Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It's too expensive and unrealistic for a college student to be primal :( page

samiamm is offline Senior Member

It's too expensive and unrealistic for a college student to be primal :(

Primal Fuel
    I posted about this here a while ago, but never got any clear cut answers. How do you guys stay 100% primal? Its so expensive buying all nat. Meat, eggs, etc. etc. It seems like all the healthy stuff, minus the vegetables, is expensive. Im getting ready to go off to college, where they do have a salad bar, but as far as everything else I'm screwed. Eggs and salad everyday .

jesssa is offline Member
    will you be on a meal plan when you are away at school?
    it does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live

at just the right time, we will reap a harvest of blessing if we don't give up

yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    I think you can get 90%+ of the benefits of a good diet just by cutting out crap (processed foods, seed oils). Grassfed/pastured meats are ideal but I think from a health standpoint, you will be fine with conventional meat. I may change my tune after this week; I'm finally getting my half a cow!

Yes, it ties in with my aid package

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    like yodiewan said, you don't need to buy the expensive meats. i'm on a budget, so i don't get grass fed, pastured, organic, etc...i buy conventional. that's my 20% (please please please...let's not turn this into another 80/20 thread).

meals on a college campus can be tricky. but, you can always count on them having plenty of eggs, salad, veggies, burgers, etc. You may not be getting the best quality food, but there will be primal options and a half-way decent variety. if not, you can usually bring up dietary suggestions and the college will try to do something about it. with gluten insensitivity becoming more well known, they're probably already headed toward having more primal options.
    to supplement those meals, you can also get great supplements for cheap, keep some fruits, veggies, eggs and meat (conventional is fine) in your room. and, stock up on things like tuna and sardines that will keep for a while without refrigeration.

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    That sucks.
    Cafeterias are awful. I'd just try and do the best you can do. Look for things like chicken breast and get creative- maybe get a burger and salad, ditch the bun. But yeah, it's probably going to get old. The good thing is that at least when I went to college the cafeteria food wasn't even tempting- even the junk was crappy tasting. LOL, they made spaghetti with green peppers.

Maybe invest in a microwave, crock pot and a mini fridge. A crock pot can go a long way to making good meals. Some beef, stock, and cut up veggies and you have a good meal for days. Hell I was far from primal in college and all of us used the crock pots, hot plates and microwaves to eat.

Mike in Virginia is offline Senior Member
    What yodiewan said. Do the best you can and don't sweat it. The meat, fish, veggies, and even rice and potatoes (unless fried, cuz they're sure to use nasty oils) should be perfectly fine. Not ideal, but if you stay away from sweets and grains you should be well within the 80% and far ahead of almost everyone in your age group.

I'm not sure what percentage of people on this forum stick exclusively with grain-fed meats and all organic everything, but I sure don't. As you say, it's expensive, and I for one can't afford it. But the benefits of the primal way of eating have been amazing anyway.

Best of luck to you.
    Live your life and love your life. It's the only one you get.

The junk food at my college is actually pretty great. They have muffins, cakes, blueberry pudding, pork roast, burgers, etc. etc.

The only thing I go to is the salad bar, and breakfast was like heaven, cheeeesy omelettes with sausage links.

The foods actually pretty good, just not healthy. What really sucks though is I'm at my best when I'm primal.
    My whole life I've had ridiculous allergies, and my nose only cleared up when I ran. Since going primal, I've lost allergies, had much more energy, and just felt so much better.

Id hate to go back to my old ways, but I think if I stay on eggs and salad, and then have my mom bring me a home cooked primal meal on weekends (home is an hour away from the university) that I might be fine.

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Just ditch wheat, sugar/HFC, and seed oils. After that eat whats left for now. As a tip, I would buy my own olive oil to take to that salad bar though

dragonjax is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Along with the great advice above, I'd recommend choosing leaner cuts of meat when available, only because it's safe to assume that cafeteria food won't be high-qualify stuff, so remove chicken skin/cut off visible fat on meat, etc. when you eat on campus. (And even if you don't do that, you'll still be better off than most of the other people in the cafeteria.)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast