Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ectomorph needing serious help with nutrition page 3

swindell is offline Junior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I'm going to implement Starting Strength and give it a whirl for a couple months alongside the increase of carb intake and fatty meats. Anyone have any success with a reputable multivitamin that is credible and actually contains what it says it does on the bottle? I watched Food Inc. and Food matters the other day for some extra motivation to stay primal (highly recommend viewing...it helped...hah) and I'm convinced I need to find some good vitamins to supplement on days I may miss essential nutrients even though I'm eating super healthy organic whole foods.

Iron Will is offline Senior Member
    Carbohydrates don't build muscle. Protien builds muscle. If you want to increase your lean mass, increase your protien to 1.5g - 2.0 grams of protien per pound of body weight. Someone was saying they were surprised you weren't in rabbit starvation because of the massive amounts of protien you're intaking. Rabbit starvation was coined because of the amount of protien vs fat in a rabbit. If you only ate lean protien with no fat then you could possibly fall into rabbit starvation but that's if you're ONLY eating lean protien and nothing else.

Carbohydrates are one of two main sources of energy, the other being fats. If you increase the amount of carbs in your diet and are not using them you will become more insulin resistant and store fat in the "love handles". Fats however are not going to cause you to gain fat if you eat them. They are an excellent source of energy and are what we should be using as an energy source vs. carbs. They have a very minimal insulin reaction which is what you want and your body doesn't need to convert them to be used. Lots of saturated and omega 3 fatty acids are the best choices to make.

Use fats as your energy source and increase your protien. The ratios (If you are looking to build muscle while staying lean) should be as follows : Protien - 55%, Fats - 30%, Carbs - 15%

Your volume looks good and your program looks good. Make sure to lift heavy weights with low reps and lots of rest in between. Just change your macros and you'll start gaining in no time. By the way, keep the protien shake right after your work out but try to find one that's got 40 - 50 grams of protien per serving and low carbohydrates. No need to add body fat with extra sugars when you're trying to stay lean.

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    instead of supplements in pill form, add bone broth. try to have some most days. the proteins and minerals are far more bio-available than anything in a pill.

you're already super-lean. you can up your carbs and not worry about trying to stay in ketosis. instead of more fruit though, some starchy tubers and/or root veggies may be a better addition.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

cfrizzle88 is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Iron Will View Post
    Carbohydrates don't build muscle. Protien builds muscle. If you want to increase your lean mass, increase your protien to 1.5g - 2.0 grams of protien per pound of body weight. Someone was saying they were surprised you weren't in rabbit starvation because of the massive amounts of protien you're intaking. Rabbit starvation was coined because of the amount of protien vs fat in a rabbit. If you only ate lean protien with no fat then you could possibly fall into rabbit starvation but that's if you're ONLY eating lean protien and nothing else.

Carbohydrates are one of two main sources of energy, the other being fats. If you increase the amount of carbs in your diet and are not using them you will become more insulin resistant and store fat in the "love handles". Fats however are not going to cause you to gain fat if you eat them. They are an excellent source of energy and are what we should be using as an energy source vs. carbs. They have a very minimal insulin reaction which is what you want and your body doesn't need to convert them to be used. Lots of saturated and omega 3 fatty acids are the best choices to make.

Use fats as your energy source and increase your protien. The ratios (If you are looking to build muscle while staying lean) should be as follows : Protien - 55%, Fats - 30%, Carbs - 15%

Your volume looks good and your program looks good. Make sure to lift heavy weights with low reps and lots of rest in between. Just change your macros and you'll start gaining in no time. By the way, keep the protien shake right after your work out but try to find one that's got 40 - 50 grams of protien per serving and low carbohydrates. No need to add body fat with extra sugars when you're trying to stay lean.
    Speaking from experience, I went from 6'4 155 to 6'4 230 (still "lean" too if you looked at me even at 230) in about 2 years adding a lot of carbohydrates in. At 155 it was impossible to gain any sort of weight at all. Being an ectomorph, the idea of adding lean mass without fat is wishful thinking. During those 2 years I worked out a grand total of maybe 20 times.

Quote Originally Posted by cfrizzle88 View Post
    Speaking from experience, I went from 6'4 155 to 6'4 230 (still "lean" too if you looked at me even at 230) in about 2 years adding a lot of carbohydrates in. At 155 it was impossible to gain any sort of weight at all. Being an ectomorph, the idea of adding lean mass without fat is wishful thinking. During those 2 years I worked out a grand total of maybe 20 times.
    With all due respect, if you're 230 pounds and 6'4" tall but have only worked out a grand total of 20 times, you're not lean.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    If the person worked out every 10-12 days very heavy in hard gainer method, then that would be 30 workouts. SO, it's possible.

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    I work out every 7 days and gain muscle mass consistently these past several months. Course it will be interesting to see if this continues beyond my previous highest lean weight. I should be approaching that by the end of the year. But, I've done mine on closer to 65%f/25%p/10%c type of eating. There may be more than one way to skin a cat

cfrizzle88 is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Iron Will View Post
    With all due respect, if you're 230 pounds and 6'4" tall but have only worked out a grand total of 20 times, you're not lean.
    You have never even seen a picture of me so I think your statement is unfounded. Fuck off.

Quote Originally Posted by cfrizzle88 View Post
    You have never even seen a picture of me so I think your statement is unfounded. Fuck off.
    You're right. I've never seen a picture. I apologize for my comment.

That being said, if you read my original post I do recommend that swindell increases his fats, not the other way around.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    I work out every 7 days and gain muscle mass consistently these past several months. Course it will be interesting to see if this continues beyond my previous highest lean weight. I should be approaching that by the end of the year. But, I've done mine on closer to 65%f/25%p/10%c type of eating. There may be more than one way to skin a cat
    Neckhammer, can you go over what you're eating for your fats? I'm very interested and would like to experiment on myself. I've always gone by the heavy protien then fats diet and low carbs but to hear you're success makes me want to learn more. I'm thinking the reason could be because your fats are keeping your cholesterol up quite high so you're getting a very strong androgen response. Thoughts?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast