Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Green Beans - not on the list? page

Greg is offline Senior Member

Shop Now

Unless I'm continually missing it... every Primal food list I read does not have green beans on the vegetable list. Any particular reason for this and do you guys eat them?

I happen to love them. In fact, for dinner last night, I had a big 'ol plate of eye round beef and a nice pile of fresh cut green beans - steamed, then sauteed in clarified butter with some sea salt and pepper. One of my favorite meals.

What gives with the green beans?

ZC - 100% Carnivore

I EAT VEGANS

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member

I think they are legumes so off the list.

Personally I eat them too... i wouldn't worry about it.

Hmmmm... disappointing news?

If, in fact, they are classified as a legume - they are the lowest carb legume I've ever met - only 2 net per serving and loaded with nutrients.

I need more info on these suckers because I'm hard pressed to give them up.

ZC - 100% Carnivore

I EAT VEGANS

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member

Don't worry about giving them up... you'll be fine

AlanBradin is offline Junior Member

Hi Greg. I was a little anxious to give up green beans, too. They're one of my favorite "vegetables", but yes, they are legumes and technically are not part of primal/paleo.

However, Robb Wolf addressed them in his podcast. It's not so much carb content to worry about with legumes. Rather, they contain something called lectin, which is an anti-nutrient which can cause gut irritation and block absorption of other nutrients. But with green beans, they contain VERY little lectin and, as a result, he doesn't advise against them.

It seems that whenever addressing these borderline foods, you should try cutting them out for a couple weeks, then phase it back in and see how you feel. I cut them out and am leaving them out, but only to pressure myself to continue experimenting with new vegetables.

yodiewan is offline Senior Member

I agree. I enjoy green beans also. Sugar snaps are especially delcious! I think they are generally off the list because they are legumes. I remember someone saying in a previous thread that since most green beans are more pod than pea, they are pretty harmless.

PrairieProf is offline Senior Member

As has been stated elsewhere, green beans are mostly the pod of the beans -- there's very little actual bean in there. And the beans are not mature, which I've read means they haven't developed the toxic aspects yet (though I can't back that up). I definitely eat them -- not really sugar snaps, as they're carbier. But I adore snow peas (the wide flat things you find in Chinese dishes) even more than green beans -- also mostly pod.

MichaelA is offline Senior Member

There is a lot of discussion about beans and their toxicity. Gazillion types of beans, zillion ways of cooking them, soaking, sprouting, steaming etc etc etc to make them less toxic, neutral, edible.

Now, why would you eat them? Because why, you like them?

There is a fish in Japan that contains deadly poison. Despite the risk, this type of dishes remain as special feasts in Japan. Cooking them is regulated by the government, but many diners die at the table.

It's not the case of the beans, but their toxicity is a fact. Why do you really want to eat beans? Dont you want to stay away of them?

I ran before I walked and didn't use the search method.

I eat them because I love them - however, I will pass on them because the are not primal.

"Green beans are actually unripe bean pods = part of

the legume family = not primal"

I'll have to investigate asparagus... another love of mine made the same way. I'd be more than content with these

ZC - 100% Carnivore

I EAT VEGANS

The almighty Primal asparagus is a winner!

Being a primal nutrition geek is fun.

ZC - 100% Carnivore

I EAT VEGANS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast