Thread: Hi from the UK! page

natro is offline Junior Member

Thumbs up Hi from the UK!

Hi All,

I'm a 25yr old female from Yorkshire in the UK, and just become a mum. I'm also a farmer and we follow the joel salatin style of grazing to raise our 100% grassfed beef and lamb, and do our best with the pigs - non GM, no-soya home milled ration sourced locally. It's grain and peas (argh! lol) but they get silage/hay too and we're working hard on getting them onto whey etc. It's all sold direct to the customer, and it was a couple of customers that first introduced me to the idea of paleo - I was instantly sold on the idea, it made sense, and promptly lost 1.5st of the 4.5 I needed to lose without having to starve myself - I've done some DAFT diets in the past in an effort to control my weight, and always stuck to the salad + fruit = good mantra. With the paleo though, I suddenly found I had so much ENERGY! I'm NOT an athletic person, but even I wanted to go for a run. Doctors say I have the blood pressure of an athlete, too

...then I got pregnant and although I lasted quite well throughout and only gained the weight of the baby, once she was born I started on the carbs again, through convenience more than anything. Not exactly *really* bad stuff, like McDonald's & takeaway pizza, but cereal, cereal bars, bread and so on. So this is me trying to get back on the paleo wagon - carbs are definately addictive, once you slip, that's it - I find anyway.

I have 3st to shift, from a relationship with an ex that consisted of a lot of sweets and takeaways. It HAS to go. I'm generally happy with my lifestyle, I do a lot of walking every day, a lot of lifting buckets of milk for calves, a lot of carrying the baby and I occasionally have a sprint to round up sheep or cows! But, it's this 3st that just sits there. Despite breastfeeding, I never go below that line. Likewise, my mum has been very overweight for years for a number of reasons, she also is getting numerous health side effects from it now - she never used to be like it, she used to be bikini ready and petite and I'm desperate for her to get back to that, for her own confidence and because I am geniunely worried about her health. She has also subscribed to MDA and I really hope we can both do it this time! I think she wants to lose a similar amount of weight, so we're giving each other moral support!

That's it, thanks for reading, the recipes here particularly excite me!

rich1977 is offline Member
    Hi Natro, you have definitely come to the right place. You've taken a step in the right direction, keep the junk food out
    Of your system.
    Might be an idea to track your calories too, I use my fitness pal, you can barcode scan just about anything too.
    Going primal is the best thing I've done, both you and your mum should get the book really if you haven't already.

All the best

Nigel is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by natro View Post
    I'm also a farmer and we follow the joel salatin style of grazing to raise our 100% grassfed beef and lamb, and do our best with the pigs

I have 3st to shift
    I suspect you may well find a ready market for your grass fed animals here.

I still have about 3st to shift too. I count calories and carbs in order to make sure I stay on track:- Food journal for the Paleo Diet - PaleoTrack and Food Focus - Nutrition & Weight Management The first one gives a load of nutrient data but doesn't have some British foods, the second has a weight log as well as the food journal. I am quite happy eating some staple "recipes" that can be made up in order to make inputting foods easier. An example is my Mackerel Lunch:- tin of mackerel, tomatoes, cucumber, radishes, beetroot, gherkins, pickled onions and lettuce (I use the tomato sauce from the mackerel to take the taste of the lettuce away).

I set myself a goal of 1lb per week and am easily managing this, including having dark chocolate every day and red wine three times per week. I've gone from 17st 2lbs in early March to 15st 2lbs on Monday, and, I had a 4,450 calorie BBQ & wine blow out day last Friday.

I think that setting an easily achievable weekly goal so that I can have plenty of treats has helped keep me on track.
    Why use a sledge hammer to crack a nut when a steam roller is even more effective, and, is fun to drive.

chrisay59 is offline Member
    Hi, first of all well done on the weight loss and changing your life style habits, secondly as I'm also from the UK, and my wife is from Yorkshire, I notice that you mention that you sell your produce direct to the customer. Is it possible for me to buy from you also, and if so how do I go about doing so as getting good meat is so hard in the UK. BTW we live in Herefordshire.

Thanks

Chris

Gary Conway is offline Senior Member
    Welcome to the forum. Glad to read that some people in the UK are taking up the Salatin method. It's really interesting to read about

thanks for the replies! we had an 'expert' on the grazing style say he thinks we were the first uk farm to take it up - 10yrs ago.

i'm grain-free now, and able to withstand a jaffa cake being eaten right under my nose! i'm finding i'm much less tempted so maybe i'm breaking the cycle....mum's not faring so well as she's gone completely cold turkey and has withdrawal headaches which she remedied by eating some oats! i ticked her off for that lol...

even my 80yr old grandad is going primal thesedays - he'll never ever not eat his daily muesli but he's got a gluten free version and has swapped his semi skim for full fat jersey! massive breakthrough there...

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    It's working! I've lost a full STONE in 1month of weaning myself off carbs! I'm so so so amaaaazzed! didn't think progress would be so fast. I'm breastfeeding too, but that's still triple the weight loss seen in the first 3months after she was born - thanks mark!