Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Acne Returned Since Starting Primal page

JesseJe is offline Member

Question Acne Returned Since Starting Primal

Primal Fuel
    I've had some incredible results since going primal over 2 weeks ago. No more intense food cravings, SO MUCH ENEGRY, lost a couple pounds, glowing skin, balanced moods etc.

The only complaint is that I have started breaking out again on my face and its' really irritating because everything else is so great about this diet, and I spent years perfecting my diet/ lifestyle before this to get rid of my acne.

I had acne as a teenager and in my early 20s up until a year ago when I cut out all refined sugar and reduced my grain intake immensely. My acne disappeared completely and would only return if I ate chocolate, soda, or sweets. I was eating a lot of fruit, salads, beans, plant protein with a little bit of fish, bread, eggs and some grains like quinoa and rice. So basically the only thing I have changed in my diet is the addition of more meat, and the complete removal of grains/legumes so I don't see why this would suddenly happen.

I'm wondering what is causing this. Here is my typical daily diet. I exercise for an hour 6 days a week (light run / walk/ sprint/ hill climb then stretching and weights) and get plenty of sun.

Day 1

Breakfast - 2 egg omelette with onion/mushroom spinach and half avocado, Coffee with cream

Lunch - Chicken or salmon with cooked veggies in coconut oil

Snack - grapefruit or banana if hungry

Dinner - Fish or Chicken / Beef over salad greens and raw veggies with lemon

Day 2

Breakfast - Green Smoothie with banana / blue berries / spinach, Coffee With cream

Snack - 4 Brazil nuts or Macademia if hungry

Lunch - 2 egg omelette w 1/4 avocado

Dinner - Chicken / Beef or Bacon with raw veggies

If anyone can help me out here I would be so grateful because I really feel great living this way except for this acne. I might add that the acne is coming on a different place on my face than before with the sugar. (Sugar was chin, Now it is more on my cheek as well as chin) Thanks so much!

zizou is offline Senior Member
    Nuts, cream and coffee could all be contributing, quiet possibly eggs aswell. Then you have to think about your digestive health and if it could do with improving i.e. fermented foods, broths etc.

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    could just be a temporary manifestation of detoxing. toxins and hormones are stored in fat and if you are melting fat stores, this all gets released and may cause some unpleasantness. it should sort itself out.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Quinoa, as I understand, it is a seed, so if you like it, you don't have to give it up.

One way to see if a given food is causing this is to take one away for a week or two, and see if your acne clears up.

It's just odd because I ate nuts cream coffee and eggs before and still had clear skin.. Interesting that Quinoa's a seed! That's cool because I quite like it.

If I'm detoxing then I'll give it another 2 weeks and see if things clear up. After that I'll just remove a food a week and experiment as bit.

Thanks guys

solstice is offline Senior Member
    In the beautiful mountains of Pennsylvania!
    maybe it's more fungal related...seriously try some kind of antifungal on it directly to see if it clears up...also adding some good quality probiotics would be beneficial too!

JudyCr is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by noodletoy View Post
    could just be a temporary manifestation of detoxing. toxins and hormones are stored in fat and if you are melting fat stores, this all gets released and may cause some unpleasantness. it should sort itself out.
    This is what I've read, too. I went thru the same thing. You should see amazing results soon.

In the meantime you could do an oatmeal mask, egg white mask, and make a basil toner by steeping several leaves in hot water for about 15 mins. I found these ideas online when I first went low carb and they really worked.

ryan54 is offline Member
    Eggs and cream could be doing it. What is your blood type?

I'm not sure of my blood type but I'd like to find out. I have increased the amount of eggs I've eaten. Ill try to cut those out first if it doesn't settle down.

oatmeal mask sounds fab

Metric is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I had a mild acne breakout shortly after starting. It went away quickly enough. I think it was a sort of detox symptom. Give it some time. Use mild face wash and try not to touch your face too often, cause the oil from your hands will only exacerbate the issue.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast