Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What are your views on all natural peanut butter? page 2

Darz is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    If it's an all natural PB and you are fine with it then eat it as much as you feel like it - I too might start buying it cause almond butter is just too expensive for me atm.
    Last edited by Darz; 07-18-2012 at 10:40 AM.

sakura_girl is online now Senior Member
    What is everyone's views on eating peanut butter and taking an activated charcoal pill? I heard the activated charcoal may help your body to rid of the toxins, and the main issue with peanuts/peanut butter is the aflatoxin content.

I think I've read somewhere that certain types of vegetables reduce the effect of aflatoxins - though can't remember which ones.

Jorjor is offline Member
    still not great, they still have a bad fatty acid profile. Stick with almond, make your own if that saves you money, they're a numerous recipes and it's pretty simple. Getting almonds from the bulk bins will save you money

labmonkey is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Darz View Post
    I think I've read somewhere that certain types of vegetables reduce the effect of aflatoxins - though can't remember which ones.
    So the broccolli and carrots my little one dips in it should even things out? great. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Jorjor View Post
    still not great, they still have a bad fatty acid profile. Stick with almond, make your own if that saves you money, they're a numerous recipes and it's pretty simple. Getting almonds from the bulk bins will save you money
    Nutrition Facts and Analysis for Peanuts, all types, dry-roasted, without salt
    Nutrition Facts and Analysis for Nuts, almonds, dry roasted, without salt added [Includes USDA commodity food A255, A263]

I fail to see that much of a difference in fatty acid profile of 100g from each.

Quote Originally Posted by labmonkey View Post
    So the broccolli and carrots my little one dips in it should even things out? great. lol
    I've looked it up and it seems apiaceous vegetables like carrots, celery, parsley might have some beneficial effects -

ScienceDirect.com - Food and Chemical Toxicology - Apiaceous vegetable constituents inhibit human cytochrome P-450 1A2 (hCYP1A2) activity and hCYP1A2-mediated mutagenicity of aflatoxin B1

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Trader Joe's Organic Peanut Butter is the only peanut butter I'll buy. And I eat it rarely and sparingly.

Peanut butter is on par with nuts in terms of lectin content. It actually has far less phytate than almonds with almost an identical lipid profile. An interesting comparison I made showing peanuts versus almonds:

So they're clearly somewhat nutritious as well.

The biggest issues I see with peanuts is alfatoxin and peanut agglutinin. I'm less concerned about alfatoxin - all nuts, particularly almonds, are susceptible to alfatoxin and since I'm buying a good quality organic peanut butter from a reputable source, I'm minimizing my chances. Peanut agglutinin is a trickier subject as it seems to be particularly atherosclerotic, meaning it is inflammatory to your arteries. The evidence is mixed, and mind you, there aren't enough studies done on actual nuts - for all we know almonds do something similar and they're a Primal darling. Mark writes about it here:

Is Peanut Butter Healthy? | Mark's Daily Apple

My take on the subject: they aren't Primal, they aren't the healthiest thing to eat, but they're not like wheat, soy or vegetable oils. There are positives to them, and if your idea of an off meal is a tablespoon of peanut butter, you're not doing bad IMO. If that's your biggest non-Primal indulgence, you're doing a damn good job. Keep it limited and infrequent and buy GOOD QUALITY stuff and you may ok if you don't have a peanut allergy.

"All natural" is meaningless. Most "all natural" peanut butter is loaded with added oils and sugar. Buy peanut butter with one ingredient: "Peanuts." And try and find organic to minimize alfatoxin.
    Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 07-18-2012 at 01:37 PM.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    peanut butter with one ingredient: "Peanuts."
    I think the OP meant exactly that when he said all natural...

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Choco, what are your views on macadamia nuts and cashews?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast