Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unflavored gelatin for collagen page

Rosemary 231 is offline Senior Member

Unflavored gelatin for collagen

Shop Now
    I've started taking 1Tablespoon of unflavored gelatin twice a day for extra collagen since I'm not able to make my own bone broth right now so I'm buying and drinking the best I can find and just hoping I'm getting the same benefits. Can someone tell me how to get the gelatin down the quickest and easiest way without it forming a "glop" in my mouth and sticking to my teeth? I could take the morning dose mixed with my bone broth, that I'll be heating anyway, but the one before bed is more difficult.

Any ideas where I can buy the gelatin in larger amounts thus cheaper. $1.99 for 4 envelopes of less that a Tbl each in expensive!
    Last edited by Rosemary 231; 07-18-2012 at 08:10 AM.

Gilleh is offline Senior Member
    you're not supposed to take it as a supplement
    you got unflavored gelatin - make jello with some fruits
    Everything is bad for something - How do you feel today?

meghanwaslike is offline Junior Member
    You can also mix it in tea if you don't want the bone broth at night. And I don't know if this is cheaper per serving, I didn't do the math, but here's some on Amazon: : Great Lakes Unflavored Gelatin, Kosher: Grocery & Gourmet Food
    F/28/5'10"
    GW: No clue since I have never been thin. I'm "big boned" frame-wise so I'm shooting for 170-ish, but I'll see when I get there, I guess.
    CW: 268
    SW: 316

As of 7/17/12 Down 48 pounds!

Why not take it as a supplement?

Quote Originally Posted by meghanwaslike View Post
    You can also mix it in tea if you don't want the bone broth at night. And I don't know if this is cheaper per serving, I didn't do the math, but here's some on Amazon: : Great Lakes Unflavored Gelatin, Kosher: Grocery & Gourmet Food
    That's a good idea but I'm trying to ease off liquids toward evening so I don't run to the bathroom several times during the night. I did look at Great Lakes Gelatin after reading Mark's post yesterday. It's sort of pricey but considering I take only 2 TBLS a day and you get 2 cans in the order, it may work out cheaper than I thought. Thanks.

dwkdnvr is offline Member
    You might consider this one instead - http://www.amazon.com/Great-Lakes-Ge...f=pd_sim_gro_2. This version doesn't 'gel', and so is more appropriate for making broth and mixing into beverages.
    A bit pricey, but you can get it in 6 and 12 can packs directly from Great Lakes for a fair bit less per can if it turns into a staple.

That looks good and it sure would be more convenient. Do you know if the fact it doesn't gel would affect the value of the collagen or other nutrients? If it didn't glop up I could just stir it into a little liquid and drink it down. By the time I finished scrapeing it off the inside of my mouth yesterday, I knew one thing, I could stand the unflovored taste long enough to get it down, it was just the texture.

dwkdnvr is offline Member
    From the FAQ on the Great Lakes site, they claim that nutritionally they're equivalent. I can't personally say one way or another, as our first can is still in transit.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosemary 231 View Post
    Why not take it as a supplement?
    ignore that....you can supplement with it.

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    You can also order collagen powder if you're interested in taking it as a supplement.

I just bought this one from iherb:

Doctor's Best, Best Collagen Types 1 & 3, 7.1 oz (200 g) - iHerb.com

It's $9.36 for 30 servings (or a total of 200 grams).

I bought a little box with 4 envelopes of unflavored gelatin (28 grams) for $1.29. To buy 200 grams worth of unflavored gelatin at this price, it would cost exactly the same. Assuming your envelopes come to a total of 28 oz, this would be the equivalent of $14.20, so ordering the collagen online would be cheaper.

However, I think that this collagen might be better quality and more effective (I have no proof of this) because I think that the commercially produced gelatin powder made for baking/jello purposes sold in the supermarket is probably processed to hell using methods that I'd rather not know about, and not a good substitute for real, homemade bone broth.

That being said, you've got to do the best you can, and if making broth is not possible right now, taking gelatin or collagen in powder form is probably the next best thing.

As to how to take in in the most enjoyable form, why not make jello out of it? i make some herbal tea (rooibos works well) and either add the gelatin to it without sweetener, or i steep some stevia leaf with my tea to make it a little sweeter, then put it in the fridge overnight for a cold treat the next day. Alternately, you could make a coconut milk pudding with it.
    Last edited by BestBetter; 07-18-2012 at 10:48 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast