Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: how to build up to pullups? page

rabbidchicken69 is offline Senior Member

I have been doing different kind of body weight exercises and lifting weights but i still can't manage to do even one pull up i can do push ups and burpees and dips and about any other body weight exercise that you can think of but i can't manage to do even one pull up and it is kind of frustrating me. I keep trying a couple times a week to do a couple half pullups but i'm not seeing any progress i am pretty fat for my size i weigh 228 now and i'm only 5` 5" i have already lost 27 pounds i don't want to invest in any equipment that i don't already have which is a weight bench and about 150 lbs of weight. should i just stick to doing other exercises till i lose more weight or should i keep trying to do pullups couple times a week?

john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member

Yes, you need to lose more weight. Pullups and chinups are difficult for beginners even at a healthy weight.

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member

What you can do is put a chair or something underneath the pullup bar, rest one or two feet on there, and use just enough of your legs to allow you to do one or two good pullups, and train from there.

You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

bruce.b is offline Member

Do negatives. Start at the top and *slowly* lower yourself down.

Another way is to place a chair where you can put a foot on it and assist a bit with the pullup.

I'd do both and play around with it often during the week. You want to get a bunch of reps every week but not kill yourself and get injured.

bruce b.

I agree with bruce... I couldnt even do a single pullup 3 months ago so I began using a chair to get my chin over the bar and then begin a super slow (10 sec) decent into the fully lowered position. I started with as many as I could do 2-3 times a week. Even a that it took over a month until my shoulder muscles were strong enough to do a single pullup. Keep trying this method until you gain the back strength for a full pullup. You are essentially dead lifting your full 228lbs and lack the strength in those muscles. Keep it up!

Brit is offline Junior Member

bruce.b said it right (as with everyone else), negatives are a great way to build upper body strength.

Also, put your pull-up bar in a doorway that you go through often. Everytime you go into the kitchen, do one pull-up. When you leave, do one more. Or the bathroom, etc...

Start with those negatives for a week or two, pretty soon you'll be doing the real deal!

Side note, if you have access to a gym, do lat pull-downs.

jostle is offline Senior Member

I'd say go through the following progression.

Assisted: With a chair, friend, or lowered bar

Negatives: Hold a flexed arm hang position for 10 secs and slowly lower on a 5sec count.

Pull-up

Also, bicep curls, bent over rows, and inverted pulls may help build to get to a pull-up.

As you lose the weight it should become easier, since pulling 228 is a lot for your size.

Timothy is offline Senior Member

Another thing you can do is jump up and just hang from the bar as long as you can. This was really helpful in improving my grip strength at first. Also, I suggest cross-training with a sledgehammer. That will help get your core muscles under control and build muscle mass generally.

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member

Negatives and band assisted pullups are good starters...

Tangent is offline Junior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Resistance bands can also be an aid (tie them/loop them) around the bar, and then put your feet in them. Or have a partner "spot" you by holding your feet. And of course, if you're really into it, the CF kipping pull up.

http://stronglifts.com/how-to-do-pul...per-technique/

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast