Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tabata sprints day after heavy lifting? page 2

EvRevFit is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by dgreenwood View Post
    Using the foam roller was exactly how i dealt with that knot for two days in order to squat on my next workout. I should use the roller more often but I tend to go to it only when I want to loosen up something that feels tight.
    Use it as a regular recovery tool. Also, do you stretch after using it? That'll generally help to reduce the regrowth of the knot. If you're willing to spend the money, try this. It's the best foam roller I've come across so far.
    Josh Vernier, CPT

My Journal

Evolution Revolution Fitness

"The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me."

-Ayn Rand

dgreenwood is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EvRevFit View Post
    Use it as a regular recovery tool. Also, do you stretch after using it? That'll generally help to reduce the regrowth of the knot. If you're willing to spend the money, try this. It's the best foam roller I've come across so far.
    I haven't made it a point to stretch after rolling but I will if it will help keep the knot loose. Thanks for the tips.

I haven't made it a point to stretch after rolling but I will if it will help keep the knot loose. Thanks for the tips.
    No problem! I had a horrible knot that kept bothering me in my right calf a while back. That was about the time I started studying corrective exercise. The key is to loosen it up, then stretch it out.

It does come back occasionally, but I pretty much keep it at bay using my Rumble Roller and deep stretching.
    Last edited by EvRevFit; 07-19-2012 at 04:34 PM.
    Josh Vernier, CPT

My Journal

-Ayn Rand

*Deleted*
    Double post
    Last edited by dgreenwood; 07-19-2012 at 05:07 PM.

No problem! I had a horrible knot that kept bothering me in my right calf a while back. That was about the time I started studying corrective exercise. The key is to loosen it up, then stretch it out.

It does come back occasionally, but I pretty much keep it at bay using my Rumble Roller and deep stretching.
    Ughh...knots in your calf are the worst! A couple of years ago I had it going on in both calves as well as some Achilles tendinitis that I was battling. The tendinitis was caused by tight calves but I couldn't stretch my calves very well because of the knots. I ended up with small tears from trying to stretch out those knots on multiple occasions. I was so frustrated!

I broke my ankle which finally forced me to let my calves rest and the tendinitis clear up. When I was rehabbing the ankle I worked with the PT to strengthen and lengthen the calves/achilles. They've been fine since but I'm really careful to stay up on those stretches/exercises because it was a nightmare for a long time.
    Last edited by dgreenwood; 07-19-2012 at 05:09 PM.

Ughh...knots in your calf are the worst! A couple of years ago I had it going on in both calves as well as some Achilles tendinitis that I was battling. The tendinitis was caused by tight calves but I couldn't stretch my calves very well because of the knots. I ended up with small tears from trying to stretch out those knots on multiple occasions. I was so frustrated!

I broke my ankle which finally forced me to let my calves rest and the tendinitis clear up. When I was rehabbing the ankle I worked with the PT to strengthen and lengthen the calves/achilles. They've been fine since but I'm really careful to stay up on those stretches/exercises because it was a nightmare for a long time.
    It can be horrible when they get bad. I had one in my lower back from a deadlifting incident that ended in a minor strain...but the adhesion that developed kept getting inflamed and pressing on my sciatic. It took a deep-tissue massage from hell to get it broken up enough. Now I'm all about injury prevention. I foam roll at least 3x a week...every night is my goal.
    Josh Vernier, CPT

My Journal

-Ayn Rand

It can be horrible when they get bad. I had one in my lower back from a deadlifting incident that ended in a minor strain...but the adhesion that developed kept getting inflamed and pressing on my sciatic. It took a deep-tissue massage from hell to get it broken up enough. Now I'm all about injury prevention. I foam roll at least 3x a week...every night is my goal.
    Can you recommend any resources to help develop a daily roller routine? I love my foam roller but I'm only at the point where I figure out how to roll on any muscle that is tight or sore. A general nightly routine for injury prevention sounds interesting.

Can you recommend any resources to help develop a daily roller routine? I love my foam roller but I'm only at the point where I figure out how to roll on any muscle that is tight or sore. A general nightly routine for injury prevention sounds interesting.
    I'm actually in the process of putting together an article for my blog on that exact topic. I'll let you know when I get it posted! (I'm shooting for Monday right now) It's one of those areas that just hasn't gotten enough attention...I actually can't think of anything out there involving rolling as a daily routine off the top of my head.
    Josh Vernier, CPT

My Journal

-Ayn Rand

Quarry is offline Senior Member
    I'm actually in the process of putting together an article for my blog on that exact topic. I'll let you know when I get it posted! (I'm shooting for Monday right now) It's one of those areas that just hasn't gotten enough attention...I actually can't think of anything out there involving rolling as a daily routine off the top of my head.
    I'll be interested in this article

wolfman is offline Senior Member
    I sprint after my workouts. Even leg days, I just drive to a hill and sprint up it 10 times.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast