Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hahaha, funny story: page 2

Kylex286 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Cool. Where in California do you live?
    Monterey, but I'm originally from South Lake Tahoe. I moved to Monterey for college.

Quote Originally Posted by Saoirse View Post
    that is really funny. how many braincells does it take to think up "May I speak with the culinary expert of the house?" when a telemarketer calls, it's always "may i speak with your mom or dad?" dude, i'm 27.
    Right? Seriously, I just looked at him and told him I was the cook in my house. He basically acted like I couldn't make a decision on kitchen supplies and ran away. It was very amusing.

Quote Originally Posted by KV8R View Post
    I'm the primary cook in my house too. My wife tells me all the time what a good cook I am. Of course I don't believe her, I mean, she also tells me she loves me just the way I am.
    I'm always told that I'm a good cook. I usually just say, "well I have been cooking for 14 years" but truthfully, I know I'm nowhere close to being an expert. I just have a knack for cooking and love doing it.

KV8R is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kylex286 View Post
    I'm always told that I'm a good cook. I usually just say, "well I have been cooking for 14 years" but truthfully, I know I'm nowhere close to being an expert. I just have a knack for cooking and love doing it.
    I'm actually very new to cooking, just started last year, but I'm finding out that i really enjoy it. I hope to get really good at it. I really enjoy experimenting with a new recipe that's outta my league, and actually pulling it off.

Urban Forager is offline Senior Member
    Monterey, but I'm originally from South Lake Tahoe. I moved to Monterey for college.
    I grew up in Monterey. As a former chef ( I cooked professionally for close to 20 yrs) I would advise you not to waste your money on culinary school. Just go get a job in restaurant; prep, dishwasher anything but waiting tables, then you can see if you like it. If you get a good chef you will learn a lot and get a little paycheck rather than get in debt. If you are enthusiastic and a hard worker any chef will try you out.

Quote Originally Posted by KV8R View Post
    I'm actually very new to cooking, just started last year, but I'm finding out that i really enjoy it. I hope to get really good at it. I really enjoy experimenting with a new recipe that's outta my league, and actually pulling it off.
    Me too! My I've made my own home made curry that came out really well, actually ever since I turned primal I started to get really into my cooking. Basically I make everything from scratch.

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Forager View Post
    I grew up in Monterey. As a former chef ( I cooked professionally for close to 20 yrs) I would advise you not to waste your money on culinary school. Just go get a job in restaurant; prep, dishwasher anything but waiting tables, then you can see if you like it. If you get a good chef you will learn a lot and get a little paycheck rather than get in debt. If you are enthusiastic and a hard worker any chef will try you out.
    Thanks that's really good advice! I've been trying to get a job in a restaurant for a long time now. I've always had to settle for pizza kitchens. I've only bee recently thinking of culinary school because I'm going to be in Japan next year and would really enjoy learning to make authentic Japanese cooking.

Urban Forager is offline Senior Member
    Thanks that's really good advice! I've been trying to get a job in a restaurant for a long time now. I've always had to settle for pizza kitchens. I've only bee recently thinking of culinary school because I'm going to be in Japan next year and would really enjoy learning to make authentic Japanese cooking.
    Taking a class in particular cuisine would probably be worth it, you could learn a lot and it wouldn't be that expensive. I usually don't recommend culinary school because it's so expensive and restaurant jobs tend not to pay much. I know when I was a chef I wouldn't necessarily hire some one with a culinary degree, in fact they often had unrealistic expectations. I looked for hard workers who were willing to learn.

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Forager View Post
    Taking a class in particular cuisine would probably be worth it, you could learn a lot and it wouldn't be that expensive. I usually don't recommend culinary school because it's so expensive and restaurant jobs tend not to pay much. I know when I was a chef I wouldn't necessarily hire some one with a culinary degree, in fact they often had unrealistic expectations. I looked for hard workers who were willing to learn.
    Thanks! your advice is very encouraging!

Jer37208 is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I'm a chef, and do you know what quality I look for when i hire cooks? A simple and honest love for food. Everything else falls into place when that's there.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast