Thread: Eating fruit to cure sluggishness page

Eating fruit to cure sluggishness

Primal Fuel
    I've been low carb primal for about 1.5 years now and I initially lost about 40 pounds and I felt great. Lately, I been feeling sluggish and I think its been from being fairly low carb for a while. I usually eat a couple pieces of fruit a day on top of everything else I eat. Would a fruit binge a couple times per week help with my low energy? Or would starchy tubers work better?

I also work a crazy swing shift so my sleep patterns are jacked up. I was thinking that could be it but I usually try to get enough rest. Thanks for the help everyone.

barryman9000 is offline Senior Member
    I had the same issue with sluggishness and found I just couldn't lift any weights while eating LC. I added potatoes (of all kinds) and 2-4 pieces of fruit per day back into my diet: NO body fat gain at all, and I have a lot more explosive energy during sports.

I totally back LC eating at first, but once the body "evens out" (hormone resistance, etc) you should be able eat plenty of whole food carbohydrate sources. Some HG tribes subsist on high carb diets without being over weight because they eat natural sources (ie they're not eating grain based, seed oil and added sugar "health food" that has been sprayed with vitamins).

The best way to find out? Try it for a month and record the results.
    Last edited by barryman9000; 07-17-2012 at 09:14 AM. Reason: clarity

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    In the PB mark actually recommends that once every 2-3 weeks you throw in a high carb day if your sticking pretty consistently to LC Primal (under 100g/day).

I'd just go with that.

Actually says this:

"On the Primal Blueprint accelerated fat-loss program (detailed in Chapter 8), we will look to achieve what I call the weight loss “sweet spot”—a level of mild ketosis—by dropping carbs into the range of 50 to 100 grams per day. For Primal wight loss efforts, we ensure that protein needed for gluconeogenesis comes from our diet (not our muscles) and that we have plenty of fat to meet our daily fuel requirements. Primal diehards who average very low-carb intake over extended periods (50 to 100 grams or less per day) will likely benefit from having an occasional highercarb day (maybe 250 to 300 grams of nonsugar carbs) to fine-tune insulin sensitivity."

Sisson, Mark (2009-06-01). The Primal Blueprint: Reprogram your genes for effortless weight loss, vibrant health, and boundless energy (p. 97). Primal Nutrition, Inc.. Kindle Edition.

Not that you gotta go by the letter or anything. Just seems to me that I accidentally tend to do this and I have never come across any of the "low carb blues" that some people seem to experience.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 07-17-2012 at 10:55 AM.

Just a quick update:

Tonight while I was shopping with my wife I came across some coconut water in the store (I think the brand is Vita Coco?) I bought one thinking that maybe my electrolytes are out of whack so I drank about half of it and I gotta say I feel much better as far as energy goes. I also had a weird muscle twitch in my left bicep for the last couple days and I noticed that after drinking the coconut water that it went away.

I guess maybe I'm not getting enough salt in my diet especially since it's been 90+ degrees out. What are other good sources for electrolyte replenishment?

tradawg is offline Senior Member
    Add a pinch of celtic sea salt or pink himalayan salt and a squeeze of fresh lemon to your water...much more hydrating than plain water.
    $5 off iherb.com: QOC241

"Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good." - Voltaire

For nutrition/wellness tips:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/One...34671179916624

www.onelifeonebodynutritionaltherapy.com

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Well, I personally eat in that 50-100g area for the most part. I also make quite liberal use of salt.

In The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living by Drs Jeff Volek and Steve Phinney (page 240) recommends adding 2-3 g of sodium a day for a total of 5g (found on low carb forum).