So I've been reading up on Mark's posts about diabetes and am certain that my dad has developed late Type 1 diabetes because he is insulin dependent. Best case scenario, he is only Type 2 and can regain his insulin sensitivity through diet and exercise. Worst case, he'll be sticking himself with insulin for the rest of his life. Either way, I fear his biggest problem (aside from being insulin resistant) is being lifestyle-change resistant. My mom has given up on trying to get him to toss the Peanut M&M's and other simple sugars from his diet, not to mention the breads and complex carbs that are no doubt bombarding his cells daily. Recently he had a margarita with lunch (it was his birthday, in his defense) and then later had a chocolate shake with a buddy (also to celebrate)...that night he experienced a huge dip in his blood sugar levels as he tested below 40. So what did he do? Had some M&Ms! He was baffled at, after the huge amount of simple sugar he had, how low his blood sugar was, and I tried to explain to him that his body went in to overdrive trying to rid his blood of the excess sugar, which probably resulted in a low level after being fairly active that evening (someone correct me if that's wrong).

I'm incredibly sad for and frustrated with my dad. I want him to live a long and healthy life, but I don't see how that's possible with his current lifestyle. Is there a way back for my dad from Type 2 diabetes? And how can I get him to change decades of bad habits and start adopting a Paleo lifestyle?