Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Acne Returned Since Starting Primal page 2

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I went thorough the same thing when I started eating this way. It's most likely a temporary thing caused by detoxing. Now my skin is clearer than ever.

JesseJe is offline Member
    That's encouraging guys! Will let everyone know how things go in a few weeks.

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Acne is typically caused by milk products. Milk will make my acne and allergies flare up. Funny thing is yogurt and cheese is fine. Perhaps it's the fermentation.

I notice you're using a lot of cream. That may be the culprit. Consider removing all dairy, including heavy cream and butter. A can of coconut milk can easily be substituted for heavy cream without much notice.

As previously mentioned, nuts and eggs are another culprit. In my experience, dairy is the #1 cause of acne and it holds true for me.

Detox could be a cause as well. Time will tell.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    Acne is typically caused by milk products. Milk will make my acne and allergies flare up. Funny thing is yogurt and cheese is fine. Perhaps it's the fermentation.

I notice you're using a lot of cream. That may be the culprit. Consider removing all dairy, including heavy cream and butter. A can of coconut milk can easily be substituted for heavy cream without much notice.

As previously mentioned, nuts and eggs are another culprit. In my experience, dairy is the #1 cause of acne and it holds true for me.

Detox could be a cause as well. Time will tell.
    I've been off all dairy for so many years because a dietician said it could be contributing to my teenage acne. The number of spots on my face dramatically reduced, but they also seemed less inflamed. Scratching out gluten and soy seemed to get rid of most the remaining.

Thing is, I can't remember for the life of *why* dairy is considered a no-no for acne prone folks. I don't know whether it was the proteins, hormones (even in cows not injected with synthetics), and I think I heard her mention something about iodine and dairy. I've also heard people say that cultured or raw dairy is okay. Why? I just kept my distance from all dairy out of fear. It was the easiest thing to get rid of in my diet, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by GuineaPigQueen View Post
    I've been off all dairy for so many years because a dietician said it could be contributing to my teenage acne. The number of spots on my face dramatically reduced, but they also seemed less inflamed. Scratching out gluten and soy seemed to get rid of most the remaining.

Thing is, I can't remember for the life of *why* dairy is considered a no-no for acne prone folks. I don't know whether it was the proteins, hormones (even in cows not injected with synthetics), and I think I heard her mention something about iodine and dairy. I've also heard people say that cultured or raw dairy is okay. Why? I just kept my distance from all dairy out of fear. It was the easiest thing to get rid of in my diet, anyway.
    Well, I don't know why either, but I can tell you the following:

1.) Whey and casein proteins are very inflammatory. They're supposed to be. Milk is natural growth hormone designed by Mother Nature to grow baby cows into 1,000 pound beasts. Without inflammation, we can't grow and our muscles can't repair. Whey protein is the most bioavailable protein out there. Whey protein ranks a 104 on the bioavailability scale. By comparison, eggs fall ~97-100 and beef ranks at 80. Vegetarian proteins like pea/soy/brown rice/peanut/nut/wheat protein fall around a pathetic 50-60. NO protein makes your body grow like dairy protein, not even the best quality meats.

2.) Milk is designed to grow baby cows. Not humans. We can't expect our bodies to digest it perfectly - it wasn't designed for our use.

3.) Milk is chock full of insulin-like growth factor-1 (IGF-1). When you ferment milk, the lactic acid devours IGF-1. Yogurt and cheese is very low in IGF-1 while milk is sky high. Maybe this is why I tolerate yogurt and cheese no problem but milk is trouble?

Whether or not grown men and women who have reached mature adulthood should be guzzling natural growth hormone made for an entirely different species while they sit on their butts at a desk all day is up to you. I'm guessing it's a bad idea. I try and limit my dairy consumption to post-workout since it's when my body SHOULD be growing. I try to avoid significant quantities of dairy if I'm sedentary. That being said, I doubt there is ever a time where grown men and women should be drinking natural growth hormone made for another species.

It paints an interesting picture to put it into that perspective, no? But damn if I don't love dairy....
    Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 07-17-2012 at 03:18 PM.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Hm interesting stuff. My thing is I was completely rid of my acne while still consuming dairy. The amount was about 1/4 cup a day of cream in my coffee(s). I've reduced it to 1 coffee a day now and 2 tablespoons of cream.

Wonder if allergies suddenly show up when you eat 'cleaner' or generally just change your diet around. I've never eaten this much animal protein in my life.

^^^In that case, I'd bank on the detox option. Chances are you're burning a lot of body fat and toxins are literally spilling out of you into your blood stream. Give it 1 or 2 months and see if it starts going away. If not, it could be the nuts/eggs. You may be mildly sensitive where a little every now and again had no effect, but making them dietary staples is enough to cause an issue.

zizou is offline Senior Member
    Dairy breaks me out no question. BUT i do suspect that quality of dairy definitley plays a part. RAW milk which i usually consume, i think i can just about get away with 1 serving a week or 2. I wouldn't want more than that tbh because it's important to keep dairy in moderation i think.

It has to be fermented aswell. I would love to have access to RAW goat milk, which apparantley is even more tolerable.

abstract is offline Junior Member
    Honestly, I don't believe anyone really knows what caues acne. I've been paleo for almost 2 years now and nothing really worked regarding diet. I read Cordain's cure for acne book. I followed it for months with no cheats. It didn't improve. I cut out all dairy. I tried cutting out fruit. I switched to only grass fed beef and wild caught salmon and veggies and coconut oil, mostly. If I could have cured it with diet, I would have by now. I've seen people blame a bad O6/O3 ratio, insulin spikes, inflammation, too much testosterone, and I've attempted to head off each of those things with diet.

The kind of acne I was getting was cystic too. Before I usually just had clogged pores but now I was getting horrible cysts that form big lumps and then leave scars. It was pretty miserable. The only thing that finally cleared it up was taking B5 and L-Carnitine supplements. I take 1 gram B5 and 250 mg L-Carnitine 3x a day and I've only had one cyst since I started this regimen. I found this blog where this doctor explains it a bit: Pantothenic Acid, B5 for Acne by Jeffrey Dach MD.

I don't know if you need to go this route or not. I had a pretty severe case. I cleared it with my doctor, you should maybe consult yours first too. My dermatologist was worthless. He just put me on antibiotics for a while, which did nothing of course. Anyway, that's my story.

Yeah its a pain in the as** for sure. Temperamental for sure if you're prone to it. Seems like anything can flare you up but I honestly did get rid of constant mild acne for almost a year straight just by finally cutting out refined sugar stuff. it would come back like clockwork if i ever ate it so I'm pretty convinced that for me, it was insulin problems which increases production of androgens which increase sebum production which in turn cause acne. Something along those lines made sense for me.

I'm rollin with the detox thing because I have lost quite a bit of body fat already in just 2 weeks. "Blame it' on the massive increase in exercise as well. Will wait it out for now.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast