Page 471 of 547 FirstFirst ... 371421461469470471472473481521 ... LastLast
Results 4,701 to 4,710 of 5470

Thread: Before and after pics page 471

Buffdv is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    I agree, pay it forward. This thread is total inspiration. Thanks to all who are willing to share their journey to help others along the path.

This week is my 1 year Primal Anniversary. I am 45 and this was the best year of my life in more than a decade. On Sept 18, 2011 my wife read Why We Get Fat (and what to do about it) by Gary Taubes. We began Sept 19th with a strong commitment to give this new thing a try. We had spent the last many months eating all organic, eating lean protein like chicken, turkey and fish, eating whole grains, fresh pasta, oatmeal, low fat and on and on. This had gotten me to the heaviest weight ever in my life, 274 lbs. I'm a little embarrassed to admit that, but hey I was taking the recommended blood pressure pills and eating pretty much exactly what the Drs, medical community, FDA, American Heart Association and "everyone" says to eat. My joints hurt more every year, my health declined more every year, my energy declined every year and I kept getting fatter. I tried to talk to my cardiologist about side effects that I felt I was having from the blood pressure pills and he looked me in the eye and said nobody really gets those side effects. I left and haven't been back. I also stopped taking the pills. Within a month my joint pain reduced and I started to feel better.

We kicked off week one with a vengeance, totally committed to it. I started researching online and quickly found The Primal Blueprint and Mark's Daily Apple which really details out the lifestyle and how to live it. And the success stories here are pure inspiration. Within a few weeks we felt a ton better, lighter, leaner, healthier and more energetic. No more falling asleep on the couch after dinner every night. No more being "starving" a few hours after eating. Within a couple of months we were really losing weight and feeling great. We were eating bacon every day and loving it. We quickly realized that on the days we ate lots of fat we felt even better. But, we were still nervous about eating half our calories or more from fat, you get preached to that fat will kill you for your whole life and it makes you wonder. But, we couldn't deny the results we were feeling. We stopped the lean meat and started eating the fattiest meats we could find, bacon, eggs, pork butt, sausage and brisket are at the top of our list these days. People looked at us strangely, secretly (or not) thinking we were going to die of a heart attack from eating bacon, but soon I had lost 20 lbs, 30 lbs, 40 lbs and I was feeling great and looking great (well, better anyway). They couldn't deny the results, the health and the blood test results. My blood pressure dropped 20+ points on each number, my triglycerides dropped 50 points from 136 to 86, my blood sugar dropped. Kerri's most recent total cholesterol was 119, and I've seen her eat bacon, eggs, brisket and pulled pork butt pretty much every day for a year.

The kids are thriving at sports and school and feeling better than ever. A month or so ago my 11 yo daughter said that she needed a new swimsuit. I said we just got you new swimsuits at the beginning of summer. She said I know but they're too big, every time I jump in the water it flies off. We had to get vaccines for the kids last week and their Dr said they both looked amazing, he hadn't seen them in a couple of years.

I have not eaten a single piece of bread or pasta in the past year. I have eaten more lbs of beef this year than I have eaten in my entire life. I can't believe how much I didn't like beef my whole life and now I am pure carnivore. Give me MEAT! We mostly eat meat, cheese, yogurt, fruits and a few veggies. Snacks are fruit, pistachios, olives and always cheese and bacon. I cook 10-15 even 20 lbs of beef, pork and bacon every weekend and we eat it all week, we eat 3-4 dozen eggs every week, 10+ lbs of bacon every week, we cook and reheat everything we eat in bacon fat. My favorite dinner is a big pile of brisket and pork butt fried in bacon fat with 3 or 4 eggs fried over medium in bacon fat on top of it with cheese, avocado and tomatoes on the side. And some bacon for dessert.

I went from 274 lbs on September 19, 2011 to 228 lbs on April 2, 2012, -46 lbs in about 6 months. I hit a plateau and then peaked at 223 lbs the week of May 28th, -51 lbs. Then summer hit and we were boating, swimming, vacationing, beaching, eating and drinking like rock stars. We still ate primal but we upped the cheats, drank lots of pina coladas, margaritas and daiquiris, ate lots of nice dinners out with dessert. Generally, we had a great summer and really ate and drank what we wanted, minus grains.

Unfortunately, I gained some weight over the summer. I ballooned all the way up to ... 226-1/2 lbs as of this morning. Isn't that AMAZING? I lost 50 lbs in six months and kept it off for another 6 months while eating and drinking almost anything I pleased. You can't tell me that Primal doesn't work. Don't even get me started on my joint pain being gone, energy level steady all day every day, no more ups and downs, no more crashes after eating, running and playing and feeling amazing every single day. I haven't been "starving" in almost a year and I fast 24 hours from dinner to dinner a couple of times per week. It actually makes me feel better not worse when I don't eat. No more cranky, tired hunger. We've been around sick people and most times we don't get sick, occasionally we'll pick up a bug but it is gone in a couple of days and we never feel as bad as the people we catch the bugs from. Our bodies work better now. That's really all we can say about it.

Oh, and for you chronic cardio exercise geeks. I don't. I walk a mile or two 4 or 5 days a week. I do push ups, pull ups, squats and stretches a couple of times a week, or less. I used to act like I might do a plank occasionally but it was a lie. I hate planks and I don't do them. When I started I could do 0 pull ups and less than 10 push ups. By summer I was up to 2-1/2 ish pull ups and 40+ push ups, aiming for 50 in one shot. Over the summer my exercising dropped by half or less, other than floating in pools, lakes and oceans and lifting lots of food and drink to my face. So I'm back to 1 pull up and 25-30 push ups in one shot. Maybe I'll work on that a little.

Thanks to mom for the book. Thanks to my wife for reading it with a vengeance and pushing (dragging) us out there into the great unknown. Thanks to Mark Sisson for putting it all together and helping it all make sense. Thanks to Charles for taking a leap and walking the primal path with me at work every day for a year.

And I'm not sorry that this is long.

Grok on!!! If you don't know what that means then you need to spend more time here: Mark's Daily Apple

Pics to follow

fat May 2010.jpg
    Nice and fat in May 2010 - 270s

fat Jul 2011.jpg
    Still fat July 2011 - 270s still

2012-02-17 skinnier 03.jpg
    Making progress, Feb 2011 - 236

2012-mar-23 swimshirt 10.jpg
    2012-mar-23 swimshirt 17.jpg
    March 2011 - 230

And here is today, Sept 21, 2012, one year into it. I can't wait for Primal year two!!!
    2012-09-21 bicep04.jpg
    2012-09-21 front03.jpg
    2012-09-21 side03.jpg
    226-1/2 - woohoooo!!! Haven't been here in 15 or 20 years. Feeling GREAT!!!

Sorry you won't be able to see the pics for a few days, can't do the photobucket thing at work.

Jeffybear is offline Member
    Buffdv,
    Love the story, can't wait to see the pics.
    Primal since 27 August 2012
    Age 47
    Height 5'10"
    SW 236
    PW 223
    GW 185

My Journal

gregpoole is offline Member
    My name is Greg and it's time to post my story and some pictures!

I’ve been struggling with my weight for the last 20 years or so…..following the words and advice of conventional wisdom. This has worked to a point as I did get to a weight that I looked good but still had health issues, this was in 2005. I was run ragged from working out 6 days a week for an hour to an hour and a half each workout all the while following the CW food guidelines ,cutting fats, eating whole grains, veggies and white meat( chicken and more chicken with small amounts of red meat). I also logged everything that passed my lips for 2 years, I kid you not I did feel better and almost looked good naked but not really where I should have been.

I was also diagnosed with high blood pressure 6 years prior to 2005 and was put on 5 different meds to control it which brought it down to within in an acceptable range but I was left feeling tired most of the time.

About 2007 I was burnt out from all the exercise, calorie counting, so I stopped counting and did less exercise, guess what happened the weight piled back on and more.

Well that brings me up to 2011 when I was approaching the big50, yep I was going to be 50 in November of that year. So the day of my birthday I decided I had enough so I started counting calories again, which I did for about 1 month but it drove me nuts, just too much stuff to enter with allthe other things that a person has to do in their everyday lives. I lost a little weight but I was hungry most of the time( only time I wasn’t hungry was when I was asleep).

So here a was at the end of December with a doctor’s appointment on the 29th to discuss bloodwork results…..not good, the doc said I was to monitor my blood sugar levels for a month as he said I was on the verge of being type 2 diabetic, did not like the sound of that. Ask him how I should go about reversing the situation…..he said I should just take the meds and be done with it. I asked him about changing to way I eat and he said that diets don’t work because people will not stick with them for life….my heart sank! I did not want to take anymoremeds, I didn’t want to take the ones I was on now. I told him that I was going to change the way I do things regarding the way I was eating and exercising, he said good luck we will see. On the way out I made another appointment for a months time.

Driving on the way home, thinking to myself how the hell am Igoing to do this. So that same night searching the internet, looking up info on diabetics and high blood pressure, cameacross the dash diet and a couple others but they sounded like what I was trying already. Did a new search for natural ways to cure health problems and came across your site…..I was intrigued by what I was reading it made since. That next morning I jumped in with both feet. Within the first 2 weeks I noticed some grat improvements……lost 12lbs, was sleeping the best in years and my aches and pains where gone. Following the PB rules have been really easy, even though I was the biggest bread lover on the face of the earth.

So for a month I monitored my blood sugar levels, could not wait to visit the doc again as they where back in the normal range and is was down 30lbs in a month and feeling great. The doc was a little shocked when I walked into his office, a then surprised at my blood sugar levels at how quick thy went downplus my blood pressure was also down but not normal. So I keep searching for more info on this way of lifestyle, boy was I shocked at what I learned from what I had known( listening to all that CW information crap for years).

Now I still work out but only 2 to 3 times a week and each time 20 to 30 minutes. I still walk or move slow, no more counting calories. I also quit smoking in June of this year(coldturkey)was easier than I thought ( amazing when your in the right frame of mind).

Looks like I have found my way to a healthy lifestyle, it’s just so easy plain and simple.

So here is a before picture of me at 270lbs

old picture 270 lbs picture by gregpoole - Photobucket

Here is a picture at current weight of 208lbs

photo_zps2b4cbf78.jpg picture by gregpoole - Photobucket

A big thank you to MDA and to all the people that post in the forums, you’ll rock!!

Grok ON!

Greg

P.s. there are still areas in my life that I’m working on…..sleep(need more), work(try to slack off) & play( need more of this).

Thanks Greg
    You are what you eat, so only eat the best!

Maleficarum is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lyns84 View Post
    Thanks everyone for your awesome comments xx

Here is the pics together, I still can't see much difference, maybe I should hide the mirrors for the next 6 weeks lol

photo-2.jpg picture by lyns84 - Photobucket
    I would just call it like it is... and say you are hot. =)

Kasee123 is offline Junior Member
    Great work, keep it up!

hulahoop is offline Senior Member
    well done Greg, you're doing really well

Trifith is offline Senior Member
    Haven't been by in a long while, but here's progress. One year!

Warning: I'm an anarcho-capitalist political activist. It gets into everything.

Journal

Patrick is offline Senior Member
    Holy shit, Trifith... that's some serious progress!
    "Oh, you wanted answers...yeah, sorry, I'm not so good with those. Uh, probably something to do with science or something..." -- canio6

August 2010: 207 lb, 37" waist, 25+% BF | Currently: 177 lb, 33" waist, ~15% BF

Sometimes blogging as The Primal Mind. (My unorthodox and filthy-mouthed journal is semi-retired at this point)