Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Allergic to Avocado? page

Jamilyn121 is offline Senior Member

Allergic to Avocado?

Primal Fuel
    Hi there,

Has anyone had this reaction to avocados? I ate some of one, about 15 minutes later I got mild stomach pain. The pain increased gradually and became sort of stabbing for a couple of hours. At one point I thought I might faint. Now, being the stubborn girl that I am, I have experimented with this a couple of times thinking that it couldn't possibly be the avocado. I have never had issue in the past. Last night, after having only about 2 thin slices on the side of my salad, I got pretty sick. I was in a lot of pain and discomfort for hours. I decided that maybe I have an allergy.

Tonight, by mere coincidence, I went to my sister-in-laws house and she put on a beautiful dinner. I ate it and immediately started feeling pretty ill. The symptoms were the same as the previous night but more intense. I asked her if the dinner had had avocado and she said yes, in the sauce as a creamy component. I was violently ill. Throwing up several times. I now have severe stomach cramps and feel as though I am woozy.

My question is has anyone else had this reaction? Is it really an allergy developed at the ripe old age of 30? It's so weird! I'm not willing to experiment on myself anymore after tonight's little episode..

Blackcatbone is offline Senior Member
    More likely you're reacting to the sorbitol found in stone fruit. Not an allergy but an intolerance. You should be careful with peaches, plums, cherries any fruit with a 'stone' seed. Nausea, stomach pain and cramps are symptoms. It's often a component of fructose malabsorption or can occur on its own. And it can occur when you're older, especially if you've had other gut issues, have taken antibiotics or changed your diet, as that will often cause your gut flora to change. The symptoms are caused by the sugars which can't be absorbed feeding bacteria that probably wasn't as prevalent before.

LastingOne is offline Junior Member
    I have an allergy to avocado, kiwi and bananas. If I eat them it feels like my gut is being ripped to shreds.

I actually asked this on PaleoHacks and the responder lead me to this article:
    General information for Avocado

skorpion317 is offline Senior Member
    My wife is allergic to avocado, but she gets an itching sensation in her throat and feels like it's swelling. She doesn't get stomach pain.
    SW (1/4/12): 326 lbs. (48% BF)
    Steak and Eggs SW (5/11/13): 198 lbs.
    CW (6/2/13): 185.4 lbs. (??% BF)
    GW: 185 lbs. (~15% BF)
    0.4 lbs. to go, ??% BF to go

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Do you react to latex? Sometimes the two allergies are related. The sorbitol thing makes sense too--have you had issues with foods made with sugar alcohols before? Either way, not being able to eat avocado sucks.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Jamilyn121 is offline Senior Member
    Thanks so much for the input everyone! I do not have any allergies of any kind that I know of, and no sensitivity to latex. I am going to check out that article, Lasting. Thanks.

I think you have some good points Blackcat. I have pretty radically changed my diet lately and this aversion has only come up fairly recent. Whether it is an allergy or intolerance, I am staying far far away. Such a shame

not on the rug is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackcatbone View Post
    More likely you're reacting to the sorbitol found in stone fruit. Not an allergy but an intolerance. You should be careful with peaches, plums, cherries any fruit with a 'stone' seed. Nausea, stomach pain and cramps are symptoms. It's often a component of fructose malabsorption or can occur on its own. And it can occur when you're older, especially if you've had other gut issues, have taken antibiotics or changed your diet, as that will often cause your gut flora to change. The symptoms are caused by the sugars which can't be absorbed feeding bacteria that probably wasn't as prevalent before.
    i have a friend who has that allergy or intolerance. almonds are also on that list apparently

Blackcatbone is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by not on the rug View Post
    i have a friend who has that allergy or intolerance. almonds are also on that list apparently
    They can be. FM and assorted sugar intolerances are weird. I was going nuts a few years back trying to figure out what was wrong with me. I knew I was gluten intolerant (possibly celiac) and when I cut out the gluten other things became more obvious. I can only eat a few fruits, but the weird thing is the fructans and many things that have very specific types of fiber. I can eat blanched almonds but the skins throw me into inflammation hell. In my searching I found that they are a major trigger for people with ankylosing spondylitis (as well as other spondyloarthropies) due to them feeding a bacteria called klebsiella. IMO, most intolerances involve bacterial involvement, but unfortunately I don't think anyone knows how to fix this, short of a fecal transplant. There are too many bacteria in the gut and we don't even know half of them.

labmonkey is offline Senior Member
    Interesting stuff. I just noticed stomach pains when eating avocados a few months back. If I have them sporadically I'm okay but, back to back days and it gets painful.

I have allergies to a lot of fruit and some veggies, raw only. Cooked is ok. My reaction though, is not pain but, contact. Iching throat, ears etc. I've had this for over 10 years. Years back an allergist told me it was because of my allergy to birch. Fast forward a few years later and I meet two people at work who have the same reactions. Discovered what I have is called Oral Allergy Syndrome. It is a pain in the ass. There is so much fruit I can not eat. Raw apples and cherries are the worst. I'm also allergic to 3 tree nuts. And yes, Almonds is one of them.

I really hope this way of eating repairs this. I miss just being able to eat an apple straight off a tree. So yah, every once and a while there seems to be a new item to add to the list. Avocados started a few months ago and now blueberries have been an on an off problem the last 6 weeks.

Oral allergy syndrome - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

labmonkey is offline Senior Member
    It's amazing reading the list under Birch Pollen because I can still eat things like bananas and strawberries but also a bit disheartening b/c I love both of those fruits and some day it may come to an end.

OMG, I just noticed wheat under there. Holy man, ha! I have not noticed a reaction with it so very, very interesting.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast