Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: We're gonna need a bigger lunchbox... page 3

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Liz, in the early stages I think it's useful to count and get an idea of what you're eating, but not to try to judge or tweak too much until you get a feel for how to eat basic primal. I think the warning not to count is because a lot of people start counting and immediately start getting worked up over macros, cutting carbs to match an ideal number in their head, and so on. If you just track without criticism and just use it as a way to get a feel for what you're eating, then it's helpful, especially if you track that along with other factors such as athletic performance, weight/measurements, mood, and overall wellness. Once you have some data built up over a while, then you can look at your logs and observe things like how a lower-carb day affects your run, whether undersleeping is affecting fat loss, and so on. Until you have a feel for how basic primal works for you, simply tracking and observing is a good start.

Otherwise you end up being one of those people who tries a new tactic every few days and then posts here that they don't know why they're losing weight, but they don't know what they're eating or how they're exercising and their body can't adjust to anything because they jump on the latest board fad without getting the basics down first. Then I will come into your thread, read it, want to tear my hair out, and make faces at my computer. Don't be that person.

There's a lot of weirdness that crops up around here. Get adjusted to simple primal living first, then worry about the tweaks and the hacks (or don't--I'm quite happy with pretty basic primal and have been fairly successful). Sounds like you're on the right track so far.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

honeybuns is offline Senior Member
    ^^^

this!
    Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.

Quote Originally Posted by Owly View Post
    Then I will come into your thread, read it, want to tear my hair out, and make faces at my computer. Don't be that person.
    I strive to never be that person. ;-)

And I'm doing pretty good keeping an open mind. I'm not freaking out over the fat and calories, and as long as I stay below 150 grams of carbs I'll be happy. Right now all my adjusting is figuring out when I'm hungry and what I'm hungry for. Do I need a big or small lunch? Big or small dinner? Do I need snacks today or no? That's the real only tweaking I have going on.
    Liz in Cleveland

Started Primal 7/17/12
    5'9"
    SW: 227.2
    CW: 213.6
    GW: 175

I find when I'm packing a lunch for work that it's helpful to take multiple things that I can eat or not eat as I need. I know some folks pack one BAS, but I prefer to have some kind of protein (usually leftovers or something I've batch cooked like paleo chili), a smaller salad, a couple of pieces of fruit, maybe some cut-up veggies and an extra protein like hardboiled eggs. That way I can eat just some of my lunch if I'm not as hungry and not have a half-eaten thing that I will end up throwing out. If I don't want the other stuff, I can put it back in the fridge and then have a snack if I need it or save it for the next day.

Same thing with dinner. I'll cook and serve the main meal, and then if I find I only want half my steak, the other half goes in the fridge for the next day. But if I'm still hungry, then I'll have a bowl of berries or a piece of fruit, or maybe some more veggies or something. I know some people will say to eat more fat and protein if you're still hungry after eating your portion of dinner, but for me, I find it's better to fill up that last bit with vegetables because for me that's often what my body is actually asking for.

The key has been to eat until I think I'm close to satisfied but not full, and then I stop and allow my food to settle and wait to see if I'm still hungry. Hunger signalling takes time for the brain to recognize, so if you eat really fast and don't wait for those messages, then you can easily keep eating until you hit stuffed. If you stop at "I'm fairly satisfied" then after 20 minutes you will often feel happily satiated, and if you eat all your dinner and still feel a little hungry, wait that time and then see if you are actually still hungry or if your brain just needed a little time to catch up with your belly.

Intuitive eating is tricky, so it takes a little time to really learn to listen to what your body is saying, but I find that not rushing through meals and paying attention to what you're eating and how it feels can go a long way toward learning what will work for you.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Meals for today:

B: 3 eggs, 3 slices bacon, half avocado (tomorrow may do 2 eggs, 2 bacon)
    L: Bacon-wrapped filet, salad with romaine, spinach, yellow peppers, cukes, ranch, diet dr. pepper (ick)
    Snack: Cherries
    D: Ground beef with BBQ sauce and cheese
    Dessert: Blueberries with heavy whipping cream

Carbs: 72

I needed more veggies today. It's odd - when I get hungry now, because I'm not starving, I'm craving the crunchy veggies more than the meat. Had to force myself to eat the filet at lunch, but I knew I needed the fat and calories.
    Liz in Cleveland

Started Primal 7/17/12
    5'9"

Oh my, lots of eggs today. Didn't plan it that way but a friend and I went out to dinner and I figured breakfast was my safest bet at avoiding the temptation of high carbs.

B: Eggs, bacon, coffee with splenda & powdered creamer (all that was available)
    L: Salad - romaine, spinach, peppers, cucumbers, carrot, bacon, tuna, cheese, avocado, ranch
    Snack: Cherries
    D: 4 eggs, ham steak

Carbs - 69

Was VERY bloated and gassy after dinner, painfully so. Not sure if it was the half carton of eggs I ate today or if the ham did it. Fortunately it went after about an hour. Still not feeling any carb flu. Does it normally hit within a couple days or a week or so? Fingers crossed I'll skip it entirely...
    Liz in Cleveland

Started Primal 7/17/12
    5'9"

I haven't been journaling here regularly and I really need to do so. I have been keeping track of all of my food and haven't gone over 100 grams of carbs since that first day. I haven't experienced any carb flu yet which is awesome. I'm still not sleeping well, which sucks, but I feel good during the day. I haven't had any cravings which kind of surprises me. And best yet? Weighed in this morning as it's been a week...lost 2.8 lbs! *happy dance*
    Liz in Cleveland

Started Primal 7/17/12
    5'9"

Mud Flinger is offline Senior Member
    Hey there pittbullmamaliz - I grew up in the Cleve area and know the humidity well - it can just suck the life from ya! I have discovered swimming to be a great solution on those (or any) days. You can work out quite hard and not fear any injury, plus you just feel great when you get out.

I never experienced carb flu either, in fact just the opposite. My blood sugar used to crash when I ate too many carbs and I just felt great when I cut grains out of my diet. I never tracked in the beginning, just focused on eating clean and avoiding all grains, legumes and funky oils. I would even have a natural ice cream sometimes and didn't worry too much about the fruit. It is summer and great fresh things are abundant. If you feel the need to cut carbs further, I would wait until fall and give yourself a chance to get used to other parts of this lifestyle first (like cooking from scratch most of the time and bringing good foods with you so you don't end up trapped).

I bet your puppy loves you running (I assume she gets to go to) - I know my dogs love a good walk/run about! I always feel guilty the few times I go without them.

In the 50-100g range, you might not experience much of a carb flu. I didn't feel really crappy until I dropped under 50g (and since I never really stopped feeling icky at that level, I bumped back up, but that's me). You are eating in Mark's "sweet spot" weight loss range now, and since it's working for you, I wouldn't worry about dropping carbs lower if you're both losing weight and feeling good.

I think sometimes people think they have to suffer through carb flu to really make this work, but if you're seeing success without it, I wouldn't sweat it, just enjoy! Sustainability is important, so if you're losing comfortably now, then don't worry about tweaking until something stops working.

Owly's Journal

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123