Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tabata sprints day after heavy lifting? page

mgage is offline Junior Member

Tabata sprints day after heavy lifting?

Shop Now
    Hi,

I'm fairly new to going primal and wanted to work sprinting into my exercise plan. Yesterday I did a session of moving heavy things, which included working the leg muscles with squats. Is it worthwhile to do tabata sprints today, since my leg muscles probably aren't completely healed? I'm just not sure when to work them in since it seems like on any given day I'll either be recovering or working out.

Thanks!

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    i almost always do my sprints the day after a lifting day. it takes me more to recover from sprints than it does from lifting, and i always seem to have enough energy the next day. give it a try, and if you are too tired, try a different day next week.

how often are you lifting? it's a lot easier to fit in sprints if you only lift twice a week, and you can always work on certain exercises throughout the week without calling it a workout (i.e. doing pull ups every day to increase your numbers).

I'm working out twice a week or I should really say I do three rest days in between, so the actual days vary. I'll give it a try since I'm not feeling sore.

pace2race is offline Senior Member
    Since you're doing Tabata's have you considered doing them on a stationary bike instead of running? Fitness gains still happen without as much risk of pulling or straining something. I lift four times per week and end each lift session with a 10 set or 5-minute Tabata. My upper legs and calves burn and I'll wobble a bit afterwards but have no signs of a strain or muscle fatique from them. My heart rate is lower now and I can run just fine the next morning.

I've done them twice on an elliptical machine. It's definitely a decent workout, but I just don't feel like it really allows me to go all out. Plus, the machine creaks and I just feel kind of ridiculous in the gym!

pace2race is offline Senior Member
    I can relate to that. Everyone just moving on the machines don't know what to make of the gasping, heavy breathing and sweat in just 5-minutes. I'm kind of the opposite. I run lots and like to road race often. I can get much higher intensity on the bike than I can push myself into running sprints. It's worth it performance wise however you can get there. It's proven for me to provide a different dynamic and has helped lower my race times from 5k to 1/2M.

bryanccfshr is offline Senior Member
    I sprint even the day of heavy squats. The body will adapt.
    Integrity is what we do when nobody's watching.

dgreenwood is offline Senior Member
    I used to sprint the day after squatting with no problems and then one day while sprinting I developed a tight knot in my quad that felt like it was going to tear if I kept sprinting. It stayed tight for a few days but I was able to squat with no problem by the time my next workout came around. I haven't sprinted the day after squatting since and that has really cut down on my frequency of sprints since I rest two days between workouts. I basically cut my "sprint eligible" days in half.

I think this is a mental thing since I did it so often with out problems before this occurred so I need to get over it. I think concentrating on a few half speed warmups prior to sprinting will go along way toward injury prevention and also alleviate the mental hangup I've developed.

EvRevFit is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dgreenwood View Post
    I used to sprint the day after squatting with no problems and then one day while sprinting I developed a tight knot in my quad that felt like it was going to tear if I kept sprinting. It stayed tight for a few days but I was able to squat with no problem by the time my next workout came around. I haven't sprinted the day after squatting since and that has really cut down on my frequency of sprints since I rest two days between workouts. I basically cut my "sprint eligible" days in half.

I think this is a mental thing since I did it so often with out problems before this occurred so I need to get over it. I think concentrating on a few half speed warmups prior to sprinting will go along way toward injury prevention and also alleviate the mental hangup I've developed.
    Have you tried foam rolling your quads? It may not necessarily be mental as much as neuromuscular, and working the area might help to relieve any self-protective tendencies the muscle might have.

Personally I haven't ever had issues sprinting the day after lifting. The only thing I avoid is after a heavy deadlift session, when my hamstrings are already thrashed.
    Josh Vernier, CPT

My Journal

Evolution Revolution Fitness

"The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me."

-Ayn Rand

dgreenwood is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EvRevFit View Post
    Have you tried foam rolling your quads? It may not necessarily be mental as much as neuromuscular, and working the area might help to relieve any self-protective tendencies the muscle might have.

Personally I haven't ever had issues sprinting the day after lifting. The only thing I avoid is after a heavy deadlift session, when my hamstrings are already thrashed.
    Using the foam roller was exactly how i dealt with that knot for two days in order to squat on my next workout. I should use the roller more often but I tend to go to it only when I want to loosen up something that feels tight.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast