Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: LDL at 357 ng/dl, young, lean athlete on Paleo 7 years page 3

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I can't speak to the FH issue, since I don't knwo what would be good advice there. But as a young man with no history of heart attacks you should *NOT* take statins.

Care to post your trigs and HDL as well? They are much better indicators of health than LDL, or at least combine to paint a better picture.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magicmerl View Post
    I can't speak to the FH issue, since I don't knwo what would be good advice there. But as a young man with no history of heart attacks you should *NOT* take statins.

Care to post your trigs and HDL as well? They are much better indicators of health than LDL, or at least combine to paint a better picture.
    I think the data is different for FH than for the run of the mill healthy person with high cholesterol. If i recall correctly there is pretty good data to show that statins can protect from heart attacks in the case of FH. My inclination would be that you still require inflammation to get deposits even in FH, but it's hard to know for sure.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

chingu is offline Junior Member
    For those who recommended the coronary calcium scan, I don't think I can do it, I think there are no machines for it in my province. As of 2011 anyway. They might be doing it now, since there is so much published research on it. However the government did not believe it was worth the resources to get the 64-ct ccta scanners or whatever they use, last year.

I might do it next year in Korea or Thailand. I might go to Mexico for only a week this fall and I can see if they have it there, but I feel better about Thailands prices and service.

Quote Originally Posted by bionicsamm View Post
    If you think you need statins then you don't understand cholesterol and how it actually works in the body. And if you really want the testing, get another doctor (if yours won't do it.) Statins do NO GOOD for people of your demographic.
    How much do you know about FH? Statins do no good for people with FH?

Note: I do not know if I actually have FH, as I haven't done the genetic testing yet. But I am asking you these questions to point out your strong claims are coming from a place of utter ignorance.

Quote Originally Posted by magicmerl View Post
    You cannot simultaneously hold these two statements together.

Trigs were 1.06 mmol/l
    HDL 1.64 mmol/l

bionicsamm is offline Senior Member
    They're not coming from a place of utter ignorance. Many of my family members have FH, luckily I have escaped it. I also have friends who have it (as previously stated.)

I have already explained what testing you need, FH or not, Canadian or not, it doesn't matter. If you want statins, take them.

And I'm confused as to why your HDL is in ng/dl but your trigs and HDL were in mmol/l. Did you use an online converter or something?

ETA: How many boards are you going to ask this on? You've gotten decent advice on 3 boards now but you're not listening to anything anyone is saying to you. If you really don't know anything about cholesterol, stop and listen to what everyone is saying. If you think you know it all and why you're in this situation, then stop asking
    Last edited by bionicsamm; 07-19-2012 at 10:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by chingu View Post
    You cannot simultaneously hold these two statements together.
    Sorry, the second sentence should have been more qualified.

But as a young man with no history of heart attacks you should *NOT* take statins simply because you are worried about your cholesterol being too high.

Trigs were 1.06 mmol/l
    HDL 1.64 mmol/l
    FFS. Why do you drip feed information to people trying to help you? And really, in different units from your LDL as well.Did you read Griff's Cholesterol primer? If you haven't yet, please do so.

Your Trig/HDL ratio is 0.65, when it should be less than 2. This is excellent, since it tells you that your LDL is the large puffy good kind. So you shouldn't worry about your LDL either. High LDL-C is ONLY a predictor of heart disease insofar as it tracks with LDL-P. But don't take the advice of someone on the internet. Get a test done so you KNOW whether your LDL-P is high or not.

Incidentally, the standard cholesterol test doesn't even measure LDL, it just infers it from the values for Total, Trigs and HDL. And the calculation is less accurate the lower your trigs are.

How much do you know about FH? Statins do no good for people with FH?

Note: I do not know if I actually have FH, as I haven't done the genetic testing yet. But I am asking you these questions to point out your strong claims are coming from a place of utter ignorance.
    No, that person is posting advice that does not apply IF you have FH. As was I.

Look, I can understand you being stressed out, feeling that you're at risk from a heart attack. Please take steps to inform yourself and read Griffs cholesterol primer.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    This study does have some important flaws, but I would think twice about casually dismissing statin use if I had a real case of FH.

Efficacy of statins in familial hypercholesterolaemia: a long term cohort study | BMJ
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Quote Originally Posted by jammies View Post
    This study does have some important flaws, but I would think twice about casually dismissing statin use if I had a real case of FH.

Efficacy of statins in familial hypercholesterolaemia: a long term cohort study | BMJ
    Oh, I completely agree. That's why in my previous post I said "I can't speak to the FH issue, since I don't knwo what would be good advice there."

I thought that it would be obvious that anything else I said subsequently should not be taken as advice to help the OP deal with FH. Apparently not.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by bionicsamm View Post
    And I'm confused as to why your HDL is in ng/dl but your trigs and HDL were in mmol/l. Did you use an online converter or something?
    Why does it matter to you? I converted to ng/dl in my thread title so Americans could understand.

ETA: How many boards are you going to ask this on? You've gotten decent advice on 3 boards now but you're not listening to anything anyone is saying to you.
    What boards did I ask this on, Paleohacks and here? lol. I came here because I wasn't getting any answers on Paleohacks when I originally asked the question. What do you think that appropriate time to wait after posting a message on Paleohacks and not being satisfied with the replies would be, your majesty?

If you really don't know anything about cholesterol, stop and listen to what everyone is saying.
    I know a lot about cholesterol. Or at least, I know a lot more than the average Paleotard who throws around advice without having ever opened a medical journal (not referring to you). So it angers me when people offer absolutely rediculous advice without having any knowledge of FH. When someone asks me a question and I have not researched something, I don't give them strong opinions based on my religion. I just tell them I don't know. Many people on the Paleo diet are following a religion.
    If you think you know it all and why you're in this situation, then stop asking
    I don't think I know it all. There is a lot to learn.
    Last edited by chingu; 07-20-2012 at 12:17 AM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast