Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Thread: Recovering Vegan goes Primal! page 12

avocadogirl is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Betorq View Post
    Pickled ginger & pickled garlic are good/great for coughs & colds too! Good for everything. I eat 2 pickled garlics a day now, pickled ginger too, sauerkraut, kimchi, kefir, yogurt, it's crazy the variety of fermented stuff I have laying about now...

Let me know how the Mag oil works for you as I take 2 Mag citrate caps before bed, also a cal-mag fizzy drink in a bit of warm water, but getting to sleep is still difficult for me. I sleep fine once I'm under, but it's the getting to sleep that's vexing me. I never had issues when I was younger: it was head-on-pillow-instantly-out... I even added valerian/camomille & my often maligned melatonin to the afore-mentioned mixes, but nothing seems to work. If I had a gf & could have sexy time every night, that would likely do it, haha
    My current fermentations include kombucha, coconut water kefir, lacto-fermented ketchup and apple chutney and the pickled ginger. Garlic is next! Do you slice the cloves thinly or just use them whole? Also with raw honey? I have to get more raw honey this Saturday at the farmer's market.

Yes, orgasms are a proven natural remedy for sleeplessness. In my old lab, we used to joke that orgasms are as important as oxygen. Ya know, element O. Wink wink. Haha! Yes, chemist humor is pretty lame.

Quote Originally Posted by badgergirl View Post
    Don't let Crabcakes hear that...
    Haha! Are Crabcakes and I going to have to go head to head in some coconut oil smack down to win the affection of the King of Fermentation, Betorq?

In other news: the baby is sicker today and that is the reason I'm up so early. More broth for us all as he fights this. Late summer colds are awful. I'm not a big fan of August. Between the sticky heat, the mosquitos, dying bees, and summer colds, I'm looking forward to fall.

Betorq is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by avocadogirl View Post
    My current fermentations include kombucha, coconut water kefir, lacto-fermented ketchup and apple chutney and the pickled ginger. Garlic is next! Do you slice the cloves thinly or just use them whole? Also with raw honey? I have to get more raw honey this Saturday at the farmer's market.
    Currently I'm eating the garlic cloves whole, pickled w/ a strong starter of blended cabbage from former batches of kimchi. It takes a lot longer to pickle them whole but what they hey, I like how they look that way(caveat, they can turn green or even blue-ish from copper in water, no worries for safety though), + I know I've eaten 2 coz they are whole. But yes, the mandoline sliced garlic in honey I learned from a master chef from India. And they are magical tasting & great for health. That honey fermented ginger is pretty damn awesome too, eh? Honey fermentation is not just for mead!

Yes, orgasms are a proven natural remedy for sleeplessness. In my old lab, we used to joke that orgasms are as important as oxygen. Ya know, element O. Wink wink. Haha! Yes, chemist humor is pretty lame.
    Haha! Are Crabcakes and I going to have to go head to head in some coconut oil smack down to win the affection of the King of Fermentation, Betorq?
    Hot married ladies wrestling in coconut oil in a roped ring, haven't I seen that on film somewhere?

In other news: the baby is sicker today and that is the reason I'm up so early. More broth for us all as he fights this. Late summer colds are awful. I'm not a big fan of August. Between the sticky heat, the mosquitos, dying bees, and summer colds, I'm looking forward to fall.
    Fall is coming...
    Last edited by Betorq; 08-16-2012 at 04:06 AM.
    "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
    "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
    "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown

onalark is offline Senior Member
    Not fermented, but still pickled: I love lime-pickled red onions. We eat them on just about everything. I slice a red onion very thin, soak in salt water for an hour, drain well, and then toss with the juice of two limes and a dash of rice vinegar. I'll also sprinkle on some red pepper flake if I want to give them a little punch. Such a great condiment.

Betorq is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by onalark View Post
    Not fermented, but still pickled: I love lime-pickled red onions. We eat them on just about everything. I slice a red onion very thin, soak in salt water for an hour, drain well, and then toss with the juice of two limes and a dash of rice vinegar. I'll also sprinkle on some red pepper flake if I want to give them a little punch. Such a great condiment.
    Awesome! Thanks! I have all those ingredients & will make this tomorrow as I adore red onions. My suggested modification: leave out the vinegar 'til the end & instead @ the beginning, add some cabbage fermented puree with that salt, let set for a day or two, gentle fermentation. Then you can add the vinegar to stop the fermentation where you want it, for your taste preference...
    "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
    "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
    "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown

Currently I'm eating the garlic cloves whole, pickled w/ a strong starter of blended cabbage from former batches of kimchi. It takes a lot longer to pickle them whole but what they hey, I like how they look that way(caveat, they can turn from from copper in water, no worries for safety though), + I know I've eaten 2 coz they are whole. But yes, the mandoline sliced garlic in honey I learned from a master chef from India. And they are magical tasting & great for health. That honey fermented ginger is pretty damn awesome too, eh? Honey fermentation is not just for mead!
    It's done! Mandolined garlic covered with honey now in the cabinet next to the ginger-honey, and the apple chutney (take 2). Now I just have to be patient. That's not my strong suit but so necessary for good ferments. Raising children, writing books, fermenting foods -- all good lessons in patience practice and mindfulness.

Hot married ladies wrestling in coconut oil in a roped ring, haven't I seen that on film somewhere?
    First world problems, right?

Fall is coming...
    All I can think is "Winter is coming" from Game of Thrones, because I am a geek. Ha! Also, I love fall and winter. I'll love it more when I don't have RA pain during those months. I'm hoping my new diet/exercise/acupuncture/massage/awesome doctors combo will mean a pain-free fall/winter. Jumping in leaf piles, snowshoeing, skiing. I'm ready for it.

Yum yum yum!!! Now I'm hungry again. I have some red onions I can do this to. This would be so delish with some scrambled eggs or next to some roast beef.

I'm loving this thread. Let's keep talking about ferments and good pickled foods. I started a board on my Pinterest account just to collect some of the stuff I find online. I'm sure my friends think I'm a mad scientist.

Speaking of which, this is what my 5-year-old said to a friend today:

"My mom takes a drop of lime, a drop of lemon and a drop of *SCIENCE*, and she mixes it all together and then there's an explosion. And we also use baking soda sometimes. And then we bake it all."

Hmmm. Okay. So he's describing either my cooking, my cleaning or my former day job. It made me laugh, especially his emphasis on the word "science" like it was a huge deal. Love him.

onalark is offline Senior Member
    I'm loving this thread. Let's keep talking about ferments and good pickled foods. I started a board on my Pinterest account just to collect some of the stuff I find online. I'm sure my friends think I'm a mad scientist.
    I've been aching -- aching, I say! -- to make something fermented and cabbage-based. Either cortido or kimchi. I even bought Korean chili powder to make kimchi. But I love cortido, too. Oh, decisions!

Also in the South American vein, I love those pickled cauliflower and carrot condiments you get at better Mexican restaurants. Oddly enough, don't see them all that much here in SoCal. Guessing it's not a Baja thing? Don't know. Just know there's a batch in my future.

I've been aching -- aching, I say! -- to make something fermented and cabbage-based. Either cortido or kimchi. I even bought Korean chili powder to make kimchi. But I love cortido, too. Oh, decisions!

Also in the South American vein, I love those pickled cauliflower and carrot condiments you get at better Mexican restaurants. Oddly enough, don't see them all that much here in SoCal. Guessing it's not a Baja thing? Don't know. Just know there's a batch in my future.
    I've never attempted kimchi...yet.

At our farmer's market there is a small pickling company called Fresh Crunch that sells different items each week. They often have these pickled carrots they call "Flying Mexicans" with jalapeņos. They leave a nice afterburn. Between those carrots and their hot and sour pickels, I'm a happy camper.

Richardmac is offline Senior Member
    You guys are too hardcore for me. Il let you guys lead the way in fermenting and pickling, Ill just be boring and eat like Grok.

Richard

Crazy craptastic day too tired to share about it now.

But hey, let me leave you with a kid-friendly, pretty-much-anyone-will-eat-it super EASY slow-cooker recipe. I'll post the original and then notate my changes.

" No prep work required, toss everything in the slow cooker and dinner is ready in 7 to 8 hours."

Beef and Apple Curry

1 pound lean stew meat, cut into bite size pieces (I used regular grass-fed stew meat)
    1 tablespoon curry powder
    1 small yellow onion, diced
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    1/2 teaspoon black pepper
    2 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and cut into 1/2” cubes
    2/3 cup beef broth, low sodium (I used leftover bone broth)
    1/3 cup apple juice, unsweetened (I used less than 1/4 cup unsweetened fermented apple cider)

Place stew meat in slow cooker, sprinkle with curry powder, add all other ingredients and stir to combine. Cover, cook on low 7 to 8 hours. Recommend 4- 6 quart slow cooker.

The kids, the husband, the picky teenage neighbor locked out of his house all ate this. Kids and teenager ate it over some steamed rice. I had some green beans on the side. It's easy and delish. Totally manageable on a day that otherwise felt overwhelming and awful.

I think I need some rainbows and unicorns.

Goldie is offline Senior Member
    Here ya go AG:

BTW, that recipe looks delish! I'm gonna give it a try this weekend!

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast