Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coconut Milk Tastes Bad? page

abs
    abs is offline Junior Member

Coconut Milk Tastes Bad?

Shop Now
    I was curious about coconut milk and decided to buy a can. Drank a little bit of it plain and it didn't taste very good. I would describe it as a very dull skimmed milk with a strange aftertaste. Ingredients list coconut milk extract 27%, water and emulsifiers.

Does your coconut milk taste good? What's in your coconut milk?

Gadsie is offline Senior Member
    I don't like it plain either. But with a banana and cacao powder blended in it is delicious
    Billie trips balls

abs
    abs is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gadsie View Post
    I don't like it plain either. But with a banana and cacao powder blended in it is delicious
    Thanks for the idea, I'll give it a go.

Gravyboat is offline Senior Member
    I don't like it plain. But in thai curry form... Man, I could slurp that shit down all day every day. Mmmmm.

_-J o u r n a l_--------- ---- ---- --- --- -- -- -

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member
    I love my coconut milk by itself, plain. Tastes delicious. Must be your emulsifiers

(for the record, I made a post earlier about how Thai Kitchen coconut milk tastes so shitty compared with brands that don't have fillers. just something to consider...)

You could also try making your own. That tastes, by far, the best out of all the coconut milk possibilities.

Dulcimina is offline Senior Member
    27% coconut extract sounds really watery. It should be at least 60%. I'm not home, but I think the only ingredients in mine are coconut, water and metabisulfite (?). I'm not brand-loyal, though so it depends.
    I normally only use coconut mik for cooking, so I can't speak to the deliciousness of drinking it straight from the can.

Dulcimina is offline Senior Member
    Sakura girl

Can you make coconut milk from the dried stuff? I have made coconut milk from a fresh coconut, but there was blood. at pretty much every stage.

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dulcimina View Post
    Sakura girl

Can you make coconut milk from the dried stuff? I have made coconut milk from a fresh coconut, but there was blood. at pretty much every stage.
    I've never tried. I've heard of people doing it, but I'd rather make it fresh if I'm going to go through the trouble of straining everything, plus I don't have to worry about the weird chemical fillers to keep the dried stuff from rotting.

How did you have so much trouble with the fresh coconut?

Betorq is offline Senior Member
    @WaltherHa
    By itself, doesn't it get lonely? Oh yeh, it has your love to comfort it. Ha x2

Canned anything is pretty dead, that's why it can last for years in a can. Fresh is great, but it is work. But it ought not be bloody work. I do use canned milk regularly or frozen coconut extracts (that can exceed well over 60%). I also enjoy Thai tender young coconuts too, do try those for a treat. Generally they'll cost anywhere from $1-2 a piece @ Asian grocers. Non-organic but what the hey. WholeFools has non-organic ones, small ones, for $2.50/each, haha

DashFire is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dulcimina View Post
    27% coconut extract sounds really watery. It should be at least 60%. I'm not home, but I think the only ingredients in mine are coconut, water and metabisulfite (?).
    Agree with this. I buy either 60% or 70% and its' just coconut & water. However, the ones without the 3rd ingredient (preservative) are listed as needing to be used in 2 days of opening, so depends if you are using a full can.

I'd look for another brand, that isn't so watery.
    My Primal Journal - Food, pics, the occasional rant, so...the usual.

I love cooking. It's sexy science that you stuff in your face. - carlh

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast