Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Squat form check page

Gadsie is offline Senior Member

Squat form check

Primal Fuel
    Critique is appreciated

I realize I should try to get my knees further back, this is very hard though. However I do lean on my heels and not on my toes.

Squat form check - YouTube

There's all kinds of stuff around the squat rack so this is the best view I could record.
    Billie trips balls

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    i actually think your knees are fine...they're going to inch out in front of your toes a bit. as long as they are following the direction of your toes, and you're pushing through your heels, you're good.

when you start your squat, it looks like you're breaking at the knees first, then following with your hips. try to sit back first, then bend your knees (or practice doing both at the same time, which is ideal).

other than that, looks like pretty good form to me.

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    I agree with primalrob, try leading with your hips. Good depth too, not ass to grass but well below parallel.
    If you can get a neutral heal shoe like chuck or any of the barefoot shoes. It does seem to help form and does work you harder.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Quote Originally Posted by primalrob View Post
    i actually think your knees are fine...they're going to inch out in front of your toes a bit. as long as they are following the direction of your toes, and you're pushing through your heels, you're good.

when you start your squat, it looks like you're breaking at the knees first, then following with your hips. try to sit back first, then bend your knees (or practice doing both at the same time, which is ideal).

other than that, looks like pretty good form to me.
    Alright thanks will adjust that
    Billie trips balls

Quote Originally Posted by Dirlot View Post
    I agree with primalrob, try leading with your hips. Good depth too, not ass to grass but well below parallel.
    If you can get a neutral heal shoe like chuck or any of the barefoot shoes. It does seem to help form and does work you harder.
    Yeah I got vibrams but i neer wear them in the gym in case I let a plate drop on my foot. But during squatting this obviously won't happen. So I will wear them next time
    Billie trips balls

not on the rug is offline Senior Member
    i agree with rob too. lead with the hips. other than that, it looks pretty good. definitely try to work on your achilles and calf flexibility a bit too. check out mobilitywod.com for some of kelly's stretches. eventually, your toes will be pointing nearly straight forward. keep up the good work

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gadsie View Post
    Yeah I got vibrams but i neer wear them in the gym in case I let a plate drop on my foot. But during squatting this obviously won't happen. So I will wear them next time
    if the gym allows it, you could also just kick off your shoes and do them in your socks. whatever gets your heel closer to the floor is best.

If you drop a plate on your foot, it's not really going to matter if it's a Vibram or a Nike.
    If I just said LOL, I lied. Do or do not. There is no try.

zoebird is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by justyouraveragecavemen View Post
    If you drop a plate on your foot, it's not really going to matter if it's a Vibram or a Nike.
    definitely. the only thing that would protect you is a steel-toed safety (construction) boot, but if you have pins set to catch the bar for you, and if you're using clamps to hold the weight on the bar, and you're removing plates with both hands, then guess what? unlikely to drop a plate on yourself.

I was raised in a gym (my mother did body building from the time I was 3 years old -- this was before gyms had day cares), and i've never had a weight dropped on my foot nor have I dropped one on my foot.

Old school is just to train in bare feet. Now gyms require shoes. Wear the vibrams.

PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    definitely. the only thing that would protect you is a steel-toed safety (construction) boot, but if you have pins set to catch the bar for you, and if you're using clamps to hold the weight on the bar, and you're removing plates with both hands, then guess what? unlikely to drop a plate on yourself.

I was raised in a gym (my mother did body building from the time I was 3 years old -- this was before gyms had day cares), and i've never had a weight dropped on my foot nor have I dropped one on my foot.

Old school is just to train in bare feet. Now gyms require shoes. Wear the vibrams.
    Yeah I definitely will (:
    Billie trips balls

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast