Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Physical Inactivity Worldwide Gender breakdown page 3

happytummy is offline Junior Member
    Shop Now
    I wonder where these statisticians get their data. I occasionally do surveys online and am asked whether I do any sports at the moment. The answer is currently 'no'. I am constantly running around after two small children. I walk three miles to the shops pushing a pram on a regular basis and only ever sit down to eat. I have never had a weight problem and since adopting a more Grok like diet I have really struggled to maintain my weight. The person interpreting the data however would have no way of knowing this as the questioning is ineffective.

Just to confuse things even further, while there is a link between inactivitiy and obesity, the two are not synonymous. Many women eat portion sizes that enable them to maintain their body weight however much or little exercise they get. To put it bluntly, and at risk of upsetting men, you hardly ever see a skinny guy with an overweight woman, but you often see a skinny woman with an overweight guy.

CaveWeirdo is offline Senior Member
    If it's based on a survey it may simply indicate which people tend to overestimate how much exercise they do. I know a few people who like to boast about how hard they work and I sometimes wonder whether it's all lies and they secretly get paid for sitting around!

It's interesting that Britain is one of the lazy countries. Is that because we're genuinely lazy? Or is it because many of us consider walking a mile to the shops and back as 'errands' and wouldn't count it as exercise?

I wouldn't say I'm very active, I go for a jog once a week and perhaps do just enough daily activity to pass the minimum. However, I don't drive so I walk everywhere, I do all the household chores (since my OH works 12 hour shifts), including carrying lots of groceries home from the supermarket.

I could easily be twice as active as someone else who considers themselves moderately active, when actually they drive everywhere, delegate tasks to family members, and drive to the gym twice a week to do non-challenging 'cardio'.
    Last edited by CaveWeirdo; 07-22-2012 at 06:45 AM.
    Start weight: 238 lbs (March 2012)
    Current weight: 205 lbs (July 2012)
    Loss so far: 33 lbs!!!
    WOE: Primal + IF
    Movements: Hiking, sprinting.
    Goal: to see my abs some time in 2013!

Tribal Rob is offline Senior Member
    Well you can argue all you like but that map proves I'm surounded by lazy feckers
    You know all those pictures of Adam and Eve where they have belly button? Think about it..................... take as long as you need........................

Figlio di Moros is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by happytummy View Post
    To put it bluntly, and at risk of upsetting men, you hardly ever see a skinny guy with an overweight woman, but you often see a skinny woman with an overweight guy.
    Where, on sitcoms? I see busted-ass women with way fitter men all the time.

Saoirse is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Figlio di Moros View Post
    I do too. Most of the time, couples match each other in weight, but not always. I usually assume a woman is larger than her male other half because she has had children and struggled taking off the weight, but maybe that's an erroneous assumption. I also see women who are fit coupled with men who are overweight. People sometimes have different priorities, even when they're married.

Quote Originally Posted by CaveWeirdo View Post
    It's interesting that Britain is one of the lazy countries. Is that because we're genuinely lazy? Or is it because many of us consider walking a mile to the shops and back as 'errands' and wouldn't count it as exercise?
    Totally agree with you there CaveWeirdo. BTW how do you get your stats up at the end of a post? And what does WOE mean?

Are things really so different in the US?

I've never seen a big woman with a leaner male with the exception of a couple I used to know. The poor things got stared at by the bumpkins wherever they went - it was a pretty unusual sight.

Quote Originally Posted by Figlio di Moros View Post

Saoirse is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by happytummy View Post
    Totally agree with you there CaveWeirdo. BTW how do you get your stats up at the end of a post? And what does WOE mean?
    WOE- way of eating

CaveWeirdo put his stats in his signature. i don't remember exactly how to do this, but if you poke around under the link "my settings" you should see "edit my signature" on the left hand side.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123