Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Endurance nutrition... page

t0rie is offline Junior Member

Endurance nutrition...

Primal Fuel
    I'm an avid cyclist. (Honestly, never thought that would happen...)

I do an hour cycle 3 days a week before breakfast. No problem. I never run out of energy. All is hunky dory.

But about a month ago I did my first long distance event - 77 miles. I completed it (slowly!). But my nutrition was all over the place. I had my (non-primal, cyclist) friends telling me to 'carb up' beforehand. But carbs make me feel ill. During the ride I didn't fuel myself enough - a couple of energy bars, a gel, isotonic drinks, tons of water.

I want to be better prepared next time.

I am reasonably sure I am 'keto-adaptive'. I have quite a lot of weight to lose (there should be PLENTY of stored energy in this body!). But next time I do a long distance ride, or another triathlon, I don't really want to shock my body with the traditional gels and carb-loaded energy bars.

What do you guys fuel with during long distances? An hour ride, I don't need anything. But the 7 hours on the bike - really probably needed something proper!

THanks!

t0rie
    TheCreativeCaveman | Back to basics cooking in a modern age

Mr. O is offline Junior Member
    It's not Paleo/Primal, but UCAN Superstarch is a relatively new producted that is promoted by low carb/fat adapted endurance athletes. It promotes the use of fat for fuel by not spiking insulin. Other products like Hammer and GU are pure sugar. Superstarch is a slow burn fuel. Some athletes even report using it and not coming out of ketosis during the process. I'm in the process of becoming fat adapted now. Once that happens, I'm going to use Superstarch as fuel during longer races.

not on the rug is online now Senior Member
    sweet potatoes, potatoes, bananas, dates, figs. before, during and after. 7 hours on a bike is no joke. be sure to test yourself with any new foods/products so as not to get stranded 40 miles from home with a bad case of the poos

pace2race is offline Senior Member
    Eat at least two hours before the event also. Digestion takes time for the food to be available to the muscles. Eat whether you are hungry or not. Even a gel takes 45 minutes to help. You've got to eat and eat early. Eating anything the last hour is just aiding post race recovery.
    Last edited by pace2race; 07-21-2012 at 09:44 AM.

RoyHerb is offline Junior Member
    I use beans and a drink mix from ACHIVA NATIVE ENERGY - Chia Seed and Coconut Water Energy Supplement They are made from dehydrated coconut water and chia seeds. It's not totally Primal, but it's a lot more "natural" than a lot of the gels and drinks out there. I've found they work really well for me.

Catherine is offline Senior Member
    try US Wellness Meats Pemmican. I've used it on 7 hr rides. I keep the bars frozen, then snap in 1/2, put in ziplock bag, and by the time i'm ready to eat some, it is ez to squeeze out.

It doesn't look too good but it is good clean fuel.

Mainer is offline Senior Member
    Might want to consider your method of training as well, kinda like placing the cart before the horse when your not looking at the root cause. Check out this dude: Amazon.com: The Big Book of Endurance Training and Racing (9781616080655): Philip Maffetone, Mark Allen: Books
    You'll never see the light if you're in someone else's shadow, or said another way, life is like a dog sled team, if you're not the lead dog, the scenery never changes

BennettC is offline Senior Member
    bannans. dates, and sweet potatoes(carb heavy foods) are the last thing you will want to eat if you are keto-adapted. like catherine said, pemmican will be your best bet. This will supply the fat you need.

Karma is offline Senior Member
    Been coaching and racing primal/paleo for two years.

Generation UCAN one hour before you start.

Then hit 1/2 of one of these bars per hour (265 calories of pure endurance fuel per bar ~ 130 per hour) - Coconut Bars- Original

If that's not enough, hit a half-packet of UCAN every 60-90 minutes to start, may need less.

That's the simplest way to make it work. I have been fueling for distance running (50miles-100miles) using this formula and it keeps me truckin down the trails for 10-19 hours with no issues.

Also, I really like the texture and taste of these home-made fuel bars - Recipe: Allen Lim’s Rice Cakes : LAVA Magazine

Is it 100% Primal/Paleo? No. Is cycling really far all that Primal? No. Its a trade off, but I feel the joy I get from it is worth it.

Dave
    Last edited by Karma; 08-08-2012 at 07:45 PM.

Catherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Karma View Post
    Also, I really like the texture and taste of these home-made fuel bars - Recipe: Allen Limís Rice Cakes : LAVA Magazine

Is it 100% Primal/Paleo? No. Is cycling really far all that Primal? No. Its a trade off, but I feel the joy I get from it is worth it.

Dave
    i've got Allen Lim's book. I'm kinda skeered of all the white rice in it, but i'm kinda thinking of trying something like this bar for our upcoming week of riding in Durango. I stick to pemmican but my husband still likes traditional cyclist sweet stuff. Might try these.

i also bought an omega juicer and we've been drinking beet juice nearly every day.

gonna try those flourless chocolate muffin things too sometime. But i'm a pretty poor baker so i don't have high hopes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast