Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread: Recovering Vegan goes Primal! page 11

avocadogirl is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Betorq View Post
    I'm a recovering person of 24 years, kinda post-12 steps at this point of my life. But both my parents have addictive personalities & habits too, and me too obviously. I heard addiction can skip generations, but its no hard-fast thing. But as you said, yer raising your kids maximally loved, supported & consciously, which our parents, mostly didn't/couldn't even conceive of, much less put into practice. So who knows...? Nobody does. But "life is a grand adventure or it is nothing at all"...
    I re-read what I wrote earlier and it was terribly arrogant to call myself not addicted. I may not have abused alcohol like my dad or pills like my mother, but I certainly had quite the food/sex/love addiction streak through my late teens and 20s. Lots of therapy and al-anon for me.

My father's father also died of alcoholism at age 67. Also liver failure. I'm hoping that even though I can't tolerate alcohol and therefore never made it the source of my needs being met, that it won't just skip me and go to my boys. Just doing the best I can to stay conscious and educate them, and love them and hope its enough when they venture out.

Pssst. Brisket for dinner with greens and a sweet potato. Kids go to bed then I'm finally having a primal almond joy.

Betorq is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by avocadogirl View Post
    I re-read what I wrote earlier and it was terribly arrogant to call myself not addicted. I may not have abused alcohol like my dad or pills like my mother, but I certainly had quite the food/sex/love addiction streak through my late teens and 20s. Lots of therapy and al-anon for me.
    Al-anon rocks. Great program. I think a lot of us went thru our food/love/sex stages when we were young. And no, you didn't come sounding arrogant at all, not to me at least. And I am/can be arrogant at times, even nowadays, some... So I ought to know.

My father's father also died of alcoholism at age 67. Also liver failure. I'm hoping that even though I can't tolerate alcohol and therefore never made it the source of my needs being met, that it won't just skip me and go to my boys. Just doing the best I can to stay conscious and educate them, and love them and hope its enough when they venture out.
    Alcoholism, workaholism & just plain ol addiction runs in my family, both sides. Don't worry about yer kids, even if they do inherit some tendencies, like my son could too, we have the tools & the perspective on things our parents/grandparents never did.

Pssst. Brisket for dinner with greens and a sweet potato. Kids go to bed then I'm finally having a primal almond joy.
    Please do, then share the joy, not just of the almond, but the sweetened coconut. When I was a little boy, I always wanted coconut creme cake for my birthday. Even after I discovered chocolate, coconut remained my favorite dessert. I still eat lots of both, lol, but not so much sugar of course. I do use stevia alone &/or along w/ erythritol which has a grainy sugar-like texture in cooking/baking. I'm planning a NY style decadent cheesecake for my mom, her recipe from the 1970s, right before I leave here to return to Calif. It'll be her cake for losing all the weight, building all the muscle, getting off her 5 meds & regaining quality of life back, & it'll be my send-off celebratory cake.
    "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
    "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
    "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown

I was pretty sore yesterday from my LHT workout on Friday and my sprints on Saturday. But today I feel great. No soreness and no pain in my knees. Woot woot!

Hubby finally made it home Saturday evening and we finally enjoyed the brisket. It was tender and delicious and I had some of the leftovers this morning alongside my eggs. Yum yum!!

He also brought home a beautiful Michael Kors purse for me. I was totally surprised. It's not officially an anniversary but we've been living together for 10 years this month, and he said "Happy 10 years of cohabitation and putting up with me."LOL! Okay. I'll take a luxury purse for that.

We ate out with friends last night. I feel like I made some good choices with a spinach salad with grilled chicken, peaches and walnuts. It was great until we all went to the gelato place. Sigh. Gelato. So I had some gelato sorbet (essentially dairy free) in this amazing Spicy Chocolate flavor. Think Mexican chocolatl. Quite the afterburn. I'm not going to beat myself up over it.

Tomorrow: LHT!!! Yes.

Also: I registered for my first 5k EVER. It's in November and benefits Refresh Rwanda, providing water filters in Rwanda. I'm so excited! I designed my own program for the next 90 days following PBF guidelines with a few longer runs. Nothing too intense or long as far as distance.

I'm planning a NY style decadent cheesecake for my mom, her recipe from the 1970s, right before I leave here to return to Calif. It'll be her cake for losing all the weight, building all the muscle, getting off her 5 meds & regaining quality of life back, & it'll be my send-off celebratory cake.
    Such wonderful news about your mom. She must be so grateful. What a great send off with a coconut cheesecake. When do you head West again? You must miss everyone in California.

I only made a few primal Almond Joys. And here's my review: the recipe says you can use unsweetened shredded or fresh, but I thought the shredded coconut was too dry. I had to add more honey than I wanted to in order to really shape them and give them the texture I was looking for. I did discover that the Trader Joe's 85% dark chocolate lover's chocolate is awesome and melts well enough. Whenever I decide to try it again, I'm using fresh coconut meat and less honey.

Heading back to Calif the 2nd week of Oct. Yes, I have missed friends, bike & hiking trails, foods, markets & theatres etc. A planned 6 weeks in Atl turned into 3/4 of a year somehow...

And my mom is 75% grateful, 25% sick of me being the food-nazi. Left to her own devices, she follows the "seafood" plan: she sees food, she eats it. But she's now off 2 of her original 5 prescription meds, now working on #3, ie lowering her blood pressure med from 1 pill to 3/4 pill, weaning her off of it til its history, as per the PDR & confirmed by her doctor's recommendation.

Might I suggest adding/upping coconut oil & using fresh coconut flesh, & lowering the honey some. Or if you want to go all coo-coo for coco, you could get some coconut nectar, though it's not usually a product I suggest as it directly competes w/ the coconut meat production. The sweetner & the coconut meat cannot come from the same trees & the sweetner is higher profit, if you recall from an earlier thread I started...

Heading back to Calif the 2nd week of Oct. Yes, I have missed friends, bike & hiking trails, foods, markets & theatres etc. A planned 6 weeks in Atl turned into 3/4 of a year somehow...

And my mom is 75% grateful, 25% sick of me being the food-nazi. Left to her own devices, she follows the "seafood" plan: she sees food, she eats it. But she's now off 2 of her original 5 prescription meds, now working on #3, ie lowering her blood pressure med from 1 pill to 3/4 pill, weaning her off of it til its history, as per the PDR & confirmed by her doctor's recommendation.

Might I suggest adding/upping coconut oil & using fresh coconut flesh, & lowering the honey some. Or if you want to go all coo-coo for coco, you could get some coconut nectar, though it's not usually a product I suggest as it directly competes w/ the coconut meat production. The sweetner & the coconut meat cannot come from the same trees & the sweetner is higher profit, if you recall from an earlier thread I started...
    Oh, good plan. Yes, I think coconut meat plus oil and very little bit of honey. I am pretty coo-coo for coconuts. maybe we need to start a support group for coconut lovers. I use coconut oil on my skin and on the ends of my wavy hair (best moisturizer and frizz fighter). Or perhaps a fan page for you (I'm sure you read Paleobird's thread from last night -wink wink nudge nudge).

Being an Appalachian native, I'm sure you've rafted the Ocoee before but if you haven't, do it before heading west. The Ocoee is my favorite river even if it's a wild ride through those class V rapids. You're close enough in northern Georgia for a day trip, or there's an awesome B&B nearby on the NC side.

How great you have the flexibility to live/work where you want. I can't imagine going back to work for a company or university now that I've spent years working for myself now. I know the time will come when I will need to head to Arizona to help my own mom out. She's lived there for 25 years and completely unwilling to move, so I think I'll be back in the desert again in the future. G-d willing it's not too soon.

This is too funny and too accurate:

what it is like to (not) sleep at night – illustrated with crappy pictures

But my cats know better now to not try the 5:00 am wake-up. They do find a way to nudge in around that time.

I'm excited about my LHT workout today. I'm even going to attempt a pull-up. Chin-ups I can do, but the pull-up elude me. No more. I'm going to do one in the next 90 days.

I took the kids to a local forest trail that just happens to have those workout stations like step-ups, pull-ups, sit-up bench, et cetera. I believe they are called parkours?? Maybe?

Baby sat in stroller contented because I let him hold a muddy branch and his red car. The 5-year-old tried to compete with me. He was hilarious and sweet.

We walked 3 miles. I did 50 squats but with no extra weight, in sets of 2*25.
    30 knee push-ups (and a splinter to show for it)
    2 1 minute plank holds
    1 attempted pull-up (lots of focus on engaging those muscles though)
    Then 3 chin-ups

My 5-year-old could do 2 pull-ups. Show off.

Then we sprinted twice for about 25 meters, not too far from the baby and then raced back to him. Baby was utterly delighted by our antics.

We came home and had some broth, coconut water, fruit, leftover zucchini and eggs for dinner. I added some sauerkraut and pickled ginger next to my eggs. The baby got lots of extra bone broth because he's coughing a little.

I'm thinking about ordering some magnesium oil to rub on my skin. I'm having a hard time falling asleep and unwinding, even though I meditate before bed. I'm wondering about trying some extra Mg.

I took the kids to a local forest trail that just happens to have those workout stations like step-ups, pull-ups, sit-up bench, et cetera. I believe they are called parkours?? Maybe?
    Parkour is cool. I used to do something like that sometimes when I was spazzin out as a kid.

Baby sat in stroller contented because I let him hold a muddy branch and his red car. The 5-year-old tried to compete with me. He was hilarious and sweet.
    We walked 3 miles. I did 50 squats but with no extra weight, in sets of 2*25.
    30 knee push-ups (and a splinter to show for it)
    2 1 minute plank holds
    1 attempted pull-up (lots of focus on engaging those muscles though)
    Then 3 chin-ups
    My 5-year-old could do 2 pull-ups. Show off.
    Then we sprinted twice for about 25 meters, not too far from the baby and then raced back to him. Baby was utterly delighted by our antics.

We came home and had some broth, coconut water, fruit, leftover zucchini and eggs for dinner. I added some sauerkraut and pickled ginger next to my eggs. The baby got lots of extra bone broth because he's coughing a little.
    Pickled ginger & pickled garlic are good/great for coughs & colds too! Good for everything. I eat 2 pickled garlics a day now, pickled ginger too, sauerkraut, kimchi, kefir, yogurt, it's crazy the variety of fermented stuff I have laying about now...

I'm thinking about ordering some magnesium oil to rub on my skin. I'm having a hard time falling asleep and unwinding, even though I meditate before bed. I'm wondering about trying some extra Mg.
    Let me know how the Mag oil works for you as I take 2 Mag citrate caps before bed, also a cal-mag fizzy drink in a bit of warm water, but getting to sleep is still difficult for me. I sleep fine once I'm under, but it's the getting to sleep that's vexing me. I never had issues when I was younger: it was head-on-pillow-instantly-out... I even added valerian/camomille & my often maligned melatonin to the afore-mentioned mixes, but nothing seems to work. If I had a gf & could have sexy time every night, that would likely do it, haha
    Last edited by Betorq; 08-14-2012 at 08:13 PM.

badgergirl is online now Senior Member
    Let me know how the Mag oil works for you as I take 2 Mag citrate caps before bed, also a cal-mag fizzy drink in a bit of warm water, but getting to sleep is still difficult for me. I sleep fine once I'm under, but it's the getting to sleep that's vexing me. I never had issues when I was younger: it was head-on-pillow-instantly-out... I even added valerian/camomille & my often maligned melatonin to the afore-mentioned mixes, but nothing seems to work. If I had a gf & could have sexy time every night, that would likely do it, haha
    Don't let Crabcakes hear that...

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast