Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ectomorph needing serious help with nutrition page

swindell is offline Junior Member

Ectomorph needing serious help with nutrition

I started going full primal for the last few weeks and I've really struggled getting enough food into my diet. I'm 5'10 and weigh at dead weight in mornings 156lbs. My bf is 9-10% which is pretty low, but I'm wanting to add a little more lean mass to my frame. The problem I see is that I hit my protein intake of 1g/1lb of body weight fairly quickly and usually hover around 3,000-3,200 net calories a day with a 40/30/30 split for protein, fats and carbs on my macro nutrients. A typical day of my diet for example would consist of the following:

Breakfast:
    4 eggs
    3 pieces of bacon and a whole avocado

Lunch:
    tuna or salmon or chicken 3-4 servings
    whole head of broccoli,
    baby carrots 1-2 servings
    1-2 servings of berries.

Dinner:
    meaty dinner with steak or organic beef burger 3-4 servings
    bell peppers 1 1/2 serving
    cherry tomatoes 1 serving
    1-2 slices of bacon.
    2 servings of almond milk before bed

Snacks: 1-2 servings of pistachios or other nuts
    I also have been cheating with one whey protein isolate shake immediately following my workouts that consists of 3g fat 4g carb and 17g of protein. (will drop this eventually and replace with serving of chicken or something)

Is there anyway I could get more in my diet without stressing my body out too much to where it's always having to work. I feel like if I continue the trend I'm on now I won't see much improvement other than the fat on my body continuing to decrease. Should I just start eating more fat in my diet and cut back on my veggies? It's hard being an ectomorph (my metabolism is crazy fast) and would really appreciate any advice you guys have.

Sincerely,

A Struggling Primal Ectomorph
    -Sam
    Last edited by swindell; 07-16-2012 at 04:44 PM.

icz
    icz is offline Member
    Um, no offense but you are already pretty darn lean. Please tell me when I am that lean I will get another hobby rather than obsessing about my physique. Find something you love to do, and do it.

swindell is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by icz View Post
    Um, no offense but you are already pretty darn lean. Please tell me when I am that lean I will get another hobby rather than obsessing about my physique. Find something you love to do, and do it.
    If you have nothing positive to contribute please don't clog this thread. I'm looking to gain more lean mass. I love great nutrition, I'm not obsessing. Everyone has their own fitness goals.

noodletoy is online now Senior Member
    what are you doing for exercise? it may be that's the avenue to address, more so than diet ratios.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

solstice is offline Senior Member
    In the beautiful mountains of Pennsylvania!
    my hubby is an ectomorph...and dropped weight crazy fast after giving up bread and most grains--- 6'4" and 178lbs. The numbers almost sound too low but he has muscle and actually looks fantastic! I can't help you too much with your questions though!

Dirlot is online now Senior Member
    Good compound lifting program.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Stevenhamley is offline Senior Member
    Your typical day doesn't look like it contains 3,000-3,200 calories or 30% carb. Where are the fruits and starches? I'm less than 30% carbs and in a typical day I have 3 pieces of fruit and a sweet potato as well as non-starchy vegetables.

40% protein is way too high. At that level and with your bf% I'm suprised if you're not hitting the early stages of rabbit starvation (protein toxicity).

I'm in a similar position as you (6', 157lb, ~7% bf) so I can't stand on any personal experience, but I would suggest decreasing protein to 1g/lb by choosing fatty meat, and adding both fruit and starches

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Seems to me that adding more fat and carbs would help you out. Butter, cream, beef tallow, fattier cuts of meat plus a healthy dose of sweet potatoes, squash, white rice, potatoes - that combo should help you gain.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    1. Nutrition looks good, so I wouldn't worry about it. Looks to me like it's sorted.

2. look into Hard gainer method for gaining muscle mass in the gym. This training is designed for ectomorphs, and it works. My husband is an ectomorph -- eats about as much calories as you (slightly less these days, honestly, thank god), and has gained muscle using this method. LOTS of muscle.

He's lean -- about 8-10% body fat, and he gains lean muscle as he goes. He had an injury that kept him out of the gym for two years (still was able to do body weight stuff, gently, which did keep most of his mass on his frame), and he started living about 3 months ago. Since then, he's gained about 15 lbs of just muscle -- body fat staying the same -- and he'd like to gain another 5-10 lbs of lean muscle (up to being 175 on his 5 ft 7 frame).

After that, he just gains strength, and isn't worried about more muscle per se, or more growth or however you want to call it. At that weight/height, his BMI is "obese" but of course, he's solid.

And most people do not think he's an ectomorph to look at him. but he is.

So, stuart mcrobert -- hard gainer method. OK?

Darz is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Or maybe it could be "Ectomorph = not eating enough" - Your diet seems fairly good but is lacking in carbs, don't get the idea that they are bad for you - eat rice, potatoes, fruits... In my case, when I started leangains, I realized I was underestimating my caloric intake, was only getting about 1600 a day, since then I've got to about 2800 a day and I'm still not gaining - so must keep on adding more, though no longer doing leangains.
    Last edited by Darz; 07-17-2012 at 04:29 AM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast