 hrs or so, lol
    How did that go?

Hope you had a good one...

Betorq is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by katemary View Post
    How did that go?

Hope you had a good one...
    Thanks, it was a seafood extravaganza, for my b-day.
    "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
    "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
    "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Betorq View Post
    Thanks, it was a seafood extravaganza, for my b-day.
    yummo. now, everyone else is in charge for 364 days!

KerryK is offline Senior Member
    For those of you reading who take fermented cod liver oil, I'm wondering how much you take? There were a couple comments in th Real Food Summit about it not necessarily being a good thing, though whether that came from others besides Matt Stone/Ray Peat followers, I can't recall.

I just got some FCLO/HVB (blue ice from Green Pastures) for my 9 yr old son and 93 yr old Father. I'd like them to take a tsp during the week (breaking for the weekend) and perhaps take a month off here or there. I'm thinking it might be better and more important in the winter months anyway. But what's your regime? I have the gel, btw, as it's somewhat cheaper. If I could afford it, I'd take it myself, too! But I'm thinking a tsp is not a huge amount and shouldn't overload their systems. Since it's fermented and refrigerated I don't think there is a concern about it being rancid.

Quote Originally Posted by KerryK View Post
    For those of you reading who take fermented cod liver oil, I'm wondering how much you take? There were a couple comments in th Real Food Summit about it not necessarily being a good thing, though whether that came from others besides Matt Stone/Ray Peat followers, I can't recall.

I just got some FCLO/HVB (blue ice from Green Pastures) for my 9 yr old son and 93 yr old Father. I'd like them to take a tsp during the week (breaking for the weekend) and perhaps take a month off here or there. I'm thinking it might be better and more important in the winter months anyway. But what's your regime? I have the gel, btw, as it's somewhat cheaper. If I could afford it, I'd take it myself, too! But I'm thinking a tsp is not a huge amount and shouldn't overload their systems. Since it's fermented and refrigerated I don't think there is a concern about it being rancid.
    IMO fermented cod liver oil is food. You can definitely supplement with it and not have ill effect. Most of the fish oils from reputable sources (like the one you have) have expiration dates on them. Before that date they should be perfectly safe. There are definitely still individual instances where O3 supplementation are beneficial.

The change in thinking is the idea that "more is better", or that you have to calculate your O6 and supplement UP to that ratio with O3. These are the incorrect. If your concern is ratio just eliminating seed oils and other non primal foods reduces your O6 enough to where you could either eat a bit of fish OR do a little smart supplementing.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 07-24-2012 at 06:19 AM.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast