Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 100% Kelp Noodles! Healthy LC pasta page

Betorq is offline Senior Member

100% Kelp Noodles! Healthy LC pasta

Sea Tangle Noodle Company Kelp Noodles
    Kelp Noodles are a sea vegetable in the form of an easy to eat raw noodle. Made of only kelp (a sea vegetable), sodium alginate (sodium salt extracted from a brown seaweed) and water. Kelp Noodles are fat-free, gluten-free and very low in carbohydrates and calories.

Their noodle form and neutral taste allow for a variety of uses including salads, stir-fries, hot broths and casseroles. Their healthful content provides a rich source of trace minerals including iodine, which kelp is well known for. Their unique texture completes the package, making Kelp Noodles a one-of-a-kind healthful and tasty alternative to pasta and rice noodles. Best of all, no cooking is required. Just rinse and add the noodles to any dish and they are ready to eat.
    "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
    "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
    "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown

Paleobird Guest
    Thanks, Brett. I just put in an order. They also have the Sea Snaks which unlike the kelp snacks at my local Asian place, are made with olive oil, not some soy gunk. I also got some coconut manna and milk for me and they had a good price on Larabars for my dad.

I have been looking for those noodles but the only place around that sells them is a co-op store where you have to buy a membership. That place has good produce but not much else because they are strictly vegetarian. No meat department at all. Not a place where I would do a lot of my shopping.

skorpion317 is offline Senior Member
    I've used these a few times. They have no flavor to them, so whatever sauce you're eating them with will be the main attraction.

They have a little crunch to them, but I have a foolproof method for making them chewy like regular pasta:

1. Soak the noodles in a bowl of cold water with a splash of lemon juice. As they soak, separate them by hand (they're in a big tangled clump in the package).

2. Bring a pot of water to a boil. Take the noodles out of the bowl and put them in the pot for about 10 minutes.

3. Drain the noodles, then add them to whatever sauce you're making while it's still cooking. Continue cooking for about 10 minutes. Test some of the noodles - they should be chewy now.
    "Don't waste your time, or time will waste you."

Emseven is offline Member
    I love these! So good for a Primal pad Thai or other stir fry.

tcb
    tcb is offline Senior Member
    I tried these once... felt like I was eating the plastic ring thing from a 6 pack of beer.

Substrate is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tcb View Post
    i tried these once... Felt like i was eating the plastic ring thing from a 6 pack of beer.
    lol

Yeh, that's pretty funny. I hope you trying them wasn't based on my posting ...Well, I endorsed them as a healthy primal, not faleo alternative to grain noodles. I've truthfully only tried the Konjac 0carb noodles so far (they were ok, tasteless alone, but will absorb flavor of whatever they soak or cook in). I assume these kelp noodles are the same, entirely dependent on the taste/expectations of the end user & the manner in which they are prepared...

Lawyerchick12 is offline Senior Member
    but do they get as rubbery as the konjac noodles? My only issue with the Konjac was the rubbery texture.

Depending on how you treat them, chewy or rubbery, haha... Whadya want? A 0carb wonder noodle?
    "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
    "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
    "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown

BratKat is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I use these all the time for spaghetti. I also soak them for a little bit first in lemon water and boil for 10 minutes or so, but really, the acidity of the tomato sauce causes them to soften right up and takes away the crunch-squeaky texture. I use the Sea Tangle brand, fortunately available locally at Natural Grocer/Vitamin Cottage.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast