Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: LDL at 357 ng/dl, young, lean athlete on Paleo 7 years page

chingu is offline Junior Member

LDL at 357 ng/dl, young, lean athlete on Paleo 7 years

Primal Fuel
    Hey guys this is my first post here but I've been on the Paleo diet since my teens and before this site. Maybe before Marc, no idea. I'm 25 years old.

Anyway I suffered from a bout of acute pancreatitis recently and I got some bloodwork done when I got to my home country and my doctor found that I have very high LDL cholesterol.

I look fairly fit, with a six pack and a low bodyfat percentage at a high weight, I've been fighting professional Muay Thai and college Judo, although I understand fitness and health are not the same thing.

However it really irks me that I have tried to do everything right since my teens, and now I have to go on statins or suffer a heart attack by my 30's. Just so you know, I just came back from seeing my doctor so I feel some injustice about that.

My doctor also said it is imperative I start the statins immediately or I'm at risk for another bout of pancreatitis, which is life threatening. He said I won't have a cardiac event right away but I should begin statins for the pancreatitis. I certainly don't want acute pancreatitis again since it was some of the worst pain I've gone through, however I'm not convinced that hypercholesterolemia is linked to it. My doctor says that was the definite cause of my pancreatitis though. (FYI, I had the attack in Korea while traveling and only got partial tests done, a couple months later, now, in Canada, I got my cholesterol done).

My doctor believes I probably have familial hypercholesterolemia. I am not getting genetic testing for FH; I am in Canada and there is the issue of using the government's resources so my doctor did not refer me.

Anyone else out there who had cholesterol levels similar to mine, or who has FH? Anyone have any advice on statin drugs and which ones have the least side effects?

PS: I am getting the LDL subfractions tested soon.

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    I am not an expert but it is about more than LDL numbers. What are the rest of your numbers like HDL, Trigs?
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Goldie is offline Senior Member
    Chingu, you might want to check out this thread: Griff's Cholesterol Primer

What is the "it" that you are referring to? Familial hypercholesterolemia is basically strictly about LDL numbers. I suppose you're referring to atherosclerosis? Certainly acute pancreatitis has a lot of relation to triglyceride levels, since high triglycerides are a known cause.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldie View Post
    Chingu, you might want to check out this thread: Griff's Cholesterol Primer
    Thanks. That does not seem to mention the genetic disorder called familial hypercholesterolemia. Nor does it answer any questions relating to acute pancreatitis.

Does anyone think it is possible that I do not have FH yet have 357ng/dl LDL?

I would like to get the genetic testing done by 23andme.

bionicsamm is offline Senior Member
    You can have a scan done to check if you have narrowing/inflammation/plaque build-up. If that's clear, tell your doctor to take a hike. I have a friend who has FH and so do her 2 children. None of them are on statins.

mommymd is offline Senior Member
    Hyperlipid

The above blog is written by a vet in the uk. He has written in the pat about FH and statins. You may find answers there.

Mommymd

Quote Originally Posted by WaltherHa View Post
    I am not an expert but it is about more than LDL numbers
    What is the "it" that you are referring to? Familial hypercholesterolemia is basically strictly about LDL numbers. I suppose you're referring to atherosclerosis? Certainly acute pancreatitis has a lot of relation to triglyceride levels, since high triglycerides are a known cause.

Quote Originally Posted by bionicsamm View Post
    You can have a scan done to check if you have narrowing/inflammation/plaque build-up. If that's clear, tell your doctor to take a hike. I have a friend who has FH and so do her 2 children. None of them are on statins.
    I would like to do this, however there is healthcare rationing in my country (Canada). I'll try to press my doctor on it further.

Note that my doctor suggested I go on statins to reduce my chances of a recurrent attack of acute pancreatitis though. So if I had healthy arteries I wouldn't exactly tell my doctor to "take a hike."

Did your friend do genetic testing for FH? Have any idea what her numbers were like? Are you saying she got a heart scan done and looked fine?
    Last edited by chingu; 07-18-2012 at 09:01 PM.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Pancreatitis is very serious and horribly painful - so I understand your hesitance to ignore your doctor. My one concern would be that my understanding is that statins increase the risk of pancreatitis, not decrease it.

I think statins have shown benefit in FH. However, I would also suggest the coronary artery scan and doing anything you can to keep your inflammation low.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast