Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ectomorph needing serious help with nutrition page 2

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Good stuff on this thread, let me summarize:

1. Use the proper lifting program- good choice would be Starting Strength, Strong Lifts, or Squats and Milk(milk can be replaced something of equal macros).
    2. Eat more of everything, especially carbs.
    3. Get enough sleep.

If you do these things, it will solve your problem. If it doesn't, either start a new thread or PM me, and we'll troubleshoot it.

wolfman is offline Senior Member
    Just eat more, get fat and lift.

swindell is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Apex Predator View Post
    Good stuff on this thread, let me summarize:

1. Use the proper lifting program- good choice would be Starting Strength, Strong Lifts, or Squats and Milk(milk can be replaced something of equal macros).
    2. Eat more of everything, especially carbs.
    3. Get enough sleep.

If you do these things, it will solve your problem. If it doesn't, either start a new thread or PM me, and we'll troubleshoot it.
    Lots of great tips in here, appreciate all the help guys, you're awesome. Right now I do stick to compound lifting. Bench press, deadlift, squats, pull-ups, planks, etc. I think my biggest challenge is I'm just gonna have to start lifting heavier and reduce my reps in the gym to trick my body into getting bigger to compensate. The carb thing for me kinda spurred off of Mark's article with the graph that has the sweet spot around 50-75 g carbs per day and I was trying to stick in that range with all of the carbs I'm already eating. I was afraid maybe my body would not convert over to a fat burning machine instead of being busy with the carbs. I'll start putting sweet potatoes, brown rice, more fatty meats and more fruits into my diet and see if that helps out on the gains too. Thanks for all the help and keep the tips coming! Hopefully I can post results in a couple months to show the difference this change makes.

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    Pick a good routine like Starting Strength, you should aim to increase weight every session.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by swindell View Post
    Lots of great tips in here, appreciate all the help guys, you're awesome. Right now I do stick to compound lifting. Bench press, deadlift, squats, pull-ups, planks, etc. I think my biggest challenge is I'm just gonna have to start lifting heavier and reduce my reps in the gym to trick my body into getting bigger to compensate. The carb thing for me kinda spurred off of Mark's article with the graph that has the sweet spot around 50-75 g carbs per day and I was trying to stick in that range with all of the carbs I'm already eating. I was afraid maybe my body would not convert over to a fat burning machine instead of being busy with the carbs. I'll start putting sweet potatoes, brown rice, more fatty meats and more fruits into my diet and see if that helps out on the gains too. Thanks for all the help and keep the tips coming! Hopefully I can post results in a couple months to show the difference this change makes.
    50-100g = WEIGHT LOSS

100-150g = MAINTENANCE

Not sure where you saw anything that implied you MUST stay at 50-75g, but you don't have to. You have to remember his carb curve works in conjunction with HIS recommended level of activity.

Heck if your trying to gain weight I'm pretty sure you could grab some more fruit or sweet potato. I'd leave the rice as my last choice, but thats just my opinion....experiment a bit and find out what you like.

Oh, heck I just have to add in that I don't shoot for gratuitous hypertrophy. I sit in that 50-100g range, but I'm not trying to put on weight.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 07-17-2012 at 07:06 AM.

swindell is offline Junior Member
    Thanks for clarification! I try to stick to mostly berries as the 150g threshold is pretty easy to hit with orange juice and bananas in my diet, but have cut those out and have started eating mainly berries for fruit and other in season things like peaches and plums. I love sweet potatoes so that change won't be difficult.

samiamm is offline Senior Member
    I think you should try HIIT training.

Zelli88 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by swindell View Post
    I started going full primal for the last few weeks and I've really struggled getting enough food into my diet. I'm 5'10 and weigh at dead weight in mornings 156lbs. My bf is 9-10% which is pretty low, but I'm wanting to add a little more lean mass to my frame. The problem I see is that I hit my protein intake of 1g/1lb of body weight fairly quickly and usually hover around 3,000-3,200 net calories a day with a 40/30/30 split for protein, fats and carbs on my macro nutrients. A typical day of my diet for example would consist of the following:

Breakfast:
    4 eggs
    3 pieces of bacon and a whole avocado

Lunch:
    tuna or salmon or chicken 3-4 servings
    whole head of broccoli,
    baby carrots 1-2 servings
    1-2 servings of berries.

Dinner:
    meaty dinner with steak or organic beef burger 3-4 servings
    bell peppers 1 1/2 serving
    cherry tomatoes 1 serving
    1-2 slices of bacon.
    2 servings of almond milk before bed

Snacks: 1-2 servings of pistachios or other nuts
    I also have been cheating with one whey protein isolate shake immediately following my workouts that consists of 3g fat 4g carb and 17g of protein. (will drop this eventually and replace with serving of chicken or something)

Is there anyway I could get more in my diet without stressing my body out too much to where it's always having to work. I feel like if I continue the trend I'm on now I won't see much improvement other than the fat on my body continuing to decrease. Should I just start eating more fat in my diet and cut back on my veggies? It's hard being an ectomorph (my metabolism is crazy fast) and would really appreciate any advice you guys have.

Sincerely,

A Struggling Primal Ectomorph
    -Sam
    A lot of people are mentioning eating more carbs and fat. I think these definitely help in building muscle, but I think nutrients are much more important. Try experimenting with getting more Zinc, Vitamin A, Calcium, etc...etc..in your diet. I believe nutrients are much more essential to muscle building than protein/carbs/fats..

Either experiment and find which ones help you the most, or get a very balanced multivitamin from a reputable seller..Perhaps research in which nutrients help build the most muscle? I know Zinc, Calcium and Vitamin A have been known to help.

I used to be 108 lbs 5"8 last year at this time. I'm now 131 lbs. Although I eat a bit more, I can tell you that getting the proper nutrients in my diet did the trick. You'll never build muscle in a depleted body. I'm an ectomorph, too. I always struggled to put on weight, until I took a different approach.

Darz is offline Senior Member
    Don't forget though that that curve is a basic guideline, it doesn't apply to every one, I tried to follow it too the same you are doing now and it was terrible - Over the course of about 4 months I started to increase the carbs and can now safely eat 300g every day - though I am active.
    Last edited by Darz; 07-17-2012 at 07:57 AM.

RaiseFitness is offline Junior Member
    Seems like to much lean protein and not enough fat. 40% of calories from protein is pretty high. Also if you want to add muscle mass, reduce your lifting and do heavy reps less often. Give yourself plenty of recovery time. BTW, I am 5'7" 144 5% BF for reference.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast