Page 532 of 555 FirstFirst ... 32432482522530531532533534542 ... LastLast
Results 5,311 to 5,320 of 5541

Thread: Before and after pics page 532

Lora B is offline Junior Member
    Wow! I'm a new member who's 45. Thank you for inspiring me. I have never been able to wear shorts ( legs like tree trunks). You look fantastic! There may still be time for me to have the feeling of a summers breeze on my legs in shorts instead of having to cover up my unsightly flesh in trousers no matter how hot it is. I won't even wear skirts as I have cankles and I'm afraid of the skirt/dress catching the breeze and showing my body. This gives me hope. I am in my own prison but it gives me hope. You are not dressed inappropriately. You are covered and decent. You worked hard. I hope I can look as good as you. I plan too.

LauraSB is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by drothpharmd View Post
    . Thank God for this diet. Saved my life.
    I hear you on that! You look great!
    50yo, 5'3"
    SW-195
    CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
    GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

RaeVynn is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lora B View Post
    Wow! I'm a new member who's 45. Thank you for inspiring me. I have never been able to wear shorts ( legs like tree trunks). You look fantastic! There may still be time for me to have the feeling of a summers breeze on my legs in shorts instead of having to cover up my unsightly flesh in trousers no matter how hot it is. I won't even wear skirts as I have cankles and I'm afraid of the skirt/dress catching the breeze and showing my body. This gives me hope. I am in my own prison but it gives me hope. You are not dressed inappropriately. You are covered and decent. You worked hard. I hope I can look as good as you. I plan too.
    You may find, as I did, that eliminating grains & legumes vastly reduces the swelling/edema that makes for cankles. I had them for years. I have actual ankles now, even though I'm still very heavy.

kathleen is offline Senior Member
    Well I've been doing this since March, and I figure it's high time for before and after pics...

This is me in September 2012, before I went gluten free, soy free, nut free. I did not know I had so many food allergies. I was barely able to breathe hiking up this mountain, I have no idea how I made it to the top. Turns out the massive congestion and wheezing was a result of eating foods I was allergic to, all the time, every day (bread, soy, etc.) I tried my darndest to squeeze into a ladie's size 6, but let's be real; if I fit into anything larger than a 6, I simply did not purchase it! I weighed at least 158 pounds (in July 2012 my weight was 158 for my yearly exam; I never weighed myself again until March 2013).

This is me in December 2012, singing in a performance. I post this because this is what prompted me to go in for allergy testing; I was so bloated that I looked pregnant, and was so super embarrassed after this show about the way I looked. I remember getting really sick about an hour after the show, running to the bathroom. I was bloated like this all the time. I was bigger than I ever was in my entire life, and did not fit into any of my pants anymore. Having to buy pants in a larger size was a serious blow to my self-esteem. This was the turning point, where I decided to take ownership of my health by fixing my diet.

This is me in March 2013, after I cut out gluten, soy, nuts, but before I started on Primal (I was still eating a lot of corn and rice products at this point). I did not wheeze at all this hike, and made it to the top very quickly with little rest. I weighed about 150 lbs.

Here I am in July 2013, right before I went to my yearly checkup and weighed 137 lbs. I have not weighed myself since then, but would assume I probably weigh a little less, but certainly not more. I can tell in the way I walk that it's easier to carry myself. I also bought a pair of shorts at the GAP, ladies size 2, with room to spare! I am wearing them in the picture below. And, best of all, I am fitting into all my clothing I still have from when I was in high school (I always held onto those jeans, in hopes I would one day fit them again). It is good to know I can wear a Junior's size 1 or 3. Losing the weight and becoming healthy has made me happier, both with my self esteem, and also I think because I'm not as groggy and weighed down since switching to a predominately primal diet. Processed foods are not welcome back into my life.

Here I am last night, replacing gross processed gluten burger buns with two meat patties, 100% beef. In between is a tomato, aged cheddar, and onions. This is how I normally eat. No bread, mostly meat, veggies, fruit, and some dairy. I make an exception for dark chocolate, and the occasional cane sugar or stevia soda. For carb-heavy food, I will only have potatoes, rice and quinoa, with the occasional corn product. I don't know how much I weigh now, but I can tell with my face there is a huge difference from one year ago. The weight isn't as important to me anymore as the way I look--last night I also put on a swimsuit in front of some of my friends for the first time in a very long time.
    Last edited by kathleen; 08-18-2013 at 12:53 PM.
    Stumbled into Primal due to food allergies, and subsequent elimination of non-primal foods.

Start Gluten-Free/Soy-Free: December 2012; start weight 158lbs, Ladies size 6
    Start Primal: March 2013, start weight 150lbs, Ladies size 6
    Current: 132lbs, Ladies size 2
    F/23/5'9"

26lbs lost since cutting the crap.

Betorq is offline Senior Member
    What's that super cool Lord of the Rings Spider leg-looking tree in your photo? You look fabulous - so happy, joyous and free in your latter photos, congrats! Wearing pants from high school?! How long ago was that? I was lean & weighed 138 lbs or maybe 140 upon graduation. Now, 30 years later I'm around 155 lbs, but I have a lot more muscle since going Primal & lifting weights again.
    Quote Originally Posted by kathleen View Post

This is me in March 2013, after I cut out gluten, soy, nuts, but before I started on Primal (I was still eating a lot of corn and rice products at this point). I did not wheeze at all this hike, and made it to the top very quickly with little rest. I weighed about 150 lbs.

Here I am in July 2013, right before I went to my yearly checkup and weighed 137 lbs. I have not weighed myself since then, but would assume I probably weigh a little less, but certainly not more. I can tell in the way I walk that it's easier to carry myself. I also bought a pair of shorts at the GAP, ladies size 2, with room to spare! I am wearing them in the picture below. And, best of all, I am fitting into all my clothing I still have from when I was in high school (I always held onto those jeans, in hopes I would one day fit them again). It is good to know I can wear a Junior's size 1 or 3. Losing the weight and becoming healthy has made me happier, both with my self esteem, and also I think because I'm not as groggy and weighed down since switching to a predominately primal diet. Processed foods are not welcome back into my life.

Here I am last night, replacing gross processed gluten burger buns with two meat patties, 100% beef. In between is a tomato, aged cheddar, and onions. This is how I normally eat. No bread, mostly meat, veggies, fruit, and some dairy. I make an exception for dark chocolate, and the occasional cane sugar or stevia soda. For carb-heavy food, I will only have potatoes, rice and quinoa, with the occasional corn product. I don't know how much I weigh now, but I can tell with my face there is a huge difference from one year ago. The weight isn't as important to me anymore as the way I look--last night I also put on a swimsuit in front of some of my friends for the first time in a very long time.
    "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
    "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
    "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown

kathleen is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Betorq View Post
    What's that super cool Lord of the Rings Spider leg-looking tree in your photo? You look fabulous - so happy, joyous and free in your latter photos, congrats! Wearing pants from high school?! How long ago was that? I was lean & weighed 138 lbs or maybe 140 upon graduation. Now, 30 years later I'm around 155 lbs, but I have a lot more muscle since going Primal & lifting weights again.
    Thanks I don't what kind of tree it is, but it's actually a kind of moss that grows out here in Washington. It actually turns gray towards Autumn, so I do think of the Ents when I see it on taller trees.

High school was only 5 years ago for me; I graduated in 2008. So It's not like I had a box of pants with some moth balls in it for a few decades, haha.
    Stumbled into Primal due to food allergies, and subsequent elimination of non-primal foods.

Start Gluten-Free/Soy-Free: December 2012; start weight 158lbs, Ladies size 6
    Start Primal: March 2013, start weight 150lbs, Ladies size 6
    Current: 132lbs, Ladies size 2
    F/23/5'9"

26lbs lost since cutting the crap.

RaeVynn is offline Senior Member
    Looks kinda like a vine maple, covered in lichen and moss. I've seen similar trees in the Quinault rain forest.

Wow, great changes!

Montagu is offline Junior Member

Smile Update

Here is my update.

Here's the photos I shared on this forum earlier, in Dec 2012

ABOVE left: I started changing my diet in June, shortly after the photo.
    Above right: 6 months after gradually easing into primal eating.

OK here's two more photos showing a bigger contrast:

ABOVE left: One year _before_ changing my eating, June 2011
    Above right: Photo taken most recently, in June 2013.

I'm now 43 years old. 5 feet 2 inches, approx. 123-125 lbs.

You can see the outside changed. On the inside there were huger changes.

For 23 years I have had major joint inflammation, damage, and pain from Ankylosing Spondylitis (a form of arthritis) and associated Iritis (inflammation in the iris of the eye). I was on corticosteroids for every inflammation episode till I figured out that a daily dose of 500mg Vitamin B5 (Pantothenic acid) + a B-50 complex protects me from most major flare-ups.

Also, for the past ~15 yrs I have had Hashimoto's Thyroiditis (autoimmune hypothyroid) and have been treated with Synthroid for the past 10 years after most of the the damage was done to the thyroid. Thyroid dose issues caused major psyhological & emotional anxiety, ups and downs. Stressful job as a university professor.

In June 2012 I started by dropping wheat after reading the Wheat Belly book. The major weight loss in the first month shocked & inspired me to do research. I found the MDA site and other resources very helpful to learn what I could do to get healthier and thinner. Made gradual diet improvements over the first 6 months. I've been about 95% primal in my eating since about December 2012.

NOW... I have no more joint pain and I am much more calm, steady and clear-minded. My latest checkup at the naturopathic Dr. showed no inflammation (undetectable C-reactive protein), below-normal triglycerides, and everything else is just fabulous... except my Thyroid dose. It's now way too high yet I don't feel hyperthyroid. I am in the process of reducing my Synthroid from 125mcg... down to 100 mcg... so far it's going ok.

That's from food changes alone.

I have not done much more exercise in the process of getting healthier, but I have more energy. I try to use only a hand basket when food shopping and 2nd hand clothes shopping, so I shop more frequently but get some weightlifting in at the same time. Also enjoying more cooking and walking.

I might just be able to fit into my Petite 6 wedding dress from back in 1988 when I was 18 ... It's in my closet still. Maybe I'll give it a try and post the photo.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Urban Forager is online now Senior Member
    Montagu and Kathleen you both look great!
    Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Those are two awesome sets of pics! I was wondering the same about that crazy tree thing in the background.

Montagu, have you looked into stopthethyroidmadness.com, and/or changing to Armour or Naturethroid? Many of us find that we do better switching away from Synthroid. I love all the health changes you are experiencing!

kathleen, I am 3 years into my primal journey, 100% gluten-free for the last 1.5 years, and still fighting bloating, even when I consume no grains, dairy, legumes, etc. I'm glad you found an answer that worked for you! I was into my high school clothes last year (graduated in 1993!), but back out this year when a medicine snafu gave me back 20 unwanted pounds, and I"m still fighting that back off. I love to see success stories!
    5'4" 36yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Starting: 185 lbs (March '10)
    Current: 132.5 lbs
    Goal: 135 lbs (Hit Jan '13)
    Beating bingeing since 10/31/11 on my Leptin Reset journey