Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fasting page

Raiken3712 is offline Senior Member

Fasting

Shop Now
    So I've been fasting for 4 days and my blood sugar meter read as 53 or low...saying low blood sugar...than I did the test again and it said 91....that was yesterday...today I did it...redid the test and it said it was a little above 50 again..

So two tests in a row with a little over 50...maybe I am really low blood sugar. I feel fine...my eyes have been blurring a bit from time to time...was thinking maybe computer eye strain, but than after my low blood sugar tests actually came up twice instead of going up to 91 on a retest I thought that maybe its because my blood sugar is low.

People sometimes fast for extended periods just fine...what is it that causes blood sugar to drop lower than necessary. Is it just slow conversion of my fat? Its not a major deal I don't think as I'm not planning on an extended fast anyway, but I was curious about this since I've never fasted for more than 4 days.

Did another test its now showing 55 from 53...so it seems like its going up...maybe its just slow because my body isn't as efficient as it should be. I also noticed today that after several days losing 2 pounds or more that I only lost .5 pounds...maybe related?

Also what are the possible reasons for a test showing 53 and than testing again and getting a 91. With 3 tests in a row showing low blood sugar...I'm thinking the 53 yesterday was accurate...but if it was why did it immediately show 91 on a retest.

Can't wait till they have non stick meters with more accuracy...would be really cool...probably 15 years out though. I haven't heard anything in a long time...I guess their are lots of issues to work out involving meters that work without sticking your fingers. I want a tricorder already :P

When blood sugar levels fall below 55 mg /dl, the brain does not function normally. Patients can appear confused and their reflexes are slowed. The condition is considered “severe hypoglycemia” when the patient is unable to help correct the low blood sugar themselves and needs assistance from another.

Just read this on something talking about low blood sugar...so 53 the level I was at for a bit causes slowed reflexes and confusion....don't feel like that is happening. I'll make sure to check it in 15 minutes and make sure it doesn't go below 50. Below 40 from what I've read so far is troubling. Anyone know of any potential issues related to 53-55?(long term damage issues as opposed to short term that will go away after I start eating again) I should be fine as long as I stay above 50 I think...

4th test was a 56...may not indicate anything..or maybe its going up...which it should unless my body prefers being in the low 50s. Considering the eye blurring I don't think that's the case.
    Height: 6'1"
    Primal start date: July 1st 2011
    Start Weight: 275
    Current Weight: 248
    Stats below as of September 1st 2011 Tested via BodPod
    Body Fat 25.4%
    Fat Mass 63.721
    Fat Free Mass 74.6%
    Fat Free Mass 187.087
    Goal weight: 180-200 lbs(Recommended weight is around 180 for my height but that sounds low)
    Total lost so far: 27 lbs

5th test 70....6th test 57...why my meter does these weird things I have no clue. I don't think the meter is bad but readings are skewed for some reason at times.
    Body Fat 25.4%
    Fat Mass 63.721
    Fat Free Mass 74.6%
    Fat Free Mass 187.087
    Goal weight: 180-200 lbs(Recommended weight is around 180 for my height but that sounds low)

meghanwaslike is offline Junior Member
    I never trust the meter reading, honestly. I'm diabetic (hoping to reverse that here shortly) and my best gauge for low blood sugar is me. If I'm low I get shaky and dizzy. If I hold my hands out in front of me they tremble visibly like an alcoholic before they have their first drink of the day. Since I started following TPB, I haven't had a single low blood sugar episode. Even if I work out fasted it doesn't drop. At least not enough to cause me any problems. My meter is always jumping around if I do tests in succession. I stopped testing and I just go by A1C readings now. I get three a year, usually, and in March, when I was still getting into TPB, I was at 7.3. My last test was 7/2 and I was at 6.4. I know I'm headed in the right direction. If I feel really off, I'll test, but I haven't felt really off in a long time. Its nice not having to think about crashing.

Hope you figure out what's up!! And I sincerely hope that your meter is just wonky and that you aren't about to fall out on us.
    F/28/5'10"
    GW: No clue since I have never been thin. I'm "big boned" frame-wise so I'm shooting for 170-ish, but I'll see when I get there, I guess.
    CW: 268
    SW: 316

As of 7/17/12 Down 48 pounds!

I feel fine no shaking. My arms extended are stable I don't feel really low energy...though I don't feel full of energy either. I think I'm fine...my only concern is if low blood sugar has anything to do with my blurry eyes...if that could cause lasting damage or if my eyes are only temporarily doing that and will suffer no issues after I start eating again.

I'm fairly sure my blood sugar is low entirely because its the beginning of the day and I'm fairly sure its going up to a better level even if it isn't 70 its on its way up.

Just curious since I love jackkruse.com so much have you been there? I love marksdailyapple but Jack's site has a ton of interesting information as well as a forum.
    Jack Kruse

Tons of awesome health information in those blogs, comments, and the attached forum. It never hurts to have more than one source for inspiration.

Good luck on your journey.
    Body Fat 25.4%
    Fat Mass 63.721
    Fat Free Mass 74.6%
    Fat Free Mass 187.087

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    I think that extended fasting can have some real health benefits, especially for folks with serious digestive disorders. However, it's something that you must be EXTREMELY careful about. In addition to monitoring your blood sugar, I'm hoping you're also keeping a close check on your pulse and blood pressure.

I repeatedly tried to do extended fasts because I was suffering from IBS and hoped the break from digestion would help to get ride of my pain and bloating. However, I discovered that while I have no hunger issues when fasting, I can not go more than 24 hours without food because my body starts shutting down. My pulse dropped into the 40s, I started getting arrythmias, and my BP which is already low got WAY too low.

As soon as I ate some sugar/carbs, my heart started functioning correctly. Coconut oil, electrolytes, and bone broth had ZERO effect in improving my vital signs. This happened several times, and I realized that it was too dangerous for me to go so long without eating. Had my husband not forced me to eat some fruit, i possibly could have gone into cardiac arrest, because for all the low vital signs I was registering, I felt 'fine'.

Extended fasting can be very dangerous. If you are getting worrying results, don't push it. (Unless you have awesome health insurance and want to get the most out of it.)

Nady is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BestBetter View Post
    Extended fasting can be very dangerous. If you are getting worrying results, don't push it. (Unless you have awesome health insurance and want to get the most out of it.)
    I would agree up to a point~ I think longer fasts are fine if you're fat adapted . If you're new to primal or followed a SAD/grazing type of WOE, it will take awhile to get blood sugar levels stabilized. Then try extending the fasts slowly~ like, by an hour at a time.

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nady View Post
    I would agree up to a point~ I think longer fasts are fine if you're fat adapted . If you're new to primal or followed a SAD/grazing type of WOE, it will take awhile to get blood sugar levels stabilized. Then try extending the fasts slowly~ like, by an hour at a time.
    I'm totally fat-adapted. It has nothing to do with blood sugar issues or feeling hungry - in fact, I can easily go all day without eating when I want to. I think IF is great, but it's easy to take a good thing too far. Some people can fast for an extended period of time, but for others, it's really not a good idea. The problem is that most people, me included, can't admit when something is not a good idea even when facing some very clear signs that their body is in trouble.

I haven't decided yet when I'll stop...I don't have a blood pressure meter but when I go to work I'll see if I can get one done...I work at Walgreen I think that's something I might be able to do there for free.
    Body Fat 25.4%
    Fat Mass 63.721
    Fat Free Mass 74.6%
    Fat Free Mass 187.087

Nady is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BestBetter View Post
    I'm totally fat-adapted. It has nothing to do with blood sugar issues or feeling hungry - in fact, I can easily go all day without eating when I want to. I think IF is great, but it's easy to take a good thing too far. Some people can fast for an extended period of time, but for others, it's really not a good idea. The problem is that most people, me included, can't admit when something is not a good idea even when facing some very clear signs that their body is in trouble.
    I was hoping to offer the OP balanced info on fasting. Glad you have your answers, but you must realize your issues are not the norm~

meghanwaslike is offline Junior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by Raiken3712 View Post
    I feel fine no shaking. My arms extended are stable I don't feel really low energy...though I don't feel full of energy either. I think I'm fine...my only concern is if low blood sugar has anything to do with my blurry eyes...if that could cause lasting damage or if my eyes are only temporarily doing that and will suffer no issues after I start eating again.

I'm fairly sure my blood sugar is low entirely because its the beginning of the day and I'm fairly sure its going up to a better level even if it isn't 70 its on its way up.

Just curious since I love jackkruse.com so much have you been there? I love marksdailyapple but Jack's site has a ton of interesting information as well as a forum.
    Jack Kruse

Tons of awesome health information in those blogs, comments, and the attached forum. It never hurts to have more than one source for inspiration.

Good luck on your journey.
    Cool, I'll check it out. Good luck on yours, too!
    F/28/5'10"
    GW: No clue since I have never been thin. I'm "big boned" frame-wise so I'm shooting for 170-ish, but I'll see when I get there, I guess.
    CW: 268
    SW: 316

As of 7/17/12 Down 48 pounds!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast