Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Squat form check page 2

Gadsie is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by not on the rug View Post
    i agree with rob too. lead with the hips. other than that, it looks pretty good. definitely try to work on your achilles and calf flexibility a bit too. check out mobilitywod.com for some of kelly's stretches. eventually, your toes will be pointing nearly straight forward. keep up the good work
    What do you mean with toes pointing straight forward? You mean that even with a wide stand I should bend my feet a little so my toes are straight forward?
    well then

when i used to go to an actual gym, i lifted in flip flops. and i heard the "what if you drop a plate on your foot" line so many times, it used to drive me nuts. relaly? like a sneaker is magically going to protect your toes from a 45lb plate falling 3 feet. anyway, when it came time for squats, deadlifts, snatches, etc, i just slipped them off and did them in bare feet.

teach2183 is offline Senior Member
    Don't want to hijack his thread, but I had heard lifting barefoot (especially squat) was bad for you? I workout at home, so can wear whatever I want.

Quote Originally Posted by Gadsie View Post
    What do you mean with toes pointing straight forward? You mean that even with a wide stand I should bend my feet a little so my toes are straight forward?
    pretty much. just google mobility wod squat form, and you see a bunch of different videos of how to work on ankle mobility and achilles flexibility. these are two of the most important things to concentrate on in terms of proper squat form. without anxle and achilles mibility, you're putting your knees and hips in compromised positions

Quote Originally Posted by teach2183 View Post
    Don't want to hijack his thread, but I had heard lifting barefoot (especially squat) was bad for you? I workout at home, so can wear whatever I want.
    you heard wrong

CE402 is offline Senior Member
    you heard wrong
    Depends on the lift and your goals.

There is a reason weightlifting shoes have an incompressible, raised heel.

teach2183 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CE402 View Post

If you're trying to build strength but not bodybuilding, is barefoot okay?

Quote Originally Posted by CE402 View Post

my understanding is that weightlifting shoes with raised heels are only worn for olympic lifts like snatches or clean and jerks. both of which i'd estimate that less than 1% of the people on this forum are doing, particularly at the competitive level. for squats and deads, feet flat on the floor is paramount. take a look at any world's strongest man competition or local strongman competition, and you'll see all of those guys competing in the squat and dead events barefoot.

If you're trying to build strength but not bodybuilding, is barefoot okay?
    barefoot is most definitely ok for strength building, bodybuilding, or any other time you plan on squatting. and don't let anyone else tell you otherwise

federkeil is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    my understanding is that weightlifting shoes with raised heels are only worn for olympic lifts like snatches or clean and jerks. both of which i'd estimate that less than 1% of the people on this forum are doing, particularly at the competitive level. for squats and deads, feet flat on the floor is paramount. take a look at any world's strongest man competition or local strongman competition, and you'll see all of those guys competing in the squat and dead events barefoot.
    It depends on what your focus is. Squatting with a raised heel will allow greater depth and should (depends on persons mechanics) put more focus on your posterior chain while flat foot squats will put more emphasis on your quads.

As for toes pointing forwards... stand in place, which way do your toes point? Unless they're sticking way out to the sides or are pointing inwards that's probably where they should be pointing when you squat. I've known one person who's toes point straight forward when standing in a relaxed pose.

Now, as you narrow your stance for your squats/deads your toes should point more forward than they do for a wide stance lift. This has more to do with knees and hips than it does with ankles. I personally use a wider stance (but not not super wide like power lifters) with my toes 20-30 degrees out from parallel.
    I didn't like the rules you gave me, so I made some of my own.

Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and more useful in general. - Mark Rippetoe

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast