Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ketosis epic fail - what am I doing wrong? page 2

Figlio di Moros is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    You have to be diabetic to get a meter like that? I wouldn't mind beig able to home check my own stats every once in a while; I did a general wellness profile for the first time in January, and wouldn't mind keeping track of the numbers more frequently.

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    When my husband and I had bloodwork done last year, both of our results showed that ketones were present. At the time, we were both eating on average 150+ carbs/day.

This means either:
    Ketosis is a big F-ing joke.
    OR
    We're in ketosis way more often than we think, it's not necessary to be so carb restrictive to reach that goal.

That being said, I don't strive to reach ketosis, I don't really think it's necessary, useful, or healthy. Just eat real, good quality food.

Figlio di Moros is offline Senior Member
    Ketones don't mean you're in ketosis; they mean you're not a complete, sedentary lard-ass. You can have different levels of ketones present.

Betorq is offline Senior Member
    Neuroprotective and disease-modifying effects of the ketogenic diet
    Excerpt: Neuroprotective and disease-modifying effects of the ketogenic diet
    The ketogenic diet has been in clinical use for over 80 years, primarily for the symptomatic treatment of epilepsy. A recent clinical study has raised the possibility that exposure to the ketogenic diet may confer long-lasting therapeutic benefits for patients with epilepsy. Moreover, there is evidence from uncontrolled clinical trials and studies in animal models that the ketogenic diet can provide symptomatic and disease-modifying activity in a broad range of neurodegenerative disorders including Alzheimer’s disease and Parkinson’s disease, and may also be protective in traumatic brain injury and stroke. These observations are supported by studies in animal models and isolated cells that show that ketone bodies, especially β-hydroxybutyrate, confer neuroprotection against diverse types of cellular injury. This review summarizes the experimental, epidemiological and clinical evidence indicating that the ketogenic diet could have beneficial effects in a broad range of brain disorders characterized by the death of neurons. Although the mechanisms are not yet well defined, it is plausible that neuroprotection results from enhanced neuronal energy reserves, which improve the ability of neurons to resist metabolic challenges, and possibly through other actions including antioxidant and anti-inflammatory effects.
    "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
    "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
    "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by BestBetter View Post
    When my husband and I had bloodwork done last year, both of our results showed that ketones were present. At the time, we were both eating on average 150+ carbs/day. This means either:
    OR
    We're in ketosis way more often than we think, it's not necessary to be so carb restrictive to reach that goal.
    That being said, I don't strive to reach ketosis, I don't really think it's necessary, useful, or healthy. Just eat real, good quality food.
    Ketones can be present if you eat an early dinner & test for them the next morning on an empty stomach. Many people who do medical exams or procedures are asked to fast. Ketone levels & readings of ketones will flucuate in any given 24 hour period for any person. Test @ 7am on an empty stomach, 1 reading, test again after lunch, a different reading etc

Metric is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Betorq View Post
    Neuroprotective and disease-modifying effects of the ketogenic diet
    Excerpt: Neuroprotective and disease-modifying effects of the ketogenic diet
    The ketogenic diet has been in clinical use for over 80 years, primarily for the symptomatic treatment of epilepsy. A recent clinical study has raised the possibility that exposure to the ketogenic diet may confer long-lasting therapeutic benefits for patients with epilepsy. Moreover, there is evidence from uncontrolled clinical trials and studies in animal models that the ketogenic diet can provide symptomatic and disease-modifying activity in a broad range of neurodegenerative disorders including Alzheimer’s disease and Parkinson’s disease, and may also be protective in traumatic brain injury and stroke. These observations are supported by studies in animal models and isolated cells that show that ketone bodies, especially β-hydroxybutyrate, confer neuroprotection against diverse types of cellular injury. This review summarizes the experimental, epidemiological and clinical evidence indicating that the ketogenic diet could have beneficial effects in a broad range of brain disorders characterized by the death of neurons. Although the mechanisms are not yet well defined, it is plausible that neuroprotection results from enhanced neuronal energy reserves, which improve the ability of neurons to resist metabolic challenges, and possibly through other actions including antioxidant and anti-inflammatory effects.
    That's how I originally found out about Primal. I was researching Ketogenic Diet for my epilepsy with the hopes of reducing my meds since I am like a zombie on them. Turns out, by eating Keto/Primal (high fat, mod pro, low carb) my Tegretol side effect of absolute exhaustion has disappeared. Woohoo, no longer a walking zombie!

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Metric View Post
    That's how I originally found out about Primal. I was researching Ketogenic Diet for my epilepsy with the hopes of reducing my meds since I am like a zombie on them. Turns out, by eating Keto/Primal (high fat, mod pro, low carb) my Tegretol side effect of absolute exhaustion has disappeared. Woohoo, no longer a walking zombie!
    Tegretol is evil. That was the first med I tried for my seizures and it felt like the worst hangover you have ever had in your life, but it never ends. I'm so glad that Primal is helping with the side effects for you.

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BestBetter View Post
    When my husband and I had bloodwork done last year, both of our results showed that ketones were present. At the time, we were both eating on average 150+ carbs/day.

This means either:
    OR

I go into ketosis too eating around 150 -180 g carbs a day (not counting fiber). The more insulin sensitive your muscles, and the more active you are, the easier ketosis is to achieve, as the bulk of ingested glucose will be taken up by the muscles, not the liver, especially when starch intake is focused post-workout.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Metric View Post
    Congrats on successfully treating yourself primally, side effects suck from what I can see around me & what I hear from others.

So it sounds like you reduced your meds. If so, what is your reduced dose of Tegretol? From what former dose to what amount now & in what amount of time did you do it in? I have a former client/friend in Calif who takes that med I think... I had him on a MCT ketogenic diet 7 years ago before I knew about paleo/primal. He went from 2 grand mal seizures a week to 1 a month. But his f/t care takers were carb/sweet freaks who wouldn't continue the diet for him coz they were carbing out themselves & feeding him sweets. That was when I bought my 1st 5 gallon bucket of wholesale organic EVCO, ha...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12