Thread: Po' Man's Primal page

plynch is offline Junior Member

Question Po' Man's Primal

Shop Now
    Hello Everyone,

I'm looking for suggestions on the cheapest o' the cheap of Primal Foods and Recipes. I'm looking for inexpensive meals that can last a long time. I'm Pretty Lazy, and I don't have the most money. I'm also pretty busy, because I have to drive a fair distance to my job.

What I'd like to do is setup sort of a one day a week cookfest. Prepare all my meals for the week or for a few days, and have a decent assortment of vitamins, minerals, and nutrients that will be balanced, and easy to pickup in the morning an roll with. Primal GRUEL is the phrase that keeps coming to mind.

Basically I'm looking for the RAMEN NOODLE, CANNED SOUP, and COKE primal equivalent.

Any suggestions are appreciated. Links and Referrals are welcome.

KV8R is offline Senior Member
    I've had good luck with chilli's or stew's. Spend one afternoon in the kitchen making a batch properly, and it can feed you all week long. A little meat, a few veggies, some seasonings and a crockpot or pot on the stove top. I find most of my recipes by using google.

Fernaldo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthFriendly View Post
    Primal is not for poor people.

You didn't have to say you were lazy, we know that already because you are poor.

Primal is only for job producing libertarian ubermenchen who lick ron paul's wrinkly taint and give out hearty laughs of capitalist contentment with their rightful place as the lords of this earth by natural selection.

Without millions and millions of dollars hidden in off shore accounts to keep your holy monies safe from the evil taxman Primal doesn't work at all.
    Darth pretty much covered it but I will add that Mark should have mentioned the golden rules of primal in his book:
    1. If you ain't makin' it rain in the club... primal ain't for you.
    2. If you ain't sippin' on yac... primal ain't for you.
    3. If you ain't poppin' bottles in the ice like a blizzard... primal ain't for you.

nuff said..
    "The problem with quoting someone on the Internet is, you never know if it's legit" - Abraham Lincoln

DarthFriendly is offline Banned
    This does beg the question though, is it more immoral to be fat or poor?

DarthFriendly is offline Banned
    Okay, now that we've been dicks...

1.Go down to good will get a crock pot. Best investment ever for a lazy cook. Look up recipes online you're gold.
    2.Yes chili.
    3.Whole chickens. You get the meat, and then the bones for soup later. Very economical.
    4.Cabbage is cheap as fuck. Cook it up with bacon and some onion. You're welcome.
    5.Make bone stock with your crock pot. Cheapest source of nutrition ever, then add veggies whatever and you've got more soup. Bones are cheap.
    6.Fish in tins, herring, mackerel, sardines. Oily fish are full of omega3's. You want those. And they're cheap.

Good luck.

ElaineC is offline Senior Member
    Ground beef, frozen veggies, some kind of sauce that is mostly primal. Onions and carrots are always tasty and inexpensive, as are potatoes. Fast breakfast, make egg muffins by tossing some ground beef, bacon, chicken etc in a muffin tin, then pouring beaten eggs over it and baking till done. Cooked sausages are fast for on the go, I do them up a week at a time. Eggs are cheap, and hard boiled are very portable. Cheese is great if you're ok with dairy.

The slow cooker is king. Hunk of meat, veggies, turn on when you leave for work and come home to food.

Look for sales and freeze. Buy what's in season for variety.
    Fighting fibromyalgia and chronic myofascial pain since 2002.

Big Fat Fiasco

Our bodies crave real food. We remain hungry as long as we refuse to eat real food, no matter how much junk we stuff into our stomachs. ~J. Stanton

plynch is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthFriendly View Post
    Primal is not for poor people.

You didn't have to say you were lazy, we know that already because you are poor.

Primal is only for job producing libertarian ubermenchen who lick ron paul's wrinkly taint and give out hearty laughs of capitalist contentment with their rightful place as the lords of this earth by natural selection.

Without millions and millions of dollars hidden in off shore accounts to keep your holy monies safe from the evil taxman Primal doesn't work at all.
    This made me LOL.
    I'm poor because I send shit tons of my money to the Student Debt Monster as sacrifice for my continued non-imprisonment. Not because I'm lazy. But nice try.

So the general consensus I'm getting is POT FULL O' VEGGIES+MEAT. Which is basically what I though was going to be in the first few posts. I'm down with that.
    I like the EGG MUFFINS idea that elaine mentioned.

The canned fish is a good idea. Is there anything much worse about canned fish rather than fresh. Will my chance of colon cancer go up by 5% or something.

NicoleP is offline Senior Member
    I eat a lot of chicken thighs and legs. My husband is gone a lot and I just can't get through a whole chicken before it gets gross (I don't really like re-heated meat). Chicken legs and thighs are very cheap and I can even get a decent deal on organic ones at Whole Foods.

This is one of my favorite recipes from Make it Paleo
    4 bone in chicken thighs

1 tsp each of
    smoked paprika
    garlic powder
    ground cumin

1/4 teaspoon cayenne

1tbsp coconut oil (the book calls for palm oil but I don't have any so I use this instead)

Heat oven to 425
    Mix dry ingredients in bowl and then poor into ziplock
    Add chicken thighs and coconut oil, seal bag and toss until coated
    Add salt and pepper
    Bake for about 40 minutes (you kind of have to watch them)

I have this several times a week and the leftovers don't taste like most re-heated meat to me. The skin is very crispy.

Also, you might want to consider big giant turkey legs for the grill. They also taste good the next day and are very portable. You don't even need silverware because you have a bone to hold onto. LOL

ElaineC is offline Senior Member
    Canned fish is awesome. And cheap. I'm not overly fond of sardines myself, but love herring and mackerel. Tuna with mayo, chopped green onions and shredded cheese is good, especially when fried in a frying pan. Salmon works too. I also have a love for canned corned beef with mustard.
    Fighting fibromyalgia and chronic myofascial pain since 2002.

Big Fat Fiasco

Our bodies crave real food. We remain hungry as long as we refuse to eat real food, no matter how much junk we stuff into our stomachs. ~J. Stanton

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by plynch View Post
    Basically I'm looking for the RAMEN NOODLE, CANNED SOUP, and COKE primal equivalent.
    Sweet potatoes, ground beef, bone broth, bulletproof coffee. Water.
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes