Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ALWAYS Check Labels... ugh page

Bekki is offline Junior Member

ALWAYS Check Labels... ugh

I don't buy a lot of food that has labels anymore, but I do buy a little cheese. Sometimes, I make myself an omelet for breakfast. That's what I use it for.

I normally buy grass fed raw cheddar at the health food store, but I was under a massive time crunch while shopping this weekend. I grabbed a bag of shredded cheese at the local market. It said it was a blend of cheese, which I thought would be a good thing.

Made my omelet this morning and wondered why the hell it tasted so incredibly awful. So I looked at the package of cheese: "A blend of pasteurized prepared cheese product, cheddar and monterey jack cheeses."

Seriously, I didn't even know anyone ever slipped cheese "product" into shredded blends! That caught me completely off guard!

I used to be able to stomach fake cheese, but now, I feel sick to my stomach just from the little bit that I had this morning.

That will teach me to take the quick way out when grocery shopping.

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    i actually buy a lot of those kinds of shredded cheese, because my wife usually has a crazy schedule and likes the convenience of it. for me, i like keeping a block of cheese around which i can just shred on my own. i keep kerrygold grass fed on hand to eat plain, or add to something like an omelet, but even a brick of more conventional cheese has major differences in both taste and texture, as well as ingredients to the shredded.

Yeah, a lot of those shredded cheeses are coated in starch to keep from sticking. I generally avoid them. I have never seen imitations cheese mixed into a blend before, though. Ick! I will just have to find a way to go get more real cheese.

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    Last night I discovered fish oil in my milk. Although I have nothing against fish oil(take it almost daily) it does NOT need to be in milk! I just want milk in my milk.

teach2183 is offline Senior Member
    We only do blocks now as well, gets rid of any extra ingredients. I love how much better cheese shredded at home melts into recipes.

HazelPrimalNut is offline Junior Member
    God, I don't mean to sound smug but I am so glad I live in Ireland and never have to worry about this. Cheese product? What even is that? I wouldn't dare to guess...

jojohaligo is offline Senior Member
    And then there is the cost. Ounce for ounce the shredded stuff costs more. So you get less quality and less cheese for more money.
    Female, age 51, 5' 9"
    SW - 183 (Jan 22, 2012), CW - 159, GW - healthy.

Met my 2012 goals by losing 24 pounds.
    2013 goals are to get fit and strong!

Quote Originally Posted by Sabine View Post
    Last night I discovered fish oil in my milk. Although I have nothing against fish oil(take it almost daily) it does NOT need to be in milk! I just want milk in my milk.
    Eeewww Why on earth would that happen?

Quote Originally Posted by teach2183 View Post
    We only do blocks now as well, gets rid of any extra ingredients. I love how much better cheese shredded at home melts into recipes.
    Yes! The pre-shredded stuff likes to stay solid. Another reason why I rarely buy it. =\

Quote Originally Posted by HazelPrimalNut View Post
    God, I don't mean to sound smug but I am so glad I live in Ireland and never have to worry about this. Cheese product? What even is that? I wouldn't dare to guess...
    I honestly don't even know what's in it... but the very fact that they can't call it CHEESE is enough to turn me off from it. Plus it tastes disgusting and left me feeling nauseous for a couple of hours after eating it. Whatever it is, I don't think it's food.

Quote Originally Posted by jojohaligo View Post
    And then there is the cost. Ounce for ounce the shredded stuff costs more. So you get less quality and less cheese for more money.
    Absolutely!

labmonkey is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bekki View Post
    Eeewww Why on earth would that happen?

Agree. WTF?

Artichoke is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Yeah and then there's the unlabelled bovine growth hormones in American milk too, why it's banned in EU. Love CSI Miami, don't want the food eww. Totally upset last season of CSI Miami started here tonight. Need my Horatio fix !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast