Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Allergic to Avocado? page 2

Sooze is offline Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by labmonkey View Post
    I really hope this way of eating repairs this. I miss just being able to eat an apple straight off a tree. So yah, every once and a while there seems to be a new item to add to the list. Avocados started a few months ago and now blueberries have been an on an off problem the last 6 weeks.
    My hubby had this for a couple years and we discovered a similar article, realizing he had sensitivity to latex, and he ate a lot of bananas and avocados.. he cut them out completely and got his stomach issues under control. NOw that we've eaten primal for 6 months, he seems to be able to eat some avocado without major issues.

Jamilyn121 is offline Senior Member
    NOw that we've eaten primal for 6 months, he seems to be able to eat some avocado without major issues.
    That gives me some hope. I used to mash up an avocado with a bit of EVOO and use it as a spread for many things. I hope to be able to do that again someday. Why couldn't I have just developed an intolerance to something like marshmallow fluff, cheese curls, or taco bell tacos???

labmonkey is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamilyn121 View Post
    That gives me some hope. I used to mash up an avocado with a bit of EVOO and use it as a spread for many things. I hope to be able to do that again someday. Why couldn't I have just developed an intolerance to something like marshmallow fluff, cheese curls, or taco bell tacos???

Haha. I know.

This gives me hope too. I forgot that I tried an apple about 2 months into primal and the itchiness was delayed. I'm into my 5th month now. Hmmm, Mom's apple tree will be ready the end of September, so *cross fingers*

labmonkey is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sooze View Post
    My hubby had this for a couple years and we discovered a similar article, realizing he had sensitivity to latex, and he ate a lot of bananas and avocados.. he cut them out completely and got his stomach issues under control. NOw that we've eaten primal for 6 months, he seems to be able to eat some avocado without major issues.
    Although I do not have an allergy to latex, I did have ezcema as a child and still have some here and there. My daughter has ezcema pretty bad during the summer. Prehaps she has what momma has. (I didn't have these allergy until well into my 20s.)

Sooze is offline Member
    hahahahah! If there was ever a need for a like button, here it was We DID have those intolerances I s'pose - just more of the kill-us-in-slow-ways kind.. not an "urgent need to rush to the bathroom in front of everyone" way. I need an intolerance that involves shame and urgency!! ha.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamilyn121 View Post
    Why couldn't I have just developed an intolerance to something like marshmallow fluff, cheese curls, or taco bell tacos???

Cricket is offline Member
    I love avacados but I have decided they don't like me. I used to blame it on the onions or whatever I had it with but even making pudding does it....I get terrible gas from them. So I don't eat them anymore.

shema is offline Senior Member
    If I eat avocado straight my tongue and throat start tingling, get itchy, and feel swollen.

However I have noticed that whenever the avocado is mixed with lemon or lime, I seem to be OK or less affected. Someone told me that the acidity of the lemon/lime denatures proteins w/in the avocado that may be triggering the allergic reaction. I have no idea if this is true, I've never researched it, but it does seem to help. So I'll often have guacamole with lemon or lime incorporated and I do fine.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12