Thread: BMJ study on paleo diet and ischemic heart disease in women? page

Joeybannoey is offline Junior Member

BMJ study on paleo diet and ischemic heart disease in women?

Primal Fuel
    Hello

I am a new user of this site and new to the paleo lifestyle. I am a physician and have always been interested in nutrition. When I was recently introduced to the paleo diet I became very intrigued - it made sense to me scientifically and clinically. I have been doing research as we're taught to do in medicine, and I have a few questions for you all. My main concern is whether or not there are adverse effects for women who live a paleo life (and/or do intermittent fasting - something I have done for some time just by virtue of my job). Our hormonal profile is quite different and fluctuate compared to men so I am interested in hearing from you all on this topic.

I have found a few studies that are somewhat suggestive of the paleo diet leading to adverse outcomes for women. Today I opened my BMJ newsletter and found the following study:

Low carbohydrate-high protein diet and incidence of cardiovascular diseases in Swedish women: prospective cohort study | BMJ

Low carbohydrate-high protein diet and incidence of cardiovascular diseases in Swedish women: prospective cohort study.

The study controlled for all comorbidities/lifestyle variables as well as proportion of carbs to protein. What do you think? My two critical comments would be that they did not measure dietary fat intake or make up, nor did they specify the type of protein (which relates to dietary fat). So not sure what to make of these results.....

Thanks! I'm pretty excited to start this adventure into the paleo life

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    Pretty sure this has been talked about before but I am sure someone will find the link and/or respond

Just to be clear this is not a low carb "diet" it is about eating whole, real food and avoiding toxins.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Joeybannoey View Post
    Hello

I am a new user of this site and new to the paleo lifestyle. I am a physician and have always been interested in nutrition. When I was recently introduced to the paleo diet I became very intrigued - it made sense to me scientifically and clinically. I have been doing research as we're taught to do in medicine, and I have a few questions for you all. My main concern is whether or not there are adverse effects for women who live a paleo life (and/or do intermittent fasting - something I have done for some time just by virtue of my job). Our hormonal profile is quite different and fluctuate compared to men so I am interested in hearing from you all on this topic.

I have found a few studies that are somewhat suggestive of the paleo diet leading to adverse outcomes for women. Today I opened my BMJ newsletter and found the following study:

Low carbohydrate-high protein diet and incidence of cardiovascular diseases in Swedish women: prospective cohort study | BMJ

Low carbohydrate-high protein diet and incidence of cardiovascular diseases in Swedish women: prospective cohort study.

The study controlled for all comorbidities/lifestyle variables as well as proportion of carbs to protein. What do you think? My two critical comments would be that they did not measure dietary fat intake or make up, nor did they specify the type of protein (which relates to dietary fat). So not sure what to make of these results.....

Thanks! I'm pretty excited to start this adventure into the paleo life
    A couple things jump out-

They didn't control for the types of fat- newbs often eat way too much O6 polyunsaturated fat.
    The trend is going against low carb to appropriate carb.
    Many of the longer-term primals end up not being high protein.
    They didn't control for processed foods.
    They didn't control for Iron.
    They didn't control for trace elements.

Paleo/primal is still evolving.

anna5 is offline Senior Member
    I think Denise is dealing with this issue.
    Raw Food SOS

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    denise minger did a guest post about that study a couple of weeks back:

Is It Time to Retire the Low-Carb Diet Fad? | Mark's Daily Apple

basically, yeah, the study isn't worth paying attention to.