Limited Time: Grab your FREE Box of Dark Chocolate Almond Bars Get Yours>>Close
Open
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 24

Thread: Squat form check

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Groningen, Netherlands
    Posts
    1,951

    Squat form check

    Critique is appreciated

    I realize I should try to get my knees further back, this is very hard though. However I do lean on my heels and not on my toes.

    Squat form check - YouTube

    There's all kinds of stuff around the squat rack so this is the best view I could record.
    well then

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Manchester, NH
    Posts
    2,142
    i actually think your knees are fine...they're going to inch out in front of your toes a bit. as long as they are following the direction of your toes, and you're pushing through your heels, you're good.

    when you start your squat, it looks like you're breaking at the knees first, then following with your hips. try to sit back first, then bend your knees (or practice doing both at the same time, which is ideal).

    other than that, looks like pretty good form to me.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Groningen, Netherlands
    Posts
    1,951
    Quote Originally Posted by primalrob View Post
    i actually think your knees are fine...they're going to inch out in front of your toes a bit. as long as they are following the direction of your toes, and you're pushing through your heels, you're good.

    when you start your squat, it looks like you're breaking at the knees first, then following with your hips. try to sit back first, then bend your knees (or practice doing both at the same time, which is ideal).

    other than that, looks like pretty good form to me.
    Alright thanks will adjust that
    well then

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Edmonton Canada
    Posts
    2,547
    I agree with primalrob, try leading with your hips. Good depth too, not ass to grass but well below parallel.
    If you can get a neutral heal shoe like chuck or any of the barefoot shoes. It does seem to help form and does work you harder.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Groningen, Netherlands
    Posts
    1,951
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirlot View Post
    I agree with primalrob, try leading with your hips. Good depth too, not ass to grass but well below parallel.
    If you can get a neutral heal shoe like chuck or any of the barefoot shoes. It does seem to help form and does work you harder.
    Yeah I got vibrams but i neer wear them in the gym in case I let a plate drop on my foot. But during squatting this obviously won't happen. So I will wear them next time
    well then

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Manchester, NH
    Posts
    2,142
    Quote Originally Posted by Gadsie View Post
    Yeah I got vibrams but i neer wear them in the gym in case I let a plate drop on my foot. But during squatting this obviously won't happen. So I will wear them next time
    if the gym allows it, you could also just kick off your shoes and do them in your socks. whatever gets your heel closer to the floor is best.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    111
    Gadsie, Arnold Schwarzenegger used to work out barefoot. A sneaker isn't going to help you much if you drop a plate on your foot.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    847
    Quote Originally Posted by bostonwolf View Post
    Gadsie, Arnold Schwarzenegger used to work out barefoot. A sneaker isn't going to help you much if you drop a plate on your foot.
    He also used to stick a needle in his butt.

    A leather shoe will dissipate some of the force and will protect against low drops, but you're right, a 45lb plate dropped from a couple feet can break your toes no matter what gym shoe you're wearing.
    I didn't like the rules you gave me, so I made some of my own.

    Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and more useful in general. - Mark Rippetoe

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    111
    [QUOTE=federkeil;908921]He also used to stick a needle in his butt.
    QUOTE]

    And this has some bearing on his choice of footwear how?
    ----------
    Primal since August 2012. CW: 317.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    nj
    Posts
    4,474
    i agree with rob too. lead with the hips. other than that, it looks pretty good. definitely try to work on your achilles and calf flexibility a bit too. check out mobilitywod.com for some of kelly's stretches. eventually, your toes will be pointing nearly straight forward. keep up the good work

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •