Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dreams leaving me exhausted page

Dreams leaving me exhausted

Primal Fuel
    So I get a decent amount of sleep each night - I turn the lights off around 9:30 or 10, and wake up at 4:45 MWF, and 5:15 Tues/Thurs. So close to 7 hours. I fall asleep easily and stay asleep. However, I have crazy dreams ALL FREAKING NIGHT. Not bad dreams, just weird. I don't remember their details in the morning - I just remember dreaming. And I wake up EXHAUSTED. I feel like I'm not getting any sleep at all, like I'm just being run ragged with these stupid dreams. I've tried taking melatonin, and it's kind of hit or miss. It's been happening for a few weeks now. Any ideas on how to quit dreaming at night? I know that's kind of a ridiculous question, but I'm just TIRED and it's starting to impact my work.
    Liz in Cleveland

Started Primal 7/17/12
    5'9"
    SW: 227.2
    CW: 213.6
    GW: 175

MissusN is offline Junior Member
    Hey Liz, sorry to hear you're waking up exhausted, that must be pretty annoying. I noticed you just started Primal so maybe the change of diet alone will help you somewhat. But besides that: I've been told that dreams are a way of dealing with your daily life, like putting thoughts in the big 'archive' that is your brain. And that unconscious worries and fears pop up in them. So maybe you're in a very busy stage of your life right now and you need to work things out to get some peace of mind and some restful sleep? Maybe it can be useful to remember what you dreamt when you wake up and think about what meaning your dreams could have for you. If nothing works maybe you should ask your GP for some testing (though I'm not sure they do that in the USA, do they?). Maybe you don't get to the 'deep sleep' part of your sleeping cycle for some odd reason. Did you ever experience sleepwalking episodes or been waking up at weird places?

solstice is offline Senior Member
    In the beautiful mountains of Pennsylvania!
    are there any particular supplements that you take before bed? B vitamins can produce vivid dreams. I also feel less rested and have more dreams before my period starts.

brighthorse is offline Senior Member
    Maybe they are survival dreams caused by stress.....I don't know.....I know that I tend to get nightsweats from menopause which wakes me up....I just make sure I work out like a devil during the day to counteract it. I still get the sweats, I just don't wake up....Maybe you need to figure out what is causing the stress and how to deal with it in waking hours?

Good morning! Thanks for your responses!

I actually lead a remarkably stress-free life. I enjoy my job 95% of the time, I enjoy the few extra-curricular activities I do, I enjoy my exercise. Very rarely am I getting annoyed at something I HAVE to do. I'm very fortunate, and very odd, I know! So I'm not sure what unconscious worries or fears I'd have, but I'll definitely do some thinking on it.

I haven't had a physical in forever so I'm in the process of finding a doctor. Figured when I go in for my physical I'd also mention my sleep issues and see if s/he recommended a sleep study or just a supplement for now.

Nope, have never sleep-walked (slept-walked? LOL) fortunately!

Only thing I take before bed is my birth control pill (that I've been on for, gosh, 15 years? so nothing new with it) and sometimes a melatonin. I'm very good about my going-to-bed ritual. Take the dog out for her last pee of the evening, we both take our meds, and then I go to bed and read for about a half hour before turning the light off. Right now I'm reading all educational stuff about running (new runner!) and primal living, so nothing frightening or odd.

I don't know, just very frustrating! I'd really like to avoid sleeping pills (Ambien, Lunesta) but I'll resort to them if necessary.
    Liz in Cleveland

Started Primal 7/17/12
    5'9"

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Before you go to sleep tonight, tell yourself, "I will not dream of bunnies; I will not dream of bunnies..."

bionicsamm is offline Senior Member
    Are you having any foods with dyes? How about your pills, maybe find out if they have changed the formulation. I find food colors really affect me, it's bizarre.

VacillateWildly is offline Senior Member
    From a different slant, have you tried writing your dreams down on waking? You don't need to attempt a dream analysis of any kind (though you might find it interesting once you get going), but I often find dreams are a way of my subconscious trying to give me a message, and if I ignore the message they just ramp it up and send me the same message in all sorts of exhausting dream versions until I sit up and take notice.

I recommend writing as soon as you wake up, then you might see some dream patterns occuring and your mind might be grateful for the attention and give you a decent night's sleep.

If I can remember any I'll definitely write them down and see if there's a pattern. Thank you for the suggestions!

Bionicsamm, I don't think I'm eating any dyed food. I'll check on the BC formula - I hadn't thought of that. Thank you!
    Liz in Cleveland

Started Primal 7/17/12
    5'9"

Alex Good is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Darth, call your damned incubus off the poor woman.
    In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast