Thread: Question about carbs while nursing page

avocadogirl is offline Senior Member

Question Question about carbs while nursing

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Any nursing moms out there? I'm wondering how many carbs you consume. My LO is an avid nurser, and it seems like my supply might have dropped a little since I started eating Primal. I do have a sweet potato every other day or so, eat berries and other fruits, but not sure if I should up my carbs. I'm hitting about 80-95 per day as a "sweet spot".

Thanks!

teach2183 is offline Senior Member
    Do not restrict consumption while nursing. If your supply really is lower (and it's not just a growth spurt), then I would increase carbs. Check out kellymom.com for some great info on nursing.

Ooh, I love kellymom.com. It's my go-to resource. My LO is 13 months old so my supply has been well-established. I think it's either a growth spurt or teething, or I really need to add back some non-grain carbs.

McChunky is offline Member
    I'm still nursing a 1 yr old too. I think I eat a fairly high amount of carbs but I don't count them. I eat plenty of potatoes (white & sweet), lots of fruit and I don't think twice about enjoying Haagen-Daaz when I want it ;-)

I avoid toxins - wheat, seed oils, too much PUFAS, and refined sugar in excess. Even with being very loosey-goosey in my approach, I easily lost all my pregnancy weight and then some.

torena is offline Junior Member
    I actually have been struggling a little with this too (and hi from Manassas, VA!). I've allowed myself rice for now to make sure I am getting enough carbs. My son turned 2 today but he's really sensitive to any change in my milk supply. Even on my period he nurses a lot more frequently. Combined with the last two molars coming in and I'm just not taking any chances to make him nurse any more (or I will never get anything done ). I'm working on increasing my fruit/veggie carbs and transitioning out rice. I was surprised to find onion and garlic are pretty high in carbs and I love them so...

Thanks for the feedback! I'm going to be a little more relaxed about my carbs. I adore sweet potatoes but was cutting back a little. I have been feeling so good, I don't miss the junk or CW "healthy" stuff like oatmeal (used to be daily). I can't tell if my LO is nursing more and fussing for more because of supply or some other issue. I wasn't a big egg eater before starting Primal so I'm not sure if he's maybe also sensitive to that change. I went from oatmeal every day for breakfast to 2 eggs or full fat yogurt with fruit every day. I feel great but I don't want to cause my LO distress or continue this sudden trend on nursing every 90 minutes all night.

Muppet is offline Senior Member
    For myself I have found I need lots of fat. I am tandem nursing a two year old and a five year old. I just drink cream or coconut cream!

torena is offline Junior Member
    Yay tandem nursing! I tandem nursed from when my son was born until his sister's 4th birthday (about 11 months). I have heard increasing fat helps too. Unfortunately I'm recovering from some gallbladder problems so I can't do that jump quite yet.

FrankiG is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by avocadogirl View Post
    Any nursing moms out there? I'm wondering how many carbs you consume. My LO is an avid nurser, and it seems like my supply might have dropped a little since I started eating Primal. I do have a sweet potato every other day or so, eat berries and other fruits, but not sure if I should up my carbs. I'm hitting about 80-95 per day as a "sweet spot".

Thanks!
    Pregnant and nursing mothers need more than 80-95g of carbs per day unless they are overweight/obese (and even then dropping too low can affect milk supply). Try upping your daily carbs to 125g and see how that is, and if it's still not enough then go to 150g.

Your body is burning 300-600 calories per day in nursing - that puts you into the 'marathon runner' category when it comes to the Carbohydrate Curve. In my experience (nursed two children for a total of 5+ years combined) and doing a primal pregnancy, I need a LOT more carbs or else I don't have what my body needs.

They don't have to be grain-based (though if need be you can add quinoa or white rice per Mark's food pyramid). I will get myself over the hump from 100ish carbs to 150ish carbs with some raisins, an extra piece of fruit, sweet potato hash, etc...

When your little one weans or is only nursing once or twice a day then 85-90g might be appropriate, but right now you need more and that's ok.
    Teacher and Homeschooler
    One husband of 9 years,
    Two kids (6 & 3)
    Pregnant with #3, due this summer

Going primal resolved my anxiety symptoms!!!