Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: So..I am just not a fan of vegetables page

Inksplat is offline Member

So..I am just not a fan of vegetables

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Alright, so, I know this forum is home to a few full-on Carnivores, so it does seem to be feasible, but, it still makes me at least a little nervous.

My problem is that, in general, I just don't like vegetables. Especially ones that I cook myself.

Out at a particular restaurant, two of my favorite things are their Cauliflower Mash, and Cream Spinach. At home, when I make my own? Despite my wife really liking it, I have to fight back a mild gag reflex on occasion.

Their cauliflower mash is super creamy and buttery, and I just can't match it. And I don't know what it was about the spinach.

I have similar reactions to squash and zucchini and broccoli. I can eat them, but I derive zero pleasure from it, and again, sometimes have that gag reflex. This is whether I steam them or saute them in butter. Hate raw tomatoes, but have discovered I do kinda like cooked cabbage (thanks to PB Cookbook's Kielbasa & Cabbage recipe).

Basically, I'd just love to get some ideas, or some sources that address a more low-veggie route. I'm doing this for my health, and I would hate to sabotage myself. Though, I lived most of my SAD-eating life with corn and green beans as my most common "vegetables", and I didn't die of malnutrition. So it does make me wonder.

Thanks in advance for any help!
    SW: 324.6 ----- CW: 310
    Primal Journal

Nady is offline Senior Member
    I'm more of a raw veggie person myself, maybe some winter squash or artichoke here or there, but mostly salad greens with add on things like zucchini, broccoli/cauliflower, cucumber, carrot, celery, mushroom, tomato, pepper, onion, green peas, even green beans!

Here's an idea~ next time you go to that restaurant, get an order of cauliflower mash 'to go' and freeze it when you get home. Then the next time you want some, there it is, just the way you like it!

MrsC is offline Member
    You can train yourself to like vegetables, it just takes time and exposure. I read a book recently that said that young children have to be introduced to a vegetable about 20 times before they start to "like" it, and it encouraged cooking the vegetable in different ways. Think of yourself as a young child in training, lol.

For example, you could eat broccoli steamed with butter, roasted in the oven with olive oil and salt, raw in a salad, or cooked with cream into a broccoli timbale. Experiment with different textures and flavors. Again, just like a child, tell yourself that you don't have to like it, you just have to try it. Initially think "exposure" more than "enjoyment."

I know this works, because I trained myself to like fresh fish using this method. I'm working on liver (my lifelong nemesis) now, and am happily eating homemade liver pate at this point.

I'm sure others will weigh in on eating a more meat-heavy diet, but there's so many benefits to eating veggies that it seems a shame to not at least try to like them.

anna5 is offline Senior Member
    I despise them. But I like some salad greens - lettuce with something or arugula with something. Instead of broccoli (which isn't edible) try steamed kale. I've learned to like (?) accept (?) soups (Sally Fallon has some simple recipes). They say fermented vegetables are good - try sauerkraut or kimchi.
    Let's face it - chocolate, omelet, roasted chicken or wild strawberries are tastier.

Betorq is offline Senior Member
    1) Next time you go to that favorite restaurant, order that dish. Afterwards compliment & chat up the wait person, calmly telling them your lil gag issue w/ home veggies. Ask for the recipe nicely/pleadingly (in advance, practice Puss n Boots eyes @ home in front of a mirror). Speak to the owner or chef if need be. Be super complimentary (no ass kissin' its the truth). Tell them you will continue being a patron of their fine establishment even of you make it @ home too

2) Skip meals (I.F.) & purposefully eat veggies when your hunger tells you to find something, anything & that you MUST eat again. Eat some veggies, not too much to gag you. Do some actual fasting (I.F before attempting longer ones) & break the fast w/ a small portion of buttered, salted creamed veggie of your choice + a protein.

Over time, you can train yourself...
    "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
    "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
    "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown

Inksplat is offline Member
    Unfortunately the place is like 4 hours away, lol. Wish I could go there more often, because it's amazing. But instead it's just when we're at the beach on vacations.

But yeah, training seems to be the only real choice I'll have if I don't want to go mostly carnivorous.
    SW: 324.6 ----- CW: 310
    Primal Journal

Radialhead is offline Senior Member
    I hate veggies too, but cutting them into smallish chunks, smothering with olive oil, roasting in the oven until they start to burn then covering with grated parmesan makes all the difference.

statikcat is offline Senior Member
    At least eat fruit between meals.

Enilegna/hearts is offline Senior Member
    Eat them with bacon.

labmonkey is offline Senior Member
    I love cook vegetables buckets more than raw but, I'm thinking for yourself, why not just eat fruit then. The training yourself to eat them is a great suggestion but, I guess if it were me, I'd be "F it. I'm eating what I love. I'll just eat more fruit". Maybe I'm getting old.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast