Thread: TARO- Hows it rank? page

zizou is online now Senior Member

TARO- Hows it rank?

Primal Fuel
    So last night i had TARO for the first time. I have been very skeptical of trying it because it is so foreign to me, that i don't feel it is safe for me being European descendant.

But i have noticed i am better off without nighshades, therefore i don't have potatoes in my diet, and suffering from Fructose malbs problems, sweet potatoes aren't much more viable as i could only have about half a cup per serving which is pointless.

As i have chicken roast once a week i am looking for some root veggies to give me some carbs. I use zuchinni, pumpkin, swedes and tried parsnips recently. Nothing too major to report, i 'think' it all went down well without impacting my digestive system much and was dame tasty with ghee and goose fat.

Lastnight was chicken roast night, had chicken, 4-5 small swedes, 2 big taro's, ~80-100gm pumpkin piece and 2 small zuchinnis.

Ate half the chicken and all veggies/roots with a fair bit of ghee, goose fat and chicken skin drizzled in olive oil.

Was dame nice. Afterwards i don't recall having too much digestive issues, it was a fairly pleasent full feeling, maybe ever so slightly gassy and bit distended in lower abdomen, but the meal was like 1000cal so it's not bad.

This morning though i noticed 4 small pimples across my chin with bit of inflammation in my existing acne. I suspect i have a degree of SIBO and gut permeability, and am wondering of TARO has any known toxins which could've caused some of these reactions. Does it have anything equivalent to potatoes and nightshades, that my permeable gut has leaked as ar esult of TARO and thus sparked a bit of a reaction?

Basically i'm wondering if Taro is considered safe to consume by the majority in that it doesn't contain significant or known toxins/drawbacks?

Fiji Chris is offline Junior Member
    Greetings from Fiji Islands, we eat lots of taro here in islands but you have to be real careful when peeling and cook to fully cooked. If not can get real itchy throat and skin after eating. Touching juice from peel can cause bad skin irritations.

brachiate is offline Senior Member
    It's one of the Jaminet's "safe starches" on a paleo diet.
    http://perfecthealthdiet.com/wp/wp-c...ate-600dpi.jpg
    The trouble with the rat race is that even if you win, you're still a rat.
    (Lily Tomlin)

I take life easier than almost anyone I know, but when I exercise I do it as though my life depends on it (which it does).
    (Arthur De Vany)

Quote Originally Posted by Fiji Chris View Post
    Greetings from Fiji Islands, we eat lots of taro here in islands but you have to be real careful when peeling and cook to fully cooked. If not can get real itchy throat and skin after eating. Touching juice from peel can cause bad skin irritations.
    Hi Chris,

thank you for your advice, it's good to hear from a Fijian seeing as how it's a staple food there!

I really really enjoyed the taro corms (small ones), i followed a receipe which calls for steaming it for 10mins and then peeling and then i put it in the oven for about 1hr? It tasted so nice, like warm fluffy baked bread on the inside. I don't think i recall having itchy throat or skin, so i assume i had it cooked well. How do you recommend it be cooked? Also do you peel it till it's pure white and no brown spots in the flesh or is that to be expected?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by brachiate View Post
    It's one of the Jaminet's "safe starches" on a paleo diet.
    http://perfecthealthdiet.com/wp/wp-c...ate-600dpi.jpg
    I noticed that, but they do also list potatoes, which do contain toxins that affect some (nightshade) and i was wondering if taro had any potential to cause some harm in people with compromised digestive systems. So far i have only found that apparantley they contain oxalates.

Doesn't seem like the paleo community is big on taros.