Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: We're gonna need a bigger lunchbox... page 2

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    running in the heat and humidity blows. i've ditched a few runs more than a couple of times the last few weeks. are you doing anything else besides running. any heaving lifting or sprinting? i'm finding both of those a lot easier to tolerate lately.

if you're not feeling well, there's a good chance you're experiencing something called the carb flu. it will pass, but it will be annoying. when it does pass, that's a pretty good indicator that you're a little more fat adapted, and things will get better and better from then on.
    throughout this time, though, keep working out. even if you knock yourself back a couple of weeks with couch to 5k to deal with the heat...keep it up.

love the picture by the way.

Owly is offline Senior Member
    When I first got into running a few years ago, I started in January, so I had the opposite end of the temperature spectrum to contend with--I learned that I love running in the snow as long as it's not *too* cold (for me, that's below -20C). I find you can dress for the cold more easily than you can for the heat because there's only so far you can strip down and be legal!

On the bright side, after training through the hotter weather, you'll probably find you can do a lot more once it cools off since you won't be dealing with the additional fatigue from the heat.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Yes, I'm amazed every time I run in this cruddy weather that I'm actually enjoying it. Fall should be amazingly comfortable! I was THIS CLOSE to stripping my shirt off this morning and running in just my sports bra, but I'm still too fat for that not to be terrifying for anybody who may have been out that early to see it, LOL.

Would carb flu be hitting already? I just started yesterday and had around 130 grams of carbs, so I didn't figure I'd be feeling it so soon. That's fine if it is - I'd rather have it and get it over with.

And thanks for the compliment on my pic, PrimalRob - that's me & my baby girl. She's going to be 7 this fall (SEVEN!?!) - got her when she was 8 weeks. She's my heart.
    Liz in Cleveland

Started Primal 7/17/12
    5'9"
    SW: 227.2
    CW: 213.6
    GW: 175

Alright, had a good day today. It's so odd just not really being hungry or needing to eat. It feels WRONG but nice! It's awesome not worrying, "well, it's been about 3 hours - I need to eat or my blood sugar's going to plummet."

Food for today:
    B: 3 eggs, 3 strips bacon, half avocado
    L: Handful of almonds, some cherries (I had a lovely lunch packed but I wasn't hungry and couldn't stomach eating it!)
    Snack: Beef jerky
    D: Antelope steak over romaine lettuce, spinach, asparagus and half an avocado, with a drizzle of BBQ sauce as dressing
    Dessert: Blueberries with heavy whipping cream
    Beverages: Fresh brewed iced tea with splenda, water

According to MyFitnessPal, I'm around 85 carbs for today. I know I shouldn't be counting, but I'm a numbers kind of girl. I can't help it! I'll resist throwing out how many calories and fat that came to. ;-)

Feeling fine - bit under the weather this morning but I think that's more sleep and humidity issues than anything. Oddly enough, I'm having absolutely no cravings for anything. A friend was talking about pierogies and cheesecake and red velvet cake and lots of yummy things, and I had a brief thought of, "mmm, that sounds good," but that was it. I didn't stop on the way home and grab something bad to eat, which is amazing. My biggest craving right now is my blueberries and cream - I could eat pounds of them!

I'm confused though as I would have sworn I'd read that berries and cherries are low in carbs, as far as fruit goes, but they're really not. My blueberries were 21 grams and my cherries were 19. That seems high. Still very within my limits, but definitely not low like I thought I'd read.

I'm pretty proud of myself for not eating just because my body thinks it's time to eat. That's a big change for me. I was always a creature of habit/ritual. But this morning I didn't eat breakfast until 9:15 or so, ate my cherries and almonds around 12:30 maybe. Jerky was probably around 2. Dinner/dessert around 5:15. And now I won't need anything until 9ish or so tomorrow morning I'll bet. Bizarre!
    Liz in Cleveland

Started Primal 7/17/12
    5'9"

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    40 grams of sugar from cherries and blueberris sounds like a lot of fruit - that's more sugar than in a coke, I think. You sure about the numbers, or did you really eat a lot of cherries? In any case most Americans eat 300+ grams of carbs every day, you are doing great.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

I ate a cup of each, and MyFitnessPal said that's how many carbs are in them. I thought that seemed really high, too. But regardless, I'm well within a good range for carbs so I'm not stressing over it too much. :-)
    Liz in Cleveland

Started Primal 7/17/12
    5'9"

I was curious, so just for shits & giggles (can I say that on here?) I weighed myself this morning - 225.2. Down 2 pounds after 2 days on Primal. I know it's just water weight so I'm not getting all excited. I'll do an official weigh in every Tuesday I think. But it's still kind of nice that it didn't go UP - I would have sworn with all the meat and bacon and fat I've been shoveling into my mouth that I would have packed on more weight. So I'll take it. :-)

On a side note, when does carb flu generally kick in, if it's going to do so? I'm still feeling fine but don't want to get cocky if it usually blindsides you after a week instead of a couple days. :-)
    Liz in Cleveland

Started Primal 7/17/12
    5'9"

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pitbullmamaliz View Post
    I know I shouldn't be counting, but I'm a numbers kind of girl. I can't help it! I'll resist throwing out how many calories and fat that came to. ;-)

I'm pretty proud of myself for not eating just because my body thinks it's time to eat. That's a big change for me. I was always a creature of habit/ritual. But this morning I didn't eat breakfast until 9:15 or so, ate my cherries and almonds around 12:30 maybe. Jerky was probably around 2. Dinner/dessert around 5:15. And now I won't need anything until 9ish or so tomorrow morning I'll bet. Bizarre!
    counting calories and nutrients isn't that bad, so keep at it. in fact, i think it's probably a good idea while you're first starting out and getting used to things. the big thing is not to go crazy about it, meticulously analyzing every little thing until it stresses you out. i would say that the way you are tracking is probably the model that most people should use. once you become more familiar and more comfortable with your foods, however, i'd recommend dropping the tracking and just enjoy your food.

and bravo to you for not only listening to your body, but being proud of yourself for it. that's awesome.

jennylou is offline Junior Member
    Hi Liz!

I live in the Cleveland area as well. I'm about 220 right now, wear anything from a 16 (and not just a Lane Bryant 16!) to a 20 (Walmart is not kind). I can also rock at 14 in a dress (just bought one last month for my upcoming reunion and my BILs wedding in the fall).

I went primal in the spring of 2010 and lost 40 pounds (and then got pregnant b/c my cycle shifted, lol). Had baby and have lost about 90 pounds since she was born, but not entirely primal. I still eat rice and occasionally beans. I'm probably 75% primal, I've had a rough time getting rid of the rice, because she ended up being an allergic baby (still is), so there are all sorts of foods I can't eat. My loss has stalled out recently, but we recently moved and I started walking and then started the C25k challenge. It mainly annoyed me, guess i was walking so much and so quickly that I just needed to run, so now I run for about 35 minutes straight and found a website that I can plot my running on and am up to 2.5 mile runs. I haven't run this week, though I'm going to push myself to tonight, hopefully it's not too nasty! Since I started all this walking and running, I've dropped about 10 more pounds, but I'm also firming up - I'd rather the firm up than the weight drop. Although, the weight drop will be nice too.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Thanks for the feedback, Rob. :-)

Also, somebody posted this in another thread and I'm reposting it here so I don't lose it. I need to live in a country where there are street parties with thumping techno and dancing Vikings.

This is totally going on Facebook when I get home.
    Liz in Cleveland

Started Primal 7/17/12
    5'9"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast