Page 293 of 553 FirstFirst ... 193243283291292293294295303343393 ... LastLast
Results 2,921 to 2,930 of 5526

Thread: Before and after pics page 293

mammlouk is offline Member
    Shop Now
    I think that the nutition provided by a paleo/primal diet is key to the eventual recovery of skin. Most CW dieters never fully recover because their body just does not have the required resources for healing the damage that was done. There is always the possibility that some skin will remain, but the results I have seen in some of the success stories seem to indicate a much better recovery than I've seen in crash dieters.
    Beginning of Primal Journey:
    Date: 4/6/2011
    Weight: 247

Progress:

“If people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny.” ~ Thomas Jefferson

Kenzington is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mammlouk View Post
    I think that the nutition provided by a paleo/primal diet is key to the eventual recovery of skin. Most CW dieters never fully recover because their body just does not have the required resources for healing the damage that was done. There is always the possibility that some skin will remain, but the results I have seen in some of the success stories seem to indicate a much better recovery than I've seen in crash dieters.
    If anyone has any studies cited I'd really love to see them. I've heard multiple people claim that but so far it seems like a nice theory, but as of yet unproven. I'll keep going one way or another, but I don't want to set myself up for false hope either!

Timothy is offline Senior Member
    On the subject of loose skin, it is possible to get rid of it in my experience, but it takes a long period of sustained primal living. It also helps to build up muscle where the fat used to be. I had a deflated apron of skin around my navel when I first lost my weight (although it was only 50 pounds, not 100+) and that has pretty much gone away after 18 months. Here are the pics: Before and After

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    I've seen people do it with high doses (>6 g/day) of MSM. Please research this for yourself, and there are videos on YouTube addressing this. But of the people I know of, they were taking the MSM while the weight loss was in progress, not after the fact, and they also lost the weight slowly, over several years. It is definitely working for me, but I've only been doing it (ingesting MSM in powder form and topical application of soap and lotion) for approx. 2 months now. My arms are the worst of the lot, and the skin is definitely changing for the better. The reason why raw food, which I am really eating a lot of now, works so well for tightening skin is because the sulfur (see MSM, above) has not been burned off during the cooking process. Also, begin LHT, like, yesterday. See Philip McCluskey's videos on YouTube. He's lost 215 pounds and only has the tiniest amount of loose skin (under his arms), which he has to pinch to even see. I am combining what he has done with Paleo.

P.S.
    Two books I recommend that deal with this are:
    The Miracle of MSM
    Eating for Beauty

And fish oil helps, too.
    Last edited by TigerLily; 09-14-2011 at 05:00 PM.
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    @Kenzington: When I was doing all my research into this, I did not come across anybody who has tightened up batwings after the fact. I'm not saying it's not possible; just that I didn't see any of that. I would say to give the MSM your very best go for 3 months. You will know by that point whether it's going to work or not.

@others in progress: Another thing I kept coming across was compression garments. I haven't done nearly as in-depth research into this to be fully convinced myself, but so many people swear by them and this kept on coming up. Research further into it and decide yay or nay for yourself, if you wish. (Note that they are a bit harder to find, but there are compression garments just for the arms.) I didn't see anything about compression working to tighten skin after the weight loss had already happened, though.
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

tapper47 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenzington View Post
    I believe that. I still have weight to lose (about 15-20 pounds, it's hard to say) - but I also have lots of buddies who have had the surgery too who have really whittled down to nothing and still have loose skin. Seems to be that the only thing that takes care of it is plastic surgery. It blows.

I've personally lost 140 pounds so far - and I know all of that excess doesn't just magically go away. But regardless, better to be smaller and kind of wrinkly rather than obese and filled out!
    Good for you. 140 pounds is amazing. There is a story on T-tapp.com about a women who had the most bizarre stomach after pregnancy and tightened it up wonderfully.

Inspirational: The Unconquerable Dave | Mark's Daily Apple

This is primal loss (100 pounds) and no surgery but really tight skin.

Kenzington is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for your responses guys! I will for sure look into the MSM. I can't believe I never heard of it! I'll keep plugging away and keep ya'll posted....

RyanMWilliams is offline Junior Member
    Great stuff Timothy, and nice site! I think the Shovelglove ideas are cool, I'm going to have to try that out.

Patrick is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanMWilliams View Post
    Great stuff Timothy, and nice site! I think the Shovelglove ideas are cool, I'm going to have to try that out.
    Shovelglove is awesome. Definitely give it a whirl. (pun intended)
    August 2010: 207 lb, 37" waist, 25+% BF | Currently: 177 lb, 33" waist, ~15% BF

I have a new site up and will soon be blogging at The Wayward Mind. (My journal is semi-retired at this point)

Paleobird Guest
    the cue ball..jpg
    October 07-March 08 Chemo sucks. No two ways about that.

08..jpg

I think I only kept this pic because my dog is so cute. Note how strap disappears into fat.

QE2 at dinner..jpg

March 09 Wearing a size 16 and weighing in at 210, I drew a line in the sand. I'm 5'10" but that's still too much.

Went grain and any other starch free on January 1, 2010. Lost the first 30 lbs from 210 to 180 like magic but then it stopped. Found Primal and had high hopes for restarting the weight loss only to stall at 180 for another 5 months and even gained a few back. Decided to get serious about cutting back on the quantity not just eating good quality food March 2011. (See "Reality Check" thread if you want the details. Plus the Calorie Counting Distillation and Update for the Cliff's Notes.)

Five months later and 30 lbs lighter. Since starting the calorie controlled PB, I have lost four inches from my waist, now 28", five inches off my rear, now 39" and I am back into the size 8 jeans I used to wear in high school. I have now quit counting calories and have been maintaining right here very easily for several weeks. Don't worry. Calorie counting doesn't have to be permanent.

10kbc front..jpg10kbc side..jpg

The PB as written by Mark does work. But he never intended it to be an all you can eat buffet of bacon, brisket, and coconut oil. In fact he spent a whole chapter talking about calorie targeting and macros. It can be as "effortless" as the book cover promises for some people and then others like me just have to try a little harder. Do not give up. It can be done.