Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Eating WHEN and protein intake page

braves10 is offline Junior Member

Eating WHEN and protein intake

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Has anybody thought of the correlation between Mark’s idea of eating when hunger ensues naturally (WHEN) and total protein intake. It seems that if one actually starts to listen to their body and their hunger cues, they won’t eat as often or as much (especially if you are in tune with your full signal – and eat when satisfied). For someone who is very active and who tries to eat WHEN, is it not possible for them to run the risk of not getting enough protein in the diet? Even Mark says he eats 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight in order to keep his lean body mass. I see this being fairly difficult if you are trying to eat WHEN with a decent amount of lean body mass. Any thoughts or is it something to not really worry about?

Lawyerchick12 is offline Senior Member
    well considering that there are 4 calories in every gram of protein, an active 180lb man, would need 180 grams of protein which would translate to 720 calories. So to answer your question, no, with careful planning you can get your protein requirement.

Dailytribal is offline Senior Member
    huh? I thought it was less

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    "...a minimum you need 0.5 gram of protein per pound of lean mass per day to maintain your “structure” and healthy body composition. If you are even moderately active, you need closer to 0.7 gram, and if you work out regularly (or under a fair amount of stress), you need as much as one gram of protein per pound of lean mass."

Sisson, Mark (2009-06-01). The Primal Blueprint: Reprogram your genes for effortless weight loss, vibrant health, and boundless energy (p. 87). Primal Nutrition, Inc.. Kindle Edition.

If I weigh 165 and have 10% body fat that makes my intake for being very active 148.5g/day. I ate 126g in one meal yesterday.

Tom B-D is offline Senior Member
    Good question Neckhammer, I've been wondering this too. IF today, first meal at noon with 3 eggs, some yogurt, 3 pcs bacon, probably 35g protein tops; at 4pm had a snack of Primal Fuel shake, nuts, mackerel (not holy), probably another 25-30g protein, going to have dinner soon, probably 30g protein. I'm 6'-2", 178lb., probably about 150g LBM; no way am I getting 150g protein today. And I'm not hungry enough to eat much more. What to do?

jimhensen is offline Senior Member
    I don't like the "eat when you are hungry" for a few reasons. Protein/micronutrient requirements are one of them. Another one is that hunger can be somewhat subjective and a lot of people have hunger systems that are out of whack.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jimhensen View Post
    I don't like the "eat when you are hungry" for a few reasons. Protein/micronutrient requirements are one of them. Another one is that hunger can be somewhat subjective and a lot of people have hunger systems that are out of whack.
    Just shut down the forum Mark...I actually agree with this freaking guy. I quit.

Seriously though, this may be the most rational thing you have ever written. Kudos.

Nady is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jimhensen View Post
    If you had ever done a real fast, cut the carbs/grains, not responded to low blood sugar due to more than 3 hrs. between carb 'fixes', you would know what genuine hunger feels like. It's just 'different'. It's like, *salad is the most wonderful food in the world* satisfaction

To me, focusing on just eating when hunger ensues naturally seems the absolute simplest/stress free way of eating. Sometimes, I like to strap down and count my protein intake just to get a feel of what I am taking in. But at 6'1''-6'2'', 185lbs, I definitely am active enough to justify an intake of 165-200 grams of protein on average daily. However, if I am honest with myself, and truely follow my hunger cues, I feel more like I am eating just to get those macros in, instead of eating intuitively, eating because my body is asking to be fed.

Has anybody ever thought about this? Is this how active people and athletes are supposed to eat? Eat to sustain instead of reacting and doing what feels right for your body?

I mean, i think also, it would be a great weight loss strategy for people to truly get in tuned with their body and listen to the real hunger cues. They'd probably realize that they would be eating a lot less.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast