Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Unflavored gelatin for collagen page 2

Rosemary 231 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BestBetter View Post
    You can also order collagen powder if you're interested in taking it as a supplement.

I just bought this one from iherb:

Doctor's Best, Best Collagen Types 1 & 3, 7.1 oz (200 g) - iHerb.com
    Thanks, this look like a better path to where I'm trying to go.

As for taking the geletin, I don't really mind dissolving it in just a little water and drinking it down. I sprinkled it on my cold, just out of the fridge, bone broth (from a carton), let it sit 5 minutes, then heated it in the microwave till hot. It was fine. Late afternoon I'd want to sprinkle it on tap water and drink.

Betorq is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosemary 231 View Post
    I've started taking 1Tablespoon of unflavored gelatin twice a day for extra collagen since I'm not able to make my own bone broth right now so I'm buying and drinking the best I can find and just hoping I'm getting the same benefits. Can someone tell me how to get the gelatin down the quickest and easiest way without it forming a "glop" in my mouth and sticking to my teeth? I could take the morning dose mixed with my bone broth, that I'll be heating anyway, but the one before bed is more difficult. Any ideas where I can buy the gelatin in larger amounts thus cheaper. $1.99 for 4 envelopes of less that a Tbl each in expensive!
    Have you tried it frozen? Like a gelato or frozen pudding?
    $10.50/lb very economical imo, NOW company is a dependable brand, NOW Beef Gelatin Powder

Last edited by Betorq; 07-18-2012 at 12:07 PM.
    "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
    "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
    "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Betorq View Post
    $10.50/lb, NOW company is a dependable brand, NOW Beef Gelatin Powder
    This looks good - maybe I'll try ordering this one next time. Does it have a strong flavor/smell?

I mainly give it to my husband since he HATES the flavor of bone broth. He's not crazy about the collagen powder, either, but somehow he still prefers it. I use it when I can't get bones from the farmers market because someone else beat me to it.

Have you tried it frozen? Like a gelato or frozen pudding?
    $10.50/lb very economical imo, NOW company is a dependable brand, NOW Beef Gelatin Powder

I buy my Vitamin D3 in the NOW brand. I've been very satisfied. That's a good idea.

Well, gelatin is supposed to be tasteless & mostly odorless. If I bought some & it was smelling strongly, I'd return it...

Buying it in bulk is a fine option to making & consuming bone broths.

Fresher is always better yes technically, but practically time/access/cost/inclination to do homemade bone broth doesn't always work out for everyone.
    "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
    "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
    "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown

Well, gelatin is supposed to be tasteless & mostly odorless. If I bought some & it was smelling strongly, I'd return it...

Buying it in bulk is a fine option to making & consuming bone broths.

Fresher is always better yes technically, but practically time/access/cost/inclination to do homemade bone broth doesn't always work out for everyone.
    I sincerely hope I'm not kidding myself by thinking that drinking "store-bought" beef and chicken stock will benefit me as well and the homemade bone broth.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosemary 231 View Post
    I sincerely hope I'm not kidding myself by thinking that drinking "store-bought" beef and chicken stock will benefit me as well and the homemade bone broth.
    you know any other good jokes?

Gregmh is offline Junior Member
    I had the same problem until I read you're supposed to leave it in water for a minute or so, then if forms a gel that is not so sticky. I use to add it directly to my hot broth and it turned into a teeth sticking goo. Now I leave it in a cup with 4-5 tbsp of water and in a minute it forms a gel that's not so sticky, then add it to my broth, totally different texture and consistency. I'll also drink it cold, add to a 1/4 or 1/2 cup of water, let it sit and soak up the water for a minute or so, add some BCAAs, add some ghee, drink it straight down. Adding even more water makes it even more liquids, so it seems the secret is to let it sit in water a few minutes, and stir it after a min or so. My thinking is it's a great way to get high quality protein and tissue repair without the additives in other protein sources, although I consume other sources too. Some say adding a little fat/ghee, blunts the protein gluconeogenisis insulin response effect. I'm not sure about that but I'm never afraid to add fat to anything so sounds good to me.

meepster is offline Senior Member
    I think it's much better to just make jello out of it. I haven't done it recently, but if you make a smoothie out of any sort of fruit or veggies, heat it up, dissolve the gelatin in it, and refrigerate, you get absolutely yummy jello. Try coconut milk and raspberries that way - absolutely delicious.

loltrim is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I think it is also great because it gives us the most rewarding sharing and I hope it will also be shared much more, thanks
    Last edited by loltrim; 07-09-2014 at 09:50 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12