Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Recovering Vegan goes Primal! page 4

avocadogirl is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Another difficult night with the baby, and the squirrel is still in the gutters/attic so little sleep here. Sigh.

On days when I'm this tired, I do my best to stay as aware of my emotions and hunger cues. Nothing like exhaustion to really confuse hunger with the need for more rest/sleep. Of course, I get all these emails in my inbox from health/primal/paleo websites giving me suggestions on how to get more sleep (the whole dark room, no blue light, et cetera). Maybe they should come and get up with the baby for me. ) I have no problem getting back to sleep after his wakeups and nursing him. Our rooms are very dark (from blackout curtains), and cool and comfortable, but a baby waking up at 10:45 pm, 12:40 am, 2:50 am, 5 am and then being woken by the older boy at 6:30 for the day will put a real dent in feeling rested.

In good news though, I'm down another 0.5 lbs. I'm at 120.5 now. I'm a bit shocked it's happening so fast but I suspect that as I get very close to my goal of 115, I'll hover for a long time within a 2-3 lbs range. I'm okay with that. In some ways, I admit that those last 5-10 lbs are vanity. I'm well within a normal range of weight for my height and build, I wear a size 4 comfortably. And I am much more concerned with mitigating my RA and feeling like I am vibrant, strong and thriving than worrying too much about how much the scale will move or whether I'll ever be a size 2 or less.

This morning's breakfast:
    2 eggs over 1/2 avocado, handful of blueberries, coffee with coconut milk

In the slow cooker for dinner:
    Grassfed beef short ribs over onions/carrots and homemade Paleo BBQ sauce
    Plan on serving with some zucchini and sauerkraut

Not sure about lunch at the moment but I have observed that I tend to stay more sated when I eat eggs for breakfast than anything else. Sometimes I don't have time to cook them or run out of hard-boiled ones, and then I resort to a smoothie or some paleo crunch cereal. Eggs definitely nourish me and keep me contented until well past noon.

Took a 2 mile walk with dog and baby last night, and have the same plan for this morning. 2-3 mile walk then some yoga/Pilates during baby's naptime. If the nap is long enough, I'll throw in some squatting/lifting but I feel the need to stretch and strengthen more than lift today.

Tomorrow is the farmer's market! I always get giddy the day before.
    It's my favorite part of summer: we all walk from our home through the forest trail to the market. Kids help me pick out the produce. Then they try all the free fruits set out as samples and tell me what they want to try this week. Then we sit by the lake and snack on some fruit and yogurt, maybe take a kayak ride (usually my husband and oldest while the baby and I walk around the lake).
    Last edited by avocadogirl; 07-27-2012 at 05:42 AM. Reason: Typos

Farmer's market haul:

Zucchini (5 lbs!!!)
    Yellow squash
    Eggplant (fairy tale variety, so pretty!)
    Swiss chard
    Green beans
    Sweet and spicy wild grown greens
    Edible flowers
    Blackberries
    Peaches
    More peaches!!!!!
    Apples (early, I know)
    Blueberries

Greek yogurt
    Mozzarella
    Fresh butter (omg!)

6 steak filet mignons (grassfed beef farm was offering buy 2 get 1 free. Wish I had a bigger freezer)
    2 whole chickens
    36 pastured eggs

Dehydrated kale chips and sweet potato chips sold by a local guy trying to compete with Brad's

Woot! Nearly a week's worth of food, all locally sourced and bought directly from farmers.

What to make first???

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    Oh, yum. The Fathead site has a great recipe for crookneck squash casserole. And have you tried Siobhan's Zucchini Thing? And how about a nice Swiss chard quiche for munching to start you off? Ratatouille! Zucchini lasagne!! Peach and almond cobbler!!! Ooh, I want to start cooking myself!

What I've made so far, all grain-free!

Roasted chicken with tumeric rub
    Zucchini casserole (a sort of improvised ratatouille)
    Blackberry/blueberry crumble with almond/coconut/cinnamon

And this morning:

Poached eggs over waffles! Yes waffles!

I used the waffle recipe from this website:
    crispy almond waffles & hot buttery peaches | Eat the cookie!

I didn't use the tapioca starch and it was fine. I added an extra egg.

Tonight:
    Leftovers!!! We still have chicken and zucchini from last night, as well as plenty of greens to go alongside.

Betorq is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by avocadogirl View Post
    And this morning:Poached eggs over waffles! Yes waffles!
    I used the waffle recipe from this website:crispy almond waffles & hot buttery peaches | Eat the cookie!
    I didn't use the tapioca starch and it was fine. I added an extra egg.
    Tonight: Leftovers!!! We still have chicken and zucchini from last night, as well as plenty of greens to go alongside.
    Just this morning my mom said she was bored off eggs for breakfast. So I made her an organic smoothie (& snuck 2 raw eggs in it, lol)+ the last of my home-made yogurt, 1/2 can coconut milk, generous heap of cinnamon, some honey pickled ginger I started last night, pinch of cayenne (I sneak it in, not enough to taste but its there..), some coconut flakes, sprouted almond & soaked macs, bit of frozen peach, 1/3 frozen banana, 5 large strawberries. She balks & wants to only drink 1/2 of it, but like the food-nazi I am not, I urge her to drink it all, lol....
    @Avogirl, I want to try that no-grain waffle recipe too, leaving out the tapioca & adding an egg just like you did...
    "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
    "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
    "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Betorq View Post
    Just this morning my mom said she was bored off eggs for breakfast. So I made her an organic smoothie (& snuck 2 raw eggs in it, lol)+ the last of my home-made yogurt, 1/2 can coconut milk, generous heap of cinnamon, some honey pickled ginger I started last night, pinch of cayenne (I sneak it in, not enough to taste but its there..), some coconut flakes, sprouted almond & soaked macs, bit of frozen peach, 1/3 frozen banana, 5 large strawberries. She balks & wants to only drink 1/2 of it, but like the food-nazi I am not, I urge her to drink it all, lol....
    @Avogirl, I want to try that no-grain waffle recipe too, leaving out the tapioca & adding an egg just like you did...
    Yum! Sounds great. I like the addition of the pickled ginger and cayenne. I sneak cayenne and turmeric into almost all of my savory cooking. I haven't pickled ginger yet. I brew my own kombucha and coconut water kefir (have for about 3 years now), make my own fermented ketchup, pickled ginger is on the horizon.

My 5-year-old is out at the corner by the swimming pool selling lemonade right now. One lemonade is made with honey and fresh mint, another with some ginger and sucanat and one plain made with just a little stevia. He's such a budding cook. He wanted to sweeten them with different sweeteners because "some people like honey and some like sugar and some people have diabetes." lol! He's charging $0.05 a cup with ice. But apparently the profits will be donated.

Betorq is offline Senior Member
    Yum! Sounds great. I like the addition of the pickled ginger and cayenne. I sneak cayenne and turmeric into almost all of my savory cooking. I haven't pickled ginger yet. I brew my own kombucha and coconut water kefir (have for about 3 years now), make my own fermented ketchup, pickled ginger is on the horizon.
    I just recently started doing the coco water kefir, its nice & I likey... Just take raw honey & drizzle it over thinly sliced peeled ginger(I purposefully buy the thin skinned ginger & I peel it w/ a veggie peeler). Cover it & let it break down the fibres of the ginger for 2-7 days, depending on conditions. It's delish & ez. Can do garlic that way too...
    My 5-year-old is out at the corner by the swimming pool selling lemonade right now. One lemonade is made with honey and fresh mint, another with some ginger and sucanat and one plain made with just a little stevia. He's such a budding cook. He wanted to sweeten them with different sweeteners because "some people like honey and some like sugar and some people have diabetes." lol! He's charging $0.05 a cup with ice. But apparently the profits will be donated.
    Don't you mean $0.50? 5 cents is a lost leader imo. I also sold lemonade in front of my house as a kid, neither of my brothers helped or coaxed me into it, it was my idea. Also did other entrepreneurial stuff around the neighborhood to make money(for candy, ha), I was also the budding lil businessman. Your son sounds like a sweet kid... My mom taught me how to cook pretty early, I was her youngest & she was more often my babysitter while my older brothers were out in the world making mischief.
    "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
    "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
    "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown

cookie is offline Senior Member
    i missed: how old is your baby?
    sounds like you are a natural primal!

Quote Originally Posted by cookie View Post
    i missed: how old is your baby?
    sounds like you are a natural primal!
    The baby is almost 14 months and weighs 26 lbs! He's a big fan of green beans, roast chicken, avocados and nursies (breastfeeding).

I'm doing my best with being primal. I'm still fairly new and learning. My husband is not on board yet so we still have plenty of grains in the house. My oldest likes his almond butter and mango butter sandwiches on sourdough or pumpernickel breads. They all enjoyed the grain free waffles and the crumble I made. I'm trying not to make too much sweet stuff or substitutes for grains, but my family asks me constantly for pancakes and waffles and muffins so doing my best to accommodate and adapt without grains.

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast