Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Recovering Vegan goes Primal! page 8

Primal Fuel
    How disappointing! Your attitude is great though - just move ahead today!
    SW 149 (July 9th, 2012)
    CW 140 & 30% bf (Aug. 4, 2012)
    Goal 25% bf

avocadogirl is offline Senior Member
    I have mastitis. Again Le sigh.

I've been doing as well as I can but I also have little appetite. The supplement recommended for helping mastitis is lecithin. I might take some to help this along though it's soy based. Given the pain, I'm okay with taking some soy until this is resolved.

Ugh. Too much exertion in the heat wearing too tight sports bra. I should really know better.

RaeVynn is offline Senior Member
    RE: Hummus substitute. Try Baba Ganoush... it's made with roasted eggplant, tahini, garlic, and oil. Very, very good. I think several of the Paleo recipe blogs have it... try Nom Nom Paleo.

Betorq is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RaeVynn View Post
    RE: Hummus substitute. Try Baba Ganoush... it's made with roasted eggplant, tahini, garlic, and oil. Very, very good. I think several of the Paleo recipe blogs have it... try Nom Nom Paleo.
    Well, given that her hubbie is Israeli & a cook, I'm sure they have Baba Ganouj flowing out of their kitchen. As I said earlier, red pepper hummus, zuchinni hummus & yes, a nice tapenade are all great subs for traditional chickpea hummus.

Also, I'm not certain that lecithin made from soy has many drawbacks except that it's likely GMO unless it says otherwise. But if you or someone wants their lecithin but w/out GMOs, there is a sunflower-derived lecithin I've seen in some new products recently. Sunflower is GMO-free by default. Hehe, you eat bacon outside the kosher home, good one...
    "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
    "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
    "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Betorq View Post
    Well, given that her hubbie is Israeli & a cook, I'm sure they have Baba Ganouj flowing out of their kitchen. As I said earlier, red pepper hummus, zuchinni hummus & yes, a nice tapenade are all great subs for traditional chickpea hummus.

Also, I'm not certain that lecithin made from soy has many drawbacks except that it's likely GMO unless it says otherwise. But if you or someone wants their lecithin but w/out GMOs, there is a sunflower-derived lecithin I've seen in some new products recently. Sunflower is GMO-free by default. Hehe, you eat bacon outside the kosher home, good one...

Well, actually my husband has a thing against eggplant. Go figure. I make baba ganoush, but only the kids and I eat it. He only steps in the kitchen to make hummus or scramble/fry eggs. But he's quite good at those two things.

The lecithin supplements are from Whole Foods so I think no GMO, but I can't be certain. The way I see it, 3 days of soy lecithin supplements > 10 days of a powerful antibiotic. I'm feeling better so the rest, water, probiotics and lecithin seems to have done the trick. I hate mastitis.

I started my day with eggs and chicken sausage, and now lunch of turkey roll-ups with some sauerkraut and pickles on the side.
    Dinner is going to be some halibut with a creamy-lemon aeoli, some squash and some greens.

Betorq- it's kind of the trend among Israeli/not-too-religious Jews to keep kosher at home but not while eating out. It's a compromise. My cousin lives across the Potomac in Maryland and many restaurants there are kosher, from pizza to Thai and Chinese. But here in VA, it's inevitable that there's cross-contamination. Anyway, we are pretty secular. I like my bacon when I can get it, and bare my legs and elbows any chance I can get.

No camp for my eldest this week so likely no LHT workouts or swim sprints. I'll get plenty of slow movement and play, though

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    Do you have any luck with the cabbage leaf remedy for your mastitis pain? It really worked for me.

Quote Originally Posted by avocadogirl View Post
    Well, actually my husband has a thing against eggplant. Go figure. I make baba ganoush, but only the kids and I eat it. He only steps in the kitchen to make hummus or scramble/fry eggs. But he's quite good at those two things.
    He's good at making babies with you too, obviously. Any plans for more? Or are your hands already full with the current lineup? An eggplant hating Israeli...go figger indeed!
    The lecithin supplements are from Whole Foods so I think no GMO, but I can't be certain. The way I see it, 3 days of soy lecithin supplements > 10 days of a powerful antibiotic. I'm feeling better so the rest, water, probiotics and lecithin seems to have done the trick. I hate mastitis.
    Yeah, mastitis sounds horrid. Do what ever ya gotta do to deal w/ that. I personally don't think soy lecithin, even GMO, is all that bad, in the grand scheme of things that are really bad, in our world. But I understand those who rail against it & don't want it. I am against GMO big time, but I'm just not splitting hairs on the lecithin.
    Betorq- it's kind of the trend among Israeli/not-too-religious Jews to keep kosher at home but not while eating out. It's a compromise. My cousin lives across the Potomac in Maryland and many restaurants there are kosher, from pizza to Thai and Chinese. But here in VA, it's inevitable that there's cross-contamination. Anyway, we are pretty secular. I like my bacon when I can get it, and bare my legs and elbows any chance I can get.
    Ok, a kosher deli is kosher coz they carry kosher meats, they keep the dairy apart from the meats (dishes, cutting boards, sinks) & they have NO PORK NOR SEAFOOD that is trafe. But Thai restaurants serve seafood & pork, & pizza joints have pepperoni & sausage as toppings & Chinese love their pork & seafood too. Unless these restaurants cater to the Jews & are wholly kosher. In NYC & LA, I know there are lots of kosher Chinese joints, & some other kinds of ethnic kosher restaurants too (not Jewish delis). Please elaborate...

Quote Originally Posted by Sabine View Post
    Do you have any luck with the cabbage leaf remedy for your mastitis pain? It really worked for me.
    Yes, I used the cabbage leaves, but not too much because it can also affect milk supply. It's a great way to dry up, which I'm not quite ready for but this second bout of it makes me a little more anxious to wean.

Quote Originally Posted by Betorq View Post
    Ok, a kosher deli is kosher coz they carry kosher meats, they keep the dairy apart from the meats (dishes, cutting boards, sinks) & they have NO PORK NOR SEAFOOD that is trafe. But Thai restaurants serve seafood & pork, & pizza joints have pepperoni & sausage as toppings & Chinese love their pork & seafood too. Unless these restaurants cater to the Jews & are wholly kosher. In NYC & LA, I know there are lots of kosher Chinese joints, & some other kinds of ethnic kosher restaurants too (not Jewish delis). Please elaborate...
    So, Montgomery County in Maryland, especially the Rockville and Silver Spring areas have such a high population of modern Orthodox Jews that the ethnic restaurants that want to make money are under rabbinic supervision. So, yes Thai and Chinese without pork or seafood. There's even a kosher Subway and Dunkin donuts.

We are done having kidlets. I'm grateful for two healthy boys. Along the way we had three miscarriages, and one scary blod clot in my leg. After all that, I'm happy with two boys delivered naturally and joyfully. They keep me pretty busy.

Speaking of which, our activity today:

5 mile walk/hike with kids and dog in our forest
    2 hours at the pool

Lots of sunshine and play!

Hmm, so a friend trying to lose weight sent this to me:

Dieting vs. Exercise for Weight Loss - NYTimes.com

She saw me at the pool today and said, "you look leaner, especially your arms and thighs." ha! I could've kissed her! We talked a lot about diet and exercise, and I spilled the beans (snark!) on the PB WOE. She is going to check it out as she's been doing weight watchers for 2 years and only lost 10 lbs.

Yes, I used the cabbage leaves, but not too much because it can also affect milk supply. It's a great way to dry up, which I'm not quite ready for but this second bout of it makes me a little more anxious to wean. So, Montgomery County in Maryland, especially the Rockville and Silver Spring areas have such a high population of modern Orthodox Jews that the ethnic restaurants that want to make money are under rabbinic supervision. So, yes Thai and Chinese without pork or seafood. There's even a kosher Subway and Dunkin donuts. We are done having kidlets. I'm grateful for two healthy boys. Along the way we had three miscarriages, and one scary blod clot in my leg. After all that, I'm happy with two boys delivered naturally and joyfully. They keep me pretty busy. Speaking of which, our activity today: 5 mile walk/hike with kids and dog in our forest 2 hours at the pool Lots of sunshine and play!
    Cool, thanks for the explanation. Ya learn sumthin new every day...

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast